Skin and bones very friendly and active ginger. Advice please🙏🏻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do as Kwik Kwik suggested. I would take him to my own Vet.. and then either keep him, myself, of take him to a rescue. I doubt very much that OC 'owner's daughter is a Vet".. Probably an excuse to have you leave and not bother them gain.

OR can you call a rescue, to trap him? Pretend you do not know who OC's "owner" is. It is a lie, but It is done for a good intention-- to save OC. This way, if OC owner wants him back, there is proof of him being abused.

He is such a sweetie, He deserves to live out the rest of his life with love, and in comfort.
I'd called our local Animal Protective League when I thought he was a stray. They scan for a chip and spay/neuter for a low fee if needed (& ear tip). Anything else (vet check) the cat must be surrendered to them. We all know how few elderly cats in shelters get adopted. They don't help catch but you can get a trap from them.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... I would just snatch him.. keep him inside. If Gypsy cannot tolerate an integration, then I would find someone who would take in a STRAY! Yes a STRAY... He is obviously being neglected. Sweet baby. You can tell how sweet he is.. and would easily take to any type of love. I doubt very much if he is chipped.

He reminds me so much of Artie. His sweetness seems to be that of Geoffrey.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks Tabby, I wasn't sure if the instructions needed to be changed since he is an adult. I've no idea what he weighs but I probably can set our scale out for him to sit on. I got him some ff senior wet, it's minced so easy to chew. Once a day right around dark is the only time he shows up. I've got some Gerber baby food. (It's water,chicken and cornstarch) I can use to mix it with.😽
It don't have to be exact. Just roughly gauge the weight. Giving him less is better than not giving and also less will be easier for his system just in case his system rejects it because of too much is given.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Gypsys dad would be fine with whatever I decide, he's a kitty lover. We're both concerned with the Legal aspect, worried how Gypsy would deal with another cat in the house, possible inside damage (since we rent) and the financial end.
View attachment 473293View attachment 473294View attachment 473295
Well from the legal aspect in most every State in the US cats( pets) are considered property so legally there's no " finders keepers" and you cannot claim ownership because a kitty is on your property,not even strays or ferals.....they must be surrendered to an animal shelter,humane society and there must be an attempt to find the owner - most States have leash laws ( applies to cats as well as dogs) except for States that allow free roaming ( eg:California)-so its considered theft...... I guess I'm a cat burglar,rofl

BUT if this lady is in violation of the law by allowing OC to roam then there's the case for : neglect/abuse" and OC can be taken from her- these are all the reasons I go about my business and do it my way - certainly I scan for an owner in case a lost cat( mishap) but with neglected animals " nope,haven't seen er" :dunno:

As far as Gypsy goes ,that can be worked out BUT for the financial responsibilities.... you already know all about it ,especially with an older cat which might needs special diet,meds etc.... tough decision

I was actually talked into taking Timmy on -I told the woman I simply cannot afford another cat,she promised to pay for all his needs (& has the money to do so,I know her 15yrs) Well,need I say how that went? 3mos in and that was it- lol Oh well,he's worth every sacrifice

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... I would just snatch him.. keep him inside. If Gypsy cannot tolerate an integration, then I would find someone who would take in a STRAY! Yes a STRAY... He is obviously being neglected. Sweet baby. You can tell how sweet he is.. and would easily take to any type of love. I doubt very much if he is chipped.

He reminds me so much of Artie. His sweetness seems to be that of Geoffrey.
You and me both and probably because of your Artie and my Cheech- that soft spot,right?

The hardest part is when they're in the window but in a couple of months he'd be unrecognizable and that lady wouldn't even know him....

Hard to see such a magnificent animal neglected and put outside like an inconvenient inanimate object

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
It don't have to be exact. Just roughly gauge the weight. Giving him less is better than not giving and also less will be easier for his system just in case his system rejects it because of too much is given.
Sat nite I put our scale out and got a 3 legged weight of 8.6 lbs so mixed a bit less than tbl spoon with baby food for him. Sunday was weird. During the covid cat food shortages and supply issues I accumulated quite a bit of food Gypsy wouldn't eat, I'd donated the dry to our local APL but started over the past yr and a half feeding a talkative Black Cat I could put the food dish right under his/her nose and a beautiful super-Scaredy Cat. Both had been TNR'd and had ear tipped and as picky as they were about food I knew they had other feeders, actually I met BC's person while passing out the orchids, he'd taken him to our local APL had him neutered and ear tipped 13yrs ago, fed, watered and supplied shelter but never let him or an orange & white he had also had taken to APL 10 yrs ago inside 😿. Doesn't take either for yearly vet visits. Occasionally I'd see a fluffy tailed gray & white around but always late & never got a good look, think it lives up the block. BC nose got out of joint when I started feeding OC. Didn't show up as often and when I'd put down ff for him he'd sniff & walk away. Well Sun nite around 5 ish I saw BC, took out wet & dry & stayed to keep him company while he ate almost all the Sheba. Was keeping an eye out for SC when there was Fluffy Tail sitting as proud as you please up up on the concrete platform next to the stairs like he/she owned the place! I grabbed a can of friskies and went outside FT had jumped down and was walking away, usually h/s won't get close but will leave the food I set out and head down the block then come back later to eat. I told him/her to get back here and eat, opened the can, dumped into the bowl, looked up and FT jumped up RIGHT next to me! Before h/s bent their head to eat they turned their head for a pet! Of course I started stroking, elevator butt went up but I got a soft deep growl when I started scratching above tail but all was well as I stroked their back. Cat is a huge floof ball with feet the size of what seemed to be Gypsy and OC feet put together! FT left, and OC showed up around the usual time of 7:30 had been there about 20 min when I looked up & saw SC who is very hard to see after dark. Put down h/h food and went in the house so they would come and eat since OC seemed to be done. (I stay out with him). Of course I didn't have my phone to get pictures! Mon nite was rainy and only saw OC, mixed the KMR with water and mixed with food. He wanted so badly to come in, was sitting on the door sill (only place to stay out of the rain on our front porch no eaves!!!) after I'd moved the umbrella I had held over him to eat after it started raining on us. G's dad came home and when I went to walk him to the house with the umbrella OC finally went home. So terribly heartbreaking.😞
20240402_000545.jpg
20240402_000611.jpg
Screenshot_20240402-000520_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240402-000206_Gallery.jpg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sat nite I put our scale out and got a 3 legged weight of 8.6 lbs so mixed a bit less than tbl spoon with baby food for him. Sunday was weird. During the covid cat food shortages and supply issues I accumulated quite a bit of food Gypsy wouldn't eat, I'd donated the dry to our local APL but started over the past yr and a half feeding a talkative Black Cat I could put the food dish right under his/her nose and a beautiful super-Scaredy Cat. Both had been TNR'd and had ear tipped and as picky as they were about food I knew they had other feeders, actually I met BC's person while passing out the orchids, he'd taken him to our local APL had him neutered and ear tipped 13yrs ago, fed, watered and supplied shelter but never let him or an orange & white he had also had taken to APL 10 yrs ago inside 😿. Doesn't take either for yearly vet visits. Occasionally I'd see a fluffy tailed gray & white around but always late & never got a good look, think it lives up the block. BC nose got out of joint when I started feeding OC. Didn't show up as often and when I'd put down ff for him he'd sniff & walk away. Well Sun nite around 5 ish I saw BC, took out wet & dry & stayed to keep him company while he ate almost all the Sheba. Was keeping an eye out for SC when there was Fluffy Tail sitting as proud as you please up up on the concrete platform next to the stairs like he/she owned the place! I grabbed a can of friskies and went outside FT had jumped down and was walking away, usually h/s won't get close but will leave the food I set out and head down the block then come back later to eat. I told him/her to get back here and eat, opened the can, dumped into the bowl, looked up and FT jumped up RIGHT next to me! Before h/s bent their head to eat they turned their head for a pet! Of course I started stroking, elevator butt went up but I got a soft deep growl when I started scratching above tail but all was well as I stroked their back. Cat is a huge floof ball with feet the size of what seemed to be Gypsy and OC feet put together! FT left, and OC showed up around the usual time of 7:30 had been there about 20 min when I looked up & saw SC who is very hard to see after dark. Put down h/h food and went in the house so they would come and eat since OC seemed to be done. (I stay out with him). Of course I didn't have my phone to get pictures! Mon nite was rainy and only saw OC, mixed the KMR with water and mixed with food. He wanted so badly to come in, was sitting on the door sill (only place to stay out of the rain on our front porch no eaves!!!) after I'd moved the umbrella I had held over him to eat after it started raining on us. G's dad came home and when I went to walk him to the house with the umbrella OC finally went home. So terribly heartbreaking.😞
Seems like you have a few visitors.

Is there a shelter for OC? Maybe he'll stay at the shelter if there's one for him?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 473565View attachment 473566View attachment 473567View attachment 473568
Reminds me of decades ago ,I was pretty young and a neighbor kept a gray tabby,a really big boy outside - he'd visit me all the time and I'd let him come inside until I'd go out- I used to beg that lady to keep him in but her furniture was more important to her-
His name was Tiger- Tiger got into many scraps with neighbors dogs over the years and I realized Tiger kept asking me for help- the last time he came over after his ear was almost torn off I never asked Tiger to leave from inside my house again- Tiger stayed with me the remainder of his life (& btw never scratched anything other than his scratch post)

The funny thing about this little story is the lady never once asked me" have you seen Tiger"...... imagine that?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhhhh.. Is there anyway, Gypsy would allow OC inside? Please. OC absolutely loves you and wants to live with you...
He is so precious. Just scoop him up... forget about the 'owner'....
Gypsy might but not knowing his health, shots, disease etc... I don't dare let him near her.😿

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy might but not knowing his health, shots, disease etc... I don't dare let him near her.😿
Straight to the Vet ,get the all clear and then bring him HOME..... if that's all that's holding you back.I know we talked about other reservations you have .....I'm just thinking of Tiger,I bet that woman wouldn't even look for sweet OC ....I imagine your heart aching,imagine his? I don't want you to feel worse about this poor boy but I think like artiemom artiemom ,I think he came to you asking to be his person.... why else would he come to you,he had no idea you'd feed him

Timmy followed me for a year at nights ,never fed him one morsel,he used to watch me sweep,throw out my garbage etc and then started coming out of the bushes when I walked with my cats and followed me- he chose me long before I accepted responsibility for him,he was fed on the opposite side of this property

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent suggestions, artiemom artiemom and Kwik Kwik , and ones I would absolutely follow!
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Do you have a room with a closable door that you can install OC in? or even the garage, with his basic needs, until he gets vetted? Then it would be advisable to keep him sequestered in there for up to 2 wks, with gradual through-a-crack-in-the-door sightings & sniffings, moving up to dining on either side, etc. as "CatDaddy" Jackson Galaxy recommends on YouTube & in his books & Animal Planet series. It's tried & true. I always use this method. It may take longer, or shorter, time, depending. It actually took about a year for angel Sammi to fix in with my then multi-cat family, and there were a couple of rolling-ball-of-fury fights involving him and angel Calo, who was Alpha Male at the time. But eventually, they figured it all out, and I have fond memories (and pix) of them in "The Boyz' Club" with angel Samuda, who never met a living being he didn't get along with.
IMG_1994.JPG

Beloved angels Calo, Sammi, & Samuda: Boyz Club :redheartpump::loveeyes:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all softies when it comes to any cat in need- certainly it's impossible to take them ALL in but we each do what we can within our means or capabilities- having each other here on TCS is such a Blessing as I'm sure every one of us has all felt very alone in this big world where so so many cats have been neglected,discarded,abused,ababandoned or out there alone and just trying to survive and no one will help us

If dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 cannot bring this boy in I'm wondering if we can't find someone who can,collectively I'll start,are you near South Florida-I can have his Veterinary needs taken care of and then put him up for adoption,I've got a favor card I can cash in,lol but I can't afford to transport him,those days of financial independence are long gone

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like you have a few visitors.

Is there a shelter for OC? Maybe he'll stay at the shelter if there's one for him?
I remembered that our local APL had been giving out cat shelters volunteers had made last fall and gave them a call just incase they still had one. Got their voice mail and left a message. Few hours later as I was watching a how to video trying to figure out how to attach styrofoam from too small cooler for the storage bin with missing hot glue gun when they called. They had a woman who had returned one she hadn't needed and I could come and pick up but they were closed for the day. When I told her I needed something quick since it was going to be rainy and cold she said she would leave it outside for me. I immediately put on my coat and went to get it. It seems to me the doorway is rather big and low, has like a cone leading inside. Heavy and well made. He came, he saw, he ate, he left. Straw on top between the styrofoam and tote lids.
20240403_111956.jpg
20240403_111929.jpg
20240403_104225.jpg
Screenshot_20240403-103505_Gallery.jpg
20240403_104728.jpg
20240403_104746.jpg
20240403_104444.jpg
20240403_104603.jpg
20240403_104814.jpg
20240403_104938.jpg
20240403_105011.jpg
20240403_105048.jpg
No attempt to come inside. I've been mixing a not quite full scoop of krf with warm water in a baby food jar, shake and divide into 2 cans of ff & one Sheba. He doesn't go for the Purina one hairball formula kibble much. Might be my imagination but I think his body looks fuller, maybe it's that his coat looks better?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are all softies when it comes to any cat in need- certainly it's impossible to take them ALL in but we each do what we can within our means or capabilities- having each other here on TCS is such a Blessing as I'm sure every one of us has all felt very alone in this big world where so so many cats have been neglected,discarded,abused,ababandoned or out there alone and just trying to survive and no one will help us

If dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 cannot bring this boy in I'm wondering if we can't find someone who can,collectively I'll start,are you near South Florida-I can have his Veterinary needs taken care of and then put him up for adoption,I've got a favor card I can cash in,lol but I can't afford to transport him,those days of financial independence are long gone
We're in Central Illinois
Straight to the Vet ,get the all clear and then bring him HOME..... if that's all that's holding you back.I know we talked about other reservations you have .....I'm just thinking of Tiger,I bet that woman wouldn't even look for sweet OC ....I imagine your heart aching,imagine his? I don't want you to feel worse about this poor boy but I think like artiemom artiemom ,I think he came to you asking to be his person.... why else would he come to you,he had no idea you'd feed him

Timmy followed me for a year at nights ,never fed him one morsel,he used to watch me sweep,throw out my garbage etc and then started coming out of the bushes when I walked with my cats and followed me- he chose me long before I accepted responsibility for him,he was fed on the opposite side of this property
I had been leaving kibble out daily when it was cold enough that there weren't any ants or flies and bring out wet when someone showed up.
If the woman happened to mention to the mailman who pets all the animals on his route he will tell her I had asked if he knew where OC lived, I had showed him a picture and he had directed me to her house.
Since he only shows up at twilight he would have to stay in the carrier overnite.
If we could afford to keep him I'd ask the woman to buy him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered that our local APL had been giving out cat shelters volunteers had made last fall and gave them a call just incase they still had one. Got their voice mail and left a message. Few hours later as I was watching a how to video trying to figure out how to attach styrofoam from too small cooler for the storage bin with missing hot glue gun when they called. They had a woman who had returned one she hadn't needed and I could come and pick up but they were closed for the day. When I told her I needed something quick since it was going to be rainy and cold she said she would leave it outside for me. I immediately put on my coat and went to get it. It seems to me the doorway is rather big and low, has like a cone leading inside. Heavy and well made. He came, he saw, he ate, he left. Straw on top between the styrofoam and tote lids.View attachment 473615View attachment 473616View attachment 473617View attachment 473618View attachment 473619View attachment 473620View attachment 473621View attachment 473622View attachment 473623View attachment 473624View attachment 473625View attachment 473626No attempt to come inside. I've been mixing a not quite full scoop of krf with warm water in a baby food jar, shake and divide into 2 cans of ff & one Sheba. He doesn't go for the Purina one hairball formula kibble much. Might be my imagination but I think his body looks fuller, maybe it's that his coat looks better?
He definitely looks more well nourished and yes, his coat looks very good in these pix. So wonderful that you were able to get and set up the shelter. He may use it if the weather is bad. Looks like he is really enjoying the food your are providing. Hoping it works out that you will somehow be able to adopt him. He looks like a sweet boy. :redheartpump: :loveeyes:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I remembered that our local APL had been giving out cat shelters volunteers had made last fall and gave them a call just incase they still had one. Got their voice mail and left a message. Few hours later as I was watching a how to video trying to figure out how to attach styrofoam from too small cooler for the storage bin with missing hot glue gun when they called. They had a woman who had returned one she hadn't needed and I could come and pick up but they were closed for the day. When I told her I needed something quick since it was going to be rainy and cold she said she would leave it outside for me. I immediately put on my coat and went to get it. It seems to me the doorway is rather big and low, has like a cone leading inside. Heavy and well made. He came, he saw, he ate, he left. Straw on top between the styrofoam and tote lids.No attempt to come inside. I've been mixing a not quite full scoop of krf with warm water in a baby food jar, shake and divide into 2 cans of ff & one Sheba. He doesn't go for the Purina one hairball formula kibble much. Might be my imagination but I think his body looks fuller, maybe it's that his coat looks better?
I see that he is sitting on a piece of towel when he's having a meal. I supposed hat the towel should have his scents. Can you don't wash that towel but hang it dry and once dried, place it inside the shelter. This way, his scent is in it and he won't be weary going in.

Yea, his fur looks much better and also he looks like he pout on a little weight. Thanks to you :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:

Last edited: