Situation Critical - Cats Due To Be Homeless In Indiana

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cold: I am trying to help a fellow TCSer who is 2000 miles away....she has lost her housing and will be forced out in a couple of days. She lives in Elwood IN and there are not many resources that I can find. She has cats and kittens in her care that she hates to just return to the streets. Anyone have any suggestions?? The local shelter is "no-kill with exceptions", but those exceptions are apparently broad. I know this is last minute but she took her case to court, representing herself, and lost and was given 7 days to get out. It looks like Indiana is not like California...anyway...HELP!:help::help::help::help::help::help::sniffle:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there no rescues or sanctuaries in the area? It seems as if there would be something. I'm driving but I'll do my best to look once I can get on my laptop.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also live a good ways away....I found a few rescues near that area. She should call them, and see if they could help her out. She should also thoroughly look at their websites and ask them questions.

Does she have any family members or friends with resources that may be able to help her out? So sorry to hear about her situation. I hope she is safe and has a place to live.

Here are some shelters I found:

1. Elwood Animal Shelter &gt Indiana No Kill Animal Shelters
"we are a no-kill shelter and will keep animals in our care until they find forever homes or are pulled by rescues. "

2. Surrendering Animals - Muncie ARF
"ARF will only euthanize the animal if it is absolutely necessary, such as the animal is extremely aggressive, or suffering from illness, injury, or is in pain and cannot be healed."

3. How to Surrender a Pet - The Humane Society for Hamilton County
"Although we never euthanize animals due to time or space – and we treat any manageable medical conditions – surrenders often result in a pet becoming more susceptible to illness and depression… and even losing the will to live."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions. The Elwood facility is no-kill so there is a long waiting list for owner surrenders. I asked her to call the dog rescues and she said that she will. She doesnt have much family support. If I dont hear that she has called, i may try calling myself. I heard back from one women's shelter and their waiting lists are long for women, too :(

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: Update: a woman took 2 of the adult cats and may come back for more. She told our TCS little sister that she has a farm. I hope and pray that this is legit and the kitties will be rehomed to a happy home where they can thrive. Prayers and vibes that this is a good thing for them :vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea...I am in California. The situation is most desparate for the cat with newborn kittens and the abandoned tinies that are recovering well on antibiotics. I wish that I could find a responsible person who could help her, someone who would volunteer to drive, etc. The adult cats will probably stay in their home area, so they can be rescued later. I completely understand her predicament. Lack of options is why I have 21 cats here at my mom's house plus another 7 cats at a 10 acre property that I am managing. Without homes that guarantee s/n, the problem just continues.
Is this woman able to spay and neuter the cats?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:frustrated: The lady with the farm did not return for any more cats. Caring K9 Rescue gave a list of cat rescues to call but they are all full :headshake:
Elwood AC charges $20 per cat to surrender them.....situation hopeless :cold: :cold::cold: