Skinny pregnant cat

ShadowBanned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have a cat who is pregnant (again) and she is a skinny cat. She always gets super skinny when she starts nursing. I'm worried because she hasn't had much time in between these pregnancies. I want her spayed so bad but it's pretty much impossible here we don't have enough vets. I am going to have to travel out of town after this one to get it done. Anyway, I wormed her a couple months ago. Should I do it again now? I just got her started on Purina pro plan kitten. I also started feeding meats like no salt added sardines, tuna and chicken breast. I've been adding duck fat to her food too. I also got some powdered kmr and mix it into fresh goats milk because she's picky. How much kmr should I be giving her to gain weight? Thanks in advance for any advice.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS. We had a pregnant stray and she got really skinny while nursing. (It was her first litter and she was a very small cat to begin with.) We tried our best to fatten her up with extra cat food, but it didn't seem to help. I am not familiar with kmr but hope someone will come along who can give input on cat nutrition.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might feel full after eating. Your switch to kitten food for her while she's carrying the kittens will probably help. Kitten food has higher calorie density than regular cat food. KMR has calcium which she'll lose from her own bones and teeth making those little kitten bones if she doesn't get enough calcium. I don't have any data on how much KMR you should give, but try a half-cup/100 ml or so a day. That should be a reasonable start.

I did a 'quick-and-dirty' calculation from their website and KMR is about 90 kcal per half-cup, mixed to their recommendations. That's perhaps half the daily need of a mature cat, but remember she's eating for several more. This is in addition to her other food.

It's just a best guess. Perhaps someone else has more practical information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShadowBanned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know where I can get a reference for the amount of calories, fat, protein, vitamin requirements for cats?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just searched "cat dietary requirements" using Google. I did put in "KMR" to narrow it down a bit and that led me to PetAg's website (they're the maker of KMR-brand cat milk replacement).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Forget about calories. Feed her as much as she wants of kitten food. If she doesn’t like kitten wet food, feed her adult wet food with dry kitten chow availabe 24/7, along with fresh water.

Also offer people food like boiled, shredded chicken or scrambled eggs, or plain, full fat yogurt if she will eat it. Some cats even like pieces of steak or hamburger. Some cats like cheese.

Offer up to 1/2 cup a day of kitten formula in a dish for her to drink during pregnancy and through nursing for the calcium.

Go ahead and book a spay appointment for 8 weeks after the kittens wean. It’s okay to worm her again, but she may just be skinny because she’s not been allowed to fully develop because of pregnancies and nursing.

As long as she gets good nutrition, she’ll be fine even if skinny. Her system is working hard!

Keep her 100% inside after the litter is born so there is NO chance for her to mate, even if she goes into heat again before spaying and while still nursing. She’ll get through it.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:

ShadowBanned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's always been a small cat. She is an escape artist. She got pregnant this time by escaping through an access panel to the shower knobs and crawled out under the house through who knows what's down there...
I always have dry kitten food for her and fresh water. Instead of wet food I've been feeding her meat with some duck fat mixed in. Either chicken, tuna or sardines with no salt added usually. I'm also giving her powdered kmr mixed in fresh goat milk. It's probably a ton of calories now that I think about it. Lol I just hope if I keep it up she will put some weight on or at least not lose any after she starts nursing.
The last litter was 5 kittens but the first 2 were stillborn. I hope it goes better this time. She looks bigger this time. I'm so glad I was there to help last time. I think she wanted me there. She's a really snobby cat but when she's in labor she loves me lol cats.. 😂
I'll post updates and some pics of her tomorrow, thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add, together with yours excellent extra feeding, it may be wise to give more fat. Say, some melted butter is good.
OR, if you give kitten food thorough, it should prob be enough with fat. Kitten food is typically much more fatty than for adults; even twice.
(in dry cat food, it should be 20-24%, not the 12 percent as is typical for adult cats).

ShadowBanned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I add in pure duck fat. Lol I'll send pics of the food arsenal today too

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know where I can get a reference for the amount of calories, fat, protein, vitamin requirements for cats?