Skipped a dose of chemo…hasn’t he earned it?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My dear Zorro has been taking chemo pills every 3rd day since winter…I feel as if I owe him a break just this one time. He’s freaking 18, and it’s HOT. I know those kidneys must be working overtime, and I don’t get, since he is in remission, why I need to keep on doing this. He actually seems more lively w/out today’s dose. Tomorrow I’m breaking down and looking into a mini split just for him, cos this heat is crazy…he is stoic, but the extra stress can’t be doing his organs any good. You have to try to do your best, whatever the circumstance. I guess this is more of a vent than a question, but maybe my question is: do you think it’s OK just this once, if I skip a chemo dose? I don’t want him to struggle with this heat AND the intense chemicals… a part of me wonders if he still needs it. It makes me feel a bit like Nurse Ratchet to his RP McMurphy….I just wanna bust out and take him on a fishing trip, a last hurrah!

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not a vet so I can’t answer that medically. But if I was in that situation I would weigh what is he taking them for vs how does he feel on them vs how long is this prolonging his life?

my cat is 18 and I told my vet to stop testing her blood because I am not goin to put her thru any treatment if something is wrong.

again this is only my opinion and others may not agree with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Good imput. Thank you: you weigh what the cat feels vs. what the vet advises. I’m gonna give him a ride just this once.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good imput. Thank you: you weigh what the cat feels vs. what the vet advises. I’m gonna give him a ride just this once.
Yes. I know how my cat gets if I have to give her pills or anything. After about the 2nd day she will run from me anytime she even sees me coming, even if I’m just planning to walk by. To me, it’s not worth stressing my cat out. Mine has been on prednisone her whole life for asthma which could cause diabetes. I’m not going to put her thru daily shots if it ever came to that point because it will ruin her daily living. You know your cat so you have to do what’s best for him.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really discuss this with your Vet. Your Vet knows your cat.. For me, I would really not listen to internet prescribing advice; especially ones that have you question your Vet--do not know you, or your cats complete medical history. I think you know what I am referring to---not this site; from a different site. Since I no longer have access to that site, I do not know what is being said, about your situation.

I would think you need to have a serious conversation with You Vet.. Your internal Med Vet or the Oncologist--whomever prescribed the chemo meds.
This is not to be stopped lightly.. and sometimes with an immediate stoppage to medications, there are side effects..
Sometimes, doses have to be tapered down..
And there are things to watch for...

You need real medial supervision before discontinuing any medications. And close monitoring..

Zorro being in remission is awesome.. you want him to remain as healthy as he can be, for as long as he can.

Only saying this for the good of You and Zorro...((hugs))