Singing to your cat

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some bizzare reason I sing old show tunes to my cats. I have no idea why. I am not that old for these songs to be what comes to my mind but they do.

I got a new cat , Rosie just over 7 weeks ago. She had ringworm so has spent the last 7 weeks in isolation ( now ending) during all the dips etc. for some reason I began to sing 'Daisy" to her substituting the name Rosie

.... ....I'm half crazy, all for the love of you. I can't afford a marriage, or even a horse drawn carriage but, you''ll look sweet upon the seat, of a bicycle built for two' why do I sing that.

To Milo I sing a verse from a song I don't even know they name of , let alone the entire song " Milo, you with the stars in your eyes"

For Desmond I change around a song from the music man and sing " Oh we got trouble, right here in river city. With a capital 'D" and that rhymes with me , and that stands for you"

Now, you all know I am nuts and the younger among you probably do not know those songs.They are before my time too. Mom loved the old musicals, that is probably where I picked up these tunes.My husband laughs at me.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

For some bizzare reason I sing old show tunes to my cats. I have no idea why. I am not that old for these songs to be what comes to my mind but they do.

I got a new cat , Rosie just over 7 weeks ago. She had ringworm so has spent the last 7 weeks in isolation ( now ending) during all the dips etc. for some reason I began to sing 'Daisy" to her substituting the name Rosie

.... ....I'm half crazy, all for the love of you. I can't afford a marriage, or even a horse drawn carriage but, you''ll look sweet upon the seat, of a bicycle built for two' why do I sing that.

To Milo I sing a verse from a song I don't even know they name of , let alone the entire song " Milo, you with the stars in your eyes"

For Desmond I change around a song from the music man and sing " Oh we got trouble, right here in river city. With a capital 'D" and that rhymes with me , and that stands for you"

Now, you all know I am nuts and the younger among you probably do not know those songs.They are before my time too. Mom loved the old musicals, that is probably where I picked up these tunes.My husband laughs at me.
I sing to my animals all the time. Don't worry, my parents sing the old songs too. I actually know some of those songs. 
They're oldies but goodies, and the animals like any singing.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey! I'm not the only  one who has a different song for each cat! Hooray! 

punkysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You folks have made my day! I love this thread and thank you all for the chuckles. I have made up songs for every cat I've ever owned and love to watch them wag their tails when I sing their song.  Punky seems to recognize his song  because he wags his tail. Hmmm....or does he wag when I stop singing? 

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just compose on the fly, can't say I could sign really, but I tend to annoy they with my horrible singing voice, I'm not sure if they are frozen in terror or just for amusement value, but they seem to be frozen and paying close attention when I do that.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sing to Angel ALL the time. I'm sure he'd roll his eyes many times, if he could!  ....."Here she goes singing again."  

I change lyrics to songs & make up silly songs for him. 

I'll change lyrics to songs like, Al Green's I'm so in love with you"  "I'm so in love with you, your my booga boo......"  & many more! ha ha!

A few years back I actually made up a song & just started singing, making it up as I went along. It turned out pretty good for such an unplanned thing, I sang it over & over to remember it. Now it's his song I sing to him.

It goes like this,

"You're my little punk'n pie,

your the apple of my eye,

your so sweet & cuddly too,

that's why your'or my boo boo,

Boo boo kitty, 

momma loves you,

cause you're my little Angel,

and you looove meee tooo!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow...I've been wracking my brains for the last week trying to remember the lyrics to that song!  Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kitten has a thing for Billy Idol.

She loves when I sing this to her

Over in Killarney,
Many years ago,
Me mither sang a song to me
In tones so sweet and low.
Just a simple little ditty,
In her good ould Irish way,
And I'd give the world if she could sing
That song to me this day.
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Hush, now don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
That's an Irish lullaby.
Oft, in dreams I wander
To that cot again,
I feel her arms a huggin' me
As when she held me then.
And I hear her voice a humin'
To me as in days or yore,
When she used to rock me fast asleep
Outside the cabin door.
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Hush, now don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
That's an Irish lullaby.

BabyMook would simply be a drum solo of Wipeout.  Which is exactly what it sounds like in our kitchen every night around 2 AM.

Rats...this is the song I meant.  I forgot to hit the quotes!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As for what I sing to Hekitty, well, Hush Little Kittycat is high on her list.  She smurgles to that one, thankfully without the drooling.  It's one of the few times that her skittish temperament totally goes away and she just melts into my arm (the crook of the right elbow is the choice smurgle spot.  Thank goodness I'm left-handed!).  And we always talk about how the mockingbird ought to be eaten, cause he hops around with his tail feathers stuck in the air, the cheeky little brat.  But sometimes, when she's in the mood, we do:

In the cool of the evening

When everything is getting kinda pretty

I want to sit back and

Have a little snuggle with my kitty

First you let out a squall

And run under the chair

Then when I give up,

You're right there!

Love is kinda crazy with

a spooky little cat like you!

There are, of course, more verses.  And any number more songs, but those are the favorite, melt-the-kitteh ones, hands down.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
@Nebula   The movie Matilda is on ABC Family at 7 AM where I am.  I am recording it and I will try and spot "Little Bitty Pretty One."    Thanks!

Last edited: