Skittish Cat + Flea Collar

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve had a 2 yr old male rescue for about 2 months and things have gotten better since his first few days. He loves to be pet and be near us. However he does not like to be picked up and will sometimes run away if you make the slightest movement.

So last week we got him a new brush and I found exactly 2 fleas on him. I’d never noticed any fleas while petting him before that, except I would pull out small black peppery looking dots which the internet tells me is dried blood from fleas feasting on him. So I bought a flea collar and come flea/tick spray but I cannot get him to comply. He freaks out if we get the collar near him even after I let him sniff it and left it near him overnight. With the spray, you’re supposed to spray him then massage it into his fur/skin. But after I get some on him he immediately runs away and I can’t massage him.

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with getting collars of any kind on skittish cats? Is there perhaps a natural calming agent I can use to make him a bit more docile for an hour or so? Any advice is appreciated!

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feliway may help calm him down.

When I first got my cats a collars they wouldn't have any of it, it needs to smell like them, be apart of them, so i suggest putting it in his bed, or under him when he sleeps.

I no longer have collars on my cats due to a scare, one of my boys got it court on some furniture, he got so stressed I never want to put him or my other cats through that - worse than a cat falling into the swimming pool or bath type of stress. I do have microchips in all 5.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried feliway and it doesn’t really seem to work. I had the spray and diffuser and I never noticed any change. He’s a relatively easy going cat it’s just he can get skittish if we get to close which can make Flea management difficult.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a spot-on type? It's quick, easy no rubbing in just open it, and quickly put it on your cats back of the neck, this is how we now do it with taffy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I highly recommending stick with the monthly flea medications as recommended by your local vet. The flea collars can be very dangerous. You have a strong lasting chemical sitting inches from your cats face for a long period of time. Cats have been known to have severe reactions to those chemicals including death. Most flea collars do not have an effective break away feature making them very dangerous and another possible fatal flaw. Finally, from my vet, all they do really is create a barrier to keep fleas from going past your cats neck. Which means that its more putting a wall around your cats head to section out living space for the fleas.

I also am not a fan of most off brand sprays or chemicals as many are poor copies or too strong for regular use. I have tried to save money in the past on them and they either don't work or cause bad reactions. I say to get the one your vet recommends because some treatments are no effective in different regions. Frontline does nothing to the fleas in my area but it is highly effective for others.

I would recommend calling your vet to find out what products they recommend and go with that. Listen to your cat, if he wants nothing to do with the collar it probably is not your best option.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that’s what happened to one of my cats Taffy getting court on furniture, if I wasn’t there, or he was out going to the bathroom and that happens he no doubt would be here today. I stay away from all cat collars now even ones that claim to be safe and have a break open feature.