Sisters have started to fight

hantaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that are sisters and have had them since they were kittens. I've just had them spayed but one one cat that is usually shy, started to attack the more dominant cat as soon as they got back home. The more dominant cat is in shock and won't come out because everytime she does the shy one chases her and brutally attacs her.

What is the reason for this and how can I approach it?

At the monet the cats are separated in different rooms.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they both go in for spaying at the same time, or was it different days? Sometimes the 'vet smell' can throw cats off - they don't recognise their friend anymore because they no longer smell right.

You could try rubbing each of them down with a clean washcloth, then add a little vanilla extract to the cloths, switch them over (so each girl is now getting her sister's cloth) then rub them down again. This will make them smell the same, and should hopefully counteract the vet smell confusion.

You may also be dealing with some redirected aggression. I had a pair of brothers who used to get really mad at each other when they had to go to the vet together....almost like they were saying 'it's all YOUR fault :stomp: ' Fortunately, it didn't last long.

Keeping your two separate for now is a good move. You might find that you need to carry out reintroductions. It's just a case of watching and reading their body language and behaviour.

:cross: that things will be back to normal soon :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hantaah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they went together and were in the same carrier together also. As soon as I released them she was over friendly to us and the other cats which is not like her and aggressive to her sister.

Yes I will give that wiping a go. Thanks for the advise.