Skin infection, any ideas what to do?

floridaguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Attached is my neighbor's cat that they let outside.  It must have gotten into a fight, as you can see from the picture (or maybe it's some other ailment, I don't know).

They don't do anything to care for the cat.  I would think it would need to go to the vet.

I want to help it, cause I feel bad.

Any ideas what I can do to help it heal quicker?

I was thinking of trying to put some neosporin on the infected area (if it will let me).

Thanks!

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try to put some neosporin on it. I always put neosporin on Lucky's fight wounds, and if they haven't abcessed, it heals them up nicely. Are you able to take the kitty to the vet? If so that would be the best option. :nod:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not use neosporin without asking the vet. That's not to be ingested. You can get some clear aloe gel at the drug store and use that instead, it's not toxic and good at healing. It must be clear! 

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It does look pretty bad, could need antibiotics. The best and safest way to help is Betadine Skin Cleanser, its an antiseptic that is safe for all animals

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually wouldn't mess with that wound. For now anyway--if it gets angry red and starts oozing pus, you would have to keep it open so it wouldn't become abcessed. You can do that by washing it every day with warm saline water. But unless it does get infected, I wouldn't touch it. Sometimes we can mess up the natural healing process.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually wouldn't mess with that wound. For now anyway--if it gets angry red and starts oozing pus, you would have to keep it open so it wouldn't become abcessed. You can do that by washing it every day with warm saline water. But unless it does get infected, I wouldn't touch it. Sometimes we can mess up the natural healing process.
It looks angry red already, which means it can get infected.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any wound CAN get infected. But unless it does, messing with it (especially using antibacterials) can do more harm than good. There are good bacteria that fight the bad bacteria, and antibacterials kill both kinds. And then sometimes the bad bacteria come back faster and stronger than the good bacteria. Anyway, I wouldn't. Maybe a wash with saline solution (you can Google for the proper ratios), but nothing stronger.