Simone and her furless spot on her neck

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View media item 188861
Simone, who recently turned 6, has had this spot on her neck that is completely free of fur. I don't notice it most of the time but it becomes more visible when she is curled up to sleep. I had wondered if it was an injection site alopecia (baldness). When she was a kitten, there was a patch of fur that just came off there and the fur never grew back. It's completely flat but you can see the little hair follicles that never grow hair. It's a small oval shape on her neck just above her right shoulder blade.  The vet she goes to didn't know what it was.

I know that her first set of shots left her alarmingly groggy for 3 or 4 days. And as a kitten, there were boosters to give. So she got Benadryl from the vet before the next shots which seemed to help. In WA once a kitten is fully squared up on the baby shots, rabies is once every 3 years and distemper is supposed to be every year. These cats are indoors only and so I don't get them the feline leukemia shots. 

Simone is a cantankerous cat and it is virtually impossible to get her into a pet taxi. She's fearless, mean and has ninja like skills with her claws. The cat is a super sweet heart when it's meal time though.  Once I had her at the vet and could see and hear her getting really angry. The vet was being soft and soothing and I kept saying "just give her the shots please."

View media item 188860
The vet: "well I don't want her to associate coming here with a scary experience."

Me: "she's kind of mean and she's clearly getting angry. In a minute, a shot will not be an option."

Then Simone starts crawling up my shoulder, and the vet gives her a shot and Simone bites my pinkie finger with gusto. Man that hurt. So....taking her to the vet is not ever on my top list.

Last edited:

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you recently used any topical flea/tick treatment on her? I have a couple cats who develope a scaly spot if I use biospot (although advantage doesn't cause the same reaction).

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has Simone's diet or environment changed? Is she scratching or is another cat grooming her excessively? I recommended taking her to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's had this bald spot since before she was a year old. She's 6. I've asked the vet before and she said "I have no idea what caused that."

It doesn't get any larger but never grows hair. I wondered if others had seen something similar.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

My guess would be allergies. She may also be suffering from persistent upper respiratory infections. Also, if ringworm isn’t treated, it can last for a very long time. Mange can also cause this. The only time I’ve seen this before was in a cat’s friend that had severe allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No upper respiratory issues and otherwise really healthy. only reaction was to the series of shots when she was a young kitten. Good coat, good teeth, active no skin issues except for that bald spot. AGAIN she's had this one spot since kittenhood. I actually wondered if it was an injection site thing but I've not been able to determine that.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I’m glad that your cat is healthy, otherwise. A reaction to a vaccine does indicate underlying allergies. The bald spot might be from the injection site reaction. I recommend having a thyroid panel done to rule out thyroid problems. I’ve never heard of an injection causing a long-term bald spot, though.