Skin and Stomach Problem

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone . . . . .

how are you all doing. I have a male cat Sandy. He is almost 10 weeks of age. About 2 weeks ago he got sick, started vomiting, stopped eating and was so weak. We thought that we may be loosing him, but the vets medication and care, he recovered. After that it took him many days to start passing out stool. Though still his stool was very solid and sometimes in from of beads. Other than that he was normal, actively playful. We have been feeding him fresh boiled fish and boiled chicken and also lil-nibbles cat food. He has been drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot.

Now just yesterday we noticed a bald spot on his back. we took him to vet, he gave him some injection, an ointment to apply and medicine to give.

Now today this is the current form of that area, we fed him cat food and then gave him medicine, after sometime he vomited and all the food came out.

Now this is my first ever experience of a pet. I am definitely worried, my question is how much worried I should be. and what care should we be doing. The vet was not very descriptive so we are very confused.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not have any answers for you, but can you call the vet's office and ask what the diagnosis is? The vet techs in the office I go to are wonderful and they can usually read the vets chart and answer my questions. Do they think the illness and the skin lesion are related? What injection did they give him? Does that medication have an side affects, nausea or vomiting?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly, I have a bunch of questions too in order to be able to help you.

Just give them a call and ask what he was given, oral meds, injections, anything, and what his diagnosis is.

I don't think you will need to worry terribly otherwise he surely would have told you something was very wrong, however, vomiting is always concerning.

The pic shows alot of white area, what is that?

Also, not sure about what you are feeding, we might need to get in to the nutritional part of kitten soon, but after these issues are cleared.

Let us know so we can help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was not able to get in touch with the vet so dont know which injection was given.

These are the medications given by the vet.

We are feeding him this cat food and also boiled fish and boiled chicken.

and catwoman, that white area is his skin.

Though today in the morning he passed out stool and it was soft and a bit light colored. And he has eaten comparatively well today, and also has not vomitted today. even after taking the medication

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Keflex is a Penicillan based antibiotic. I looked up the other two and they look like they treat fungal infections. Does he have mouth sores or inflammation? I think they make the oral drops in mouth wash form for humans after oral surgery and we have given this to patients with oral thrush. Did they mention the skin lesion could be ringworm? I have never seen ringworm so I do not know what it looks like. That medication does say do not let the cat lick the area until completely absorbed in the skin.

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did search it on google and the skin issue is ringworm, I also showed it to a friend who has cats for a lot of years and she also said that its ringworm, and we apply the ointment when he is asleep so he does not end up licking it

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awe poor baby. Search Ringworm on the search here. I have seen a thread recently about ringworm ordeal. My best friends mom got a Himalayan kitten from a breeder because she was willing to treat the ringworm. We were young so pretty kitty was quarantined upstairs and we were not allowed to handle her. She perched on the open loft and watched us.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry but I beg to differ, this in no way resembles ringworm.

First of all the location of the sore, plus the skin exposed with no scaling or scabs at all, then the center where there is some type of a scab/wound has hair still growing there.

Ringworm eliminates the fur where it grows.

If the vet shaved him around the wounded spot, then I understand why his skin is exposed, however there is still fur in the wound so it's not possible for it to be ringworm.

PLUS he is 10 years old.

The biggest most classic sign of a ringworm spot is that it will always be bald, the fungus regardless of which strain dries the fur to almost a burned off point and it falls off, the way nature intended ringworm to survive, the spores attach to the fur, it falls out and spreads to other animals.

Keflex sounds reasonable to have been given, but the Nilstat is NOT meant for injecting.

Can I ask you this, is he neutered? Does he go outdoors at all?

It appears to me to be more of a bite wound that created it's own drainage hole as the abcesses do.

Last edited:

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well catwoman, if that is not a ringworm, that is great, and no the doctor did not shave him, his hair from that spot just went missing, and we are not injecting him nilstat, we are giving him from mouth, and he is not 10 years old, he is 10 weeks old, no he does not go out so no chance of getting in fight with another cat. We do take him out occasionally in the near by park. and even there there was no other animal, and no he is not neutered.

Apart from this skin issue, he seems normal otherwise, he is eating ok though mostly he is eating the cat food I shared about in the starting post, and he loves fish. He is though not fond of the chicken we give him.

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and also to add he is passing out stool once a day since yesterday, and he is playing normally as he used to

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 WEEKS?! Huge difference!! I'm actually very glad to hear that!

You can see my point though in my last post, that for a 10 year old cat (which your original post states) to have this on his body would lead to one cause basically.

Still though, even for a 10 week old kitten, this is an odd place for ringworm, not that they don't get it there, but it is in extreme cases where the ears/eyes/head/neck/paws have it first and it spreads to their body.

Also the actual scabby spot still has fur, correct?

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea catwoman, the spot has fur, i noticed today, he has lost a bit of his mustache hair too. is that a problem

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our vet told us that fish should be given in moderation (twice a week max.). I don't think Meow Mix is good food. Can you switch to grain free, low carb canned food? The vet recommends Fancy Feast Classic, Nature's Variety Instinct etc. 

By the way, is it him in your avatar? So cute. 

Last edited:

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes ankitty, he is so adorable and cute. He loves playing hide and seek and these days when my wife gives him medicine, he gets angry to her and gathers himself and sits like a ball, and thus gets so cute

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yea catwoman, the spot has fur, i noticed today, he has lost a bit of his mustache hair too. is that a problem
This is why I do not believe it is ringworm, in all my years of rescue work I have never once seen a ringworm spot that has fur like this.

How is the spot doing? Is it looking like it is healing?

Also, since you mentioned being a first time cat owner, I want to be sure you are aware of the virus dangers for him at this age, so be sure he gets his kitten vaccine series.

They begin around 8-9 weeks, then 3 weeks later another, then 3 weeks later another, so 3 are given in a row.

Then again at 1 year old. Then he will be protected from those awful, ugly viruses. The vaccine is an FVRCP.

He is SUPER cute!!

kashif27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is why I do not believe it is ringworm, in all my years of rescue work I have never once seen a ringworm spot that has fur like this.

How is the spot doing? Is it looking like it is healing?

Also, since you mentioned being a first time cat owner, I want to be sure you are aware of the virus dangers for him at this age, so be sure he gets his kitten vaccine series.

They begin around 8-9 weeks, then 3 weeks later another, then 3 weeks later another, so 3 are given in a row.

Then again at 1 year old. Then he will be protected from those awful, ugly viruses. The vaccine is an FVRCP.

He is SUPER cute!!
well he has gotten sick twice so the vet has said that we cant yet give him the vaccine as already due to the medicine he is in stress, tomorrow we are gonna take him to the vet again and he said that he would look if we can give him vaccine now,  he also said that as his mother is a house cat and properly vaccinated so we dont have to vaccinate him at early age.

Also the spot's white area seems to be reducing, as you said earlier that it looks like a wound so may be last time when my wife took him to the nearby park, he loves to get into bushes and branches, may be he got some injury there which was a minor one so we didnt notice it