Skin Problem in 8 month old kitten

balibabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ringworm can be resistive to some meds. There are different kinds of ringworm not just one strand. You really should switch to lamisil and you should do the lime sulfur dips. If you have found another spot you may have to step it up a notch as far as treatment of your kitty. Dip in lime sulfur every three days, treat with lamisil and isolate. And of course clean like crazy. I don't mean to sound aggressive or tough but ringworm is hard to get rid of and you have to be more aggressive than it. Good luck, you are in my thoughts!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh :( well unfortunately I can only do what I can do. I can't be any more aggressive as I have carpets and things I can't afford to ruin with bleach. Taking them up is not an option. This is my first home and I'm not ruining it for the sake of a fungus. I Hoover daily, I wash bedding every other day, I bleach floors and counters and damp dust. The cats get cream and oral meds. Not forgetting good quality expensive food. I'm spending a fortune on this. Budget won't allow more. Other than that it's just too hot. And I work late so I can't spend my evenings cleaning like crazy. It's already taking two hours every evening on top of cooking as it is and my boyfriend is worried for my sanity. My mum thought I needed anti depressants. Urgh :( Sorry moaning done with. It's just proper annoying!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr

I will ask the vet about lamisil once this course of treatment is complete. But to be honest as soon as the spot appeared it seemed to disappear and he now just seems to have a mucky face where it looked sore. I put something on called daktacort which is anti inflammatory, anti fungal and anti bacterial. It seemed to help within two days and looks much better today.

I feel utterly shattered. He's only had one culture so far so long road ahead I guess.... Thanks for the advice. Will keep looking for an air purifier. The ones with HEPA were all telling me they were no good for ringworm. Not sure if that's true though

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have fought this long and hard.  Does the kitten still have problems too?

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep checking her but not that I can tell. She has medium length fur though so it would be difficult to see. I think Frankie just jad a few areas that developed slowly and whilst on these oral meds they've shown up darker if that makes sense. So for all I know it could be that they're healing.

Will keep doing. Just hope I don't crack! I just don't want to miss the best years of their lives by concentrating on cleaning and treating rather than their gorgeous little selves. I don't want to make them miserable by it all It's only a fungal infection I guess it could be far far worse. Fleas are pretty horrid.

balibabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ValG, I wasted three months on the itraconozole.  The infection didn't start clearing until I started using Lamisil.  Lamisil is harmless to your cat.  

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Balibabies. Will have a word with my vet next week. They're booked in Wednesday evening on the last day of the itraconazole treatment. Will complete the course first. Then I know I've tried that oral treatment. He looks better to be honest. As soon as a spot appears it starts to darken and fade. Looks yellow in the end. And to be honest they could be heat spots. They've gone down since Ive seen them. It's been ridiculously hot lately. He's even been panting - I did get him checked for this by the vet by the way and all ok. Either way he's unaffected and happy :) gets plenty attention and chicken haha.

I have been reading about this.... The Airfree P40 Room Air Purifier. Now I've emailed the supplier who's claiming it gets rid of 99% of airborne fungal spores. It basically sucks them into the chamber and incinerates them. Sounds satisfying :) what do we think? I'm willing to try it.

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's some more photos. An improvement. You have to look close to see the dark 'mucky' areas. They're at the side of his nose and on the bridge. Also a spot just under his right eye. The first photo is from Friday so I'm hoping you'll agree it's better than it was.

balibabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So much better. Get the air purifier. It can only help. We specifically got the hepa filters because we read that it does help get rid of the spores.

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) he's still got a few yellow areas on his nose but I think that's the ringworm healing if you like. I know the treatment is designed to destroy the fungus cells. It lasts about 7 days or so and fades. It just looks like he has a mucky face.

I got two of the air purifiers. They specifically cited they rid fungal spores and also don't use filters so they don't need replacing. The core heats to 200+ degrees and burns any airborne spores around if run 24/7 for minimal 3 weeks in one room. So have one in each of the two main rooms they're in. Hopefully when this heatwave goes the ringworm will clear quicker. Humidity increase doesn't help it to stay contained. Two more days on meds then vets. Will keep you posted and will make sure to ask about the lamisil :)

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry been so tired lately haha :)

Going ok. Still treating them both. More the spores than lesions. Frankie's face seems to have stubborn areas that won't heal but others, like near his tear ducts, have fur growing back. He looks much better! I started using Malaseb shampoo on the areas required. His whole head is being shampooed twice a week. In two weeks of using this he's looking better and it appears to be healing quicker. I have another two rounds of itraconazole to treat both with and the cat rescue are taking them for me whilst on holiday next Saturday. Though if the Icelandic volcano erupts ash I may be staying here in the UK.

I have them both on a high meat complete diet now too - feringa, catz finefood, Cosma tuna, wainwright as well as a few others to rotate with. Trying to boost their immune system so we can kick it faster. I have relaxed more now I think. It's just going to take time and it's become so part of my daily routine it seems normal to me.

Still cleaning daily. Bleach solutions on everything that can be bleached and I get the boyfriend to Hoover every day to help. Not sure it's helping but of it lowers chance of reinfection I am happy to continue with that thought on mind.

Here are some photos for you :)

Last edited:

valg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it's been a long time since an update. Frankie's now 14 months old and we received a negative culture!! :) extremely relieved. I have been cleaning every other day and bleaching most surfaces and hoovering but seems to have worked. Ultimately the Malaseb shampoo seems to have speeded the healing up more along with the itrafungol. He's not had itrafungol since 16th September and it's been 3 months since his last lesion healed. He has some scarring on his cheeks but looks so much better don't you think? :)