Skin Condition??

rvntfln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm very new here and in fact I just came here to get some insight. So, my cat recently gave birth to kittens. They were born on March 30th, so they'll be 3 weeks here soon.

All has been well, until a couple of days ago I noticed a patch of what looked like missing fur on one of the kitten's legs. I voiced my concerns to my mom after doing research and not coming up with anything, and she said it was probably dry skin.. I was very skeptical because it looked a bit more serious than that to me. There is missing fur and the skin looks extremely rough and flakey.

Eventually my mom convinced me that it was fine and I just decided to let it go. Today, however, I noticed the same condition across the same kitten's face above her eye. I keep researching and I cannot find anything. When my mom gets home tomorrow I will let her know that we need to bring the kitten to the vet, but I wanted to see if anyone here could give me an idea of what it is, and if there's anything I can do for her in the meantime. She is the only one showing these symptoms.

Thank you so much, here are some pictures:
IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0802.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are right that the kitten needs to see the vet asap. The vet will need to take a skin scraping and look at it under the microscope.

It looks like it could be ringworm, which is a fungal infection and is highly contagious.

It could also be mange, but there is absolutely no way I can know for sure which it is.

Mange is caused by mites, and is also highly contagious.

Both conditions are treatable, but take time. The mom cat and other kittens may need to be treated also.

Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
As Sarthur2 Sarthur2 says, the vet is a must, and asap. If it is ringworm, it is able to be passed to humans, but whatever it is, it urgently needs attention.

Let us know how you go, and welcome to TCS :wave3: