Single cat - 5 months old - need play ideas

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - 

I have posted a bit here with I first brought Pixel home... and he's doing great - even with his heart condition...but he is a "solo" cat... I work from home, so I am home most of the time... my question/plea for ideas is about play.

I know he's a kitten and needs to play - but he has a TON (literally - my house looks like a toddler lives here) of toys - some interactive, some just balls, some in every room.... And I do play with him at least 2-3 good sessions per day - like getting on the floor with him and batting his toys around with him etc.  Lately he wants to stalk me - he never truly "attacks" me, but when I try to work or do something else and he's frisky - he will NOT shut UP until I play with him..... and if I ignore him (read on another post that would teach him that he can't meow me into submission) he will purposely run around and try to do things that he KNOWS he isn't supposed to -and I know he knows because he will look right at me before he goes for the blinds or tries to get into something I told him not to....and see if I will come stop him - which means we're playing....

And lately with his toys (feather rod, mouse rod etc) he isn't that interested when I try to play these games with him - he wants ME to wrestle him or chase him.  I am not that old but lordy I can't chase a cat!  Sheesh....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Da Bird?  That's a great rod toy, and more interesting than most because it also makes a noise like a flying bird as well as looking like one when the feathers spin.

you can order them from a lot of places, this is the direct company ...

www.go-cat.com

Also, although a bit expensive, what about a remote control mouse?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I am surprised he doesn't really like the wand toys. Those are usually great for stalking and pouncing. It really sounds like he wants a playmate, and you're it. I haven't read your other threads, but is another kitten his age an option for you? That's probably the best solution. He will grow out of some of this kitten like behavior, but it will be a while. :)

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol!!  He's a kitten!  You're his only playmate...we've experienced that over here too.

I know the feeling of not being able to chase a cat - its a favourite game over here too - but if you modify it a bit, so it is hide and seek chasey, then you actually aren't racing the cat.Get into the game when he invites you to play chasey - then shuffle/stomp/run off loudly to a hiding place (around the corner, behind a door in another room, behind some furniture, under a blanket etc.. ).  To help him get it, call him, or make some sort of sound (I whistle), or PEEK at him until he gets that he should come after you.  When he 'finds' you, jump out to surprise him with a big 'HELLO" and shuffle/stomp/run off to another hiding spot.  After a while, he may even start to hide himself - and call you to find him.

As to other toys, sounds like he needs lots of variety (smart cat?).  I have a tonne of ideas on my blog, as we are well schooled over here by two very active, smart cats.  We even had 2.5 years with only one - so we HAD to find ways to play him into the ground, and frequently, or just as you have found, he found his own annoying mischief! http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I am surprised he doesn't really like the wand toys. Those are usually great for stalking and pouncing. It really sounds like he wants a playmate, and you're it. I haven't read your other threads, but is another kitten his age an option for you? That's probably the best solution. He will grow out of some of this kitten like behavior, but it will be a while.
I am thinking of a second one for him but only after he gets fixed next month.  We (the Vet) put off neutering him because of his heart - we were hoping the Grade 4 murmur would calm down.  It hasn't really but we are going to need to fix him at 6 months (next month) per the animal control contract and so he doesn't get the testosterone kick.... 

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks - today he was willing to play with the wand toys a while....but he still wants Me to attack him and I don't want him thinking it's ok to bite or scratch me so I grab something to give him quickly....  - he's a lunatic - he arches his back and comes at me- which makes me laugh but it's how he gets me to play .... And lately he's become fascinated with the kitchen sink... he can now get to the counters....which I try to keep him off of, but that seems like a losing battle.

He does play at night because his toys are all over when I get up.  He has more toys than a toddler.... I wish he would play with the cat tree more...he tore the two mice off of it immediately after it was assembled but I replaced those with two toys I tied on...they are still there and he plays with them some, but not a lot.

I suppose I will have to wait until his surgery and make sure he comes through that ok then get him a playmate :)

catlover1991

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat actually reacts better to just a string than a wand toy. My husband and I have baught wand toys before and he does play with them but he loves the string from a pair of my husbands old pajama pants the best!

baconman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can try the cats meow toy. its battery powered and keeps my cats busy for a good amount of time. Gives me a chance to fold clothes and what not. I cant begin to tell you how long it used to take me to fold clothes while getting tag teamed by my cats. Clothes were unfoldable lol Plus its pretty easy to attach a toy mouse or feather or almost anything to the end of it. You said yours likes to stalk. My cats will attack it directly and stalk it for good periods of time. Then again besides this toy my cats prefer anything that is not a cat toy. Before this any cat toy I bought them they were uninterested it, but take out a pen and run it a long the ground and they go nuts.

Last edited:

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

you can try the cats meow toy. its battery powered and keeps my cats busy for a good amount of time. Gives me a chance to fold clothes and what not. I cant begin to tell you how long it used to take me to fold clothes while getting tag teamed by my cats. Clothes were unfoldable lol Plus its pretty easy to attach a toy mouse or feather or almost anything to the end of it. You said yours likes to stalk. My cats will attack it directly and stalk it for good periods of time. Then again besides this toy my cats prefer anything that is not a cat toy. Before this any cat toy I bought them they were uninterested it, but take out a pen and run it a long the ground and they go nuts.
My parents bought me this for him and it has already broken.  He liked it but he would grab the "stick" and hold it in place... the on/off quit working and I couldn't seem to repair it.  I thought about getting him another one but that might get pricey if he keeps breaking them.  Thanks!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Lol!!  He's a kitten!  You're his only playmate...we've experienced that over here too.

I know the feeling of not being able to chase a cat - its a favourite game over here too - but if you modify it a bit, so it is hide and seek chasey, then you actually aren't racing the cat.Get into the game when he invites you to play chasey - then shuffle/stomp/run off loudly to a hiding place (around the corner, behind a door in another room, behind some furniture, under a blanket etc.. ).  To help him get it, call him, or make some sort of sound (I whistle), or PEEK at him until he gets that he should come after you.  When he 'finds' you, jump out to surprise him with a big 'HELLO" and shuffle/stomp/run off to another hiding spot.  After a while, he may even start to hide himself - and call you to find him.

As to other toys, sounds like he needs lots of variety (smart cat?).  I have a tonne of ideas on my blog, as we are well schooled over here by two very active, smart cats.  We even had 2.5 years with only one - so we HAD to find ways to play him into the ground, and frequently, or just as you have found, he found his own annoying mischief! http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/
Given Pixel's love of paws-on wrestling it probably isn't such a good idea to give in to the physical on the floor wrestling that he wants - Mouse is quite similar in that way and youj do not want to head down the biting route which is hard to avoid once they get in to the physical play over excitement and you are that close.  Hide and seek like tamyp describes is a big favourite in this home. Mouse instigated it actually and I cottoned on.  One or other of us can start it now, with a go out of the room then stick your head round the door and when the other one notices you run off and hide behind something else and hear the little paws thundering after you.  Then when they get to you they get all excited and run off so you chase them and see where they've hidden.  And so it goes on.  It can really tire them out, and the nice thing is it isn't the really frantic running round in tight circles that you get with some of the wand toys and DaBird that could be a bit much for Pixel.  You can pace it quite well, and sometimes take a short break before heading off to hunt and find which gives a chance for calming the heart beat before getting all bouncy again.  It's a good game if you want a longer bit of space to get something done as it seems to satisfy the physical energy and hunting instrincts plus their desire for your attention.

Boxes and paper bags are always good too, and if you have them placed next to your feat where you're trying to work you can dangle toys and move toy mice about to interact with minimal effort. The same goes for having some reasonably large sized kibble cat food and throwing it for Pixel to chase after, catch and eat.  He can play with it as much as he wants before he eats it, and you can throw it without taking a break from what you're doing: I am quite regularly doing this when on TCS.  Use dry food though, not 'treats'.  It's also good fun if you aim your throws to land in their box or bag so they have to jump in to get it.

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - great ideas!  

I think I will do the food thing since he has been a bit ravenous lately with his growth spurt.  He does go to the places I normally leave him treats (when I leave for some reason I figure it gives him something to "find" while I am gone)...but using it near the desk like that might be a good idea too.

I tried the hide and seek a little last night and today - I think I scared him good tonight - I hope it doesn't freak his heart out!  But that seems to be a good game...and since he follows me from room to room most of the time anyhow - sometimes with just a short delay - I can count on him finding me quickly LOL.

Trust me - we have boxes and bags and my house looks like a toddler lives here... cat tree - pop up cubes and tunnels LOL not to mention the balls and toys!  

He is scheduled to be neutered in a few weeks - I am thinking that might (maybe) slow him down some...

Thanks again.

(sorry for any typos - someone was on the keyboard)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Aaw, good luck with the games and tiring him out a little so you can get a few things done when you're at home. He sounds like Mouse, he was a never ending play machine until he was about 2.  He did decide to sleep a bit more after that thankfully - though now I miss the constant games and attention!  Pixel sounds so cute and funny, he must capture everyone's heart the minute they meet him and witness his attention seeking antics  :-D   I hope all goes smoothly next month too.  Will be thinking of you.

jentheartist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Aaw, good luck with the games and tiring him out a little so you can get a few things done when you're at home. He sounds like Mouse, he was a never ending play machine until he was about 2.  He did decide to sleep a bit more after that thankfully - though now I miss the constant games and attention!  Pixel sounds so cute and funny, he must capture everyone's heart the minute they meet him and witness his attention seeking antics  :-D   I hope all goes smoothly next month too.  Will be thinking of you.
He sure does!  The vet's office love him - said he is a natural social cat...he's a hoot!  

Thanks - 

barbgee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are so funny that way... Mine likes the wand better than the dangling toy! Of the wand toys I have, she likes a blue furry mouse on a fishing pole the best.  Then there is a fish on a string on a wand, but she's not so fond of a cluster of feathers attached to the end of a wand.  So, unfortunately, you have to keep experimenting.  Also, don't give up on toys.  I've found when I thought Kitty wasn't interested in a wand toy, I was not giving her enough time to react to it.  She likes to wait up to 10 seconds before pouncing on a non-moving toy...  She likes foam balls a lot, and I now have a noise making "cricket" toy that she at first ignored, but now really enjoys.  Catnip mice are always a hit, although you may have to try different shapes, sizes, and materials.  Finally, it took a long time and a lot of demonstration, but Kitty finally now enjoys a food puzzle ball, that she can  bat around to get kibble or treats out of. 

I often put a few treats in the middle of an empty toilet paper roll,or treats under milk caps, and put little treats hidden around a few rooms.  That seems to keep her somewhat busy, as well.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, they are so funny that way... Mine likes the wand better than the dangling toy! Of the wand toys I have, she likes a blue furry mouse on a fishing pole the best.  Then there is a fish on a string on a wand, but she's not so fond of a cluster of feathers attached to the end of a wand.  So, unfortunately, you have to keep experimenting.  Also, don't give up on toys.  I've found when I thought Kitty wasn't interested in a wand toy, I was not giving her enough time to react to it.  She likes to wait up to 10 seconds before pouncing on a non-moving toy...  She likes foam balls a lot, and I now have a noise making "cricket" toy that she at first ignored, but now really enjoys.  Catnip mice are always a hit, although you may have to try different shapes, sizes, and materials.  Finally, it took a long time and a lot of demonstration, but Kitty finally now enjoys a food puzzle ball, that she can  bat around to get kibble or treats out of. 

I often put a few treats in the middle of an empty toilet paper roll,or treats under milk caps, and put little treats hidden around a few rooms.  That seems to keep her somewhat busy, as well.
The feigning no interest thing - the older they get the longer they make you look like an idiot and sit there watching from afar.  Apparently they are hunting:  The more experienced they are the more they like to watch to see when the best time to attack is.  

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a really cool little kitten, but I know what a handful he could be.  Try collecting his toys and only giving him a few types at one time.  Then alternate these with others.  Many cats get bored with the same toys.  A buddy is a terrific idea.  I can't tell you how many adopters were much happier with a second cat (especially for a kitten).  One recent adopter was suffering from moderate depression, but adopted two kittens and is feeling much better now.  And the benefits for the second cat are obvious. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@DrBobCat makes a great point there about putting a few toys out at a time and hiding the others so you can rotate them.  Cats can get bored of stuff really quickly but if you rotate it saves buying new stuff.

Buddies are great as long as you can afford the double food and vet care plus extra litter.  It is certainly a good way of entertaining your cat as long as they get along well.... and you get a tonne of laughs watching them play.