Single cat in 750Sq Feet?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second all the suggestions to use vertical space. Cats like that anyway. Older cat - yes. Shelter cat - yes!!!! Two, if they get along - yes. Or a one-cat-only cat who will be your best bud - yes. And as Mike Blanche said, better than a teensy cage, trust me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevekukla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

Thanks for all the feedback! Most responses were positive to the idea, so I think I'm going to roll with it and take the next step. Taking advantage of the vertical space was also a great suggestion from a number of people, and in my case that is particularly easy (16 foot high ceilings, loft).

Now I have to decide on the breed, whether to get an adult or a kitten, whether to get one or two... decisions decisions =\\

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I'd get a friendly cat who doesn't like other cats from a shelter or local rescue. Petfinder is particularly useful. You can read about cats individual personalities, and you can then call the local shelters and rescues and talk to them directly about whether they have a cat that will work well as an only cat in an apartment with a human who goes to work.

If I were you, I would not worry about breed: bred cats cost more money, and, unless there is something about a particular breed that you are looking for, a plain 'old domestic cat is just as likely to make you happy. Rescuing an adult from a shelter is doing a good thing for the cat and for you.

With adult cats, you can know much more about the cat's eventual personality, and you don't have to live through kitten crazies. My first cat was an adult from a shelter, and it is a remarkably easy way to enter the world of owning cats.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Steve, I'll just echo what everyone else is saying - it's plenty of space! The husband and I have a 700 sq ft apartment, and we don't let the cat in the bedroom (allergies/asthma issues). So she probably has 500 sq feet and is happy as a clam. I had considered getting 2 cats and was worried about space, so I asked one of the volunteers at the humane society. She pointed to the small cages the kitties were in and said, is it bigger then that? Then they'll be ok.

As for what kind, etc etc etc, if you're not dead set on getting a pure bred, might I humbly suggest visiting your local animal shelter/humane society? Spend time with a variety of kitties, and eventually one will adopt you.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd have to agree with some of the other posters... I think you may want to limit yourself to an adult cat (or 2). Kittens can be extreme...in every way. I raised a couple of kittens two summers ago and it took constant supervision and was very taxing (in terms of energy and finances). In addition to the work in training and vet bills, kittens are very hyper IME, so if you're out all day then come home, he/she will want to go crazy and play for hours (possibly keeping you awake). Also, they get into a ton of stuff...it's basically like babyproofing your house..but for a baby that can climb! In addition to that, it is somewhat hard to tell a kitten's final personality (how social, outgoing, or affectionate and/or how active). I had to confine my kittens to a single bedroom until they were about 12 weeks old, then they had the whole house.

There are many adult cats in shelters to choose from and, if you do decided that you are interested in a particular breed, many breeders adopt out / retire their breeding cats at about 2-3 years old... So you get an adult (with a known personality) that is purebred and for about a 1/3 - 1/4 the cost of a kitten. Although I have not owned a purebred yet, I plan to go the adopted retired breeder route when it's time to add another cat to my family. If you are considering a specific breed, be sure to check out their personality and energy level as each breed can vary quite a bit.

In addition to shelters and breeders, also check out independent small rescue groups. Many of these "foster" their cats in private homes, so they can tell you much more about the cats personality, habits, etc. than a cat that is in the shelter.

In addition to the above, acquiring a healthy cat is one of the best steps you can take to make your first cat owning experience a good one... Check for signs of illness like runny eyes, nose, etc. squinty eyes, signs of an unclean rearend or ungroomed fur, etc. Also wheezing. Ask what veterinary care the cat has recieved and make sure you take it to a vet very soon after purchase / adoption. It might be overkill, but I'd say that if you go to a shelter, breeder, or rescue and there is more than one sick cat there (particularly with eye issues or coughing) don't adopt from them... Upper respiratory illnesses can be very contagious in cats and you don't want to adopt a seemingly healthy kitten or cat just to have it come down with something days after you get it.

Good luck!
Art

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All kinds of good advice here, Steve, from cat owners and people who do rescue work. Try not to fall for a "pretty face" ie markings. I tell prospective adopters that all the time. Personality trumps markings, breed, etc. And taking an adult cat from a rescue or a shelter is really a blessing. You would be doing such a good deed.

Cats can live 15-20 years so a 1 or two year old cat is not old at all. To me, even a five year old cat is not old. But then I have a soft spot for the abandonned and/or surrended adults who have lost homes through no fault of their own. And it is very likely that if you go this route, the cat will pick YOU!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Steve,

You sound like you'll be a wonderful pet owner, and this is the place to come for pet advice.

My advice to you is similar to everyone else. If you are living alone and have a job a kitten will be much more difficult and get into a lot more trouble then an older cat (however if you are hell bent on getting that 'little bundle of joy' it is managable)

My own experience has always been with adopting older cats (6+) and it has been INCREDIBLY rewarding.

My cats still play, are amazingly friendly, my siamese I adopted at 7 years old and I have bonded with him more then I've bonded with any other pet I've ever had, even ones I've had from baby stages. However.... when I go out during the day, or need to go away on buisness for a day or two.... they sleep on the couch and I am convinced don't move a muscle! never get into any trouble and never demand attention when I get home! It's really the perfect scenario for a lot of people....

Keep us posted and goodluck on your search for a feline companion!