Simba Yim = Complete mutt or mixed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to, but we never took ones when first born and the ones when she was "pointed" are not very good. She's black & white now. but she was born blue tabby and white, then changed to blue point with tabby body, then to seal point with tabby body and at 3 months old all the kittens were black & white! Every kitten was the same in the litter - and all ended up as black & whites!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

She's right - I work with genetics too (study). You don't put a white parent with a tabby and get a tabby & white. All white is dominate over all colors.

The cat probably has a classic tabby (with or w/o white) parent and the other can be the same or another tabby (with or w/o white) or a bicolor (black & white).

One parent has to have color and white and the other can be solid or color & white and one or both have to have tabby markings.
Oh! That makes so much sense now! So my Elsa is a black cat. I was figuring her (accidental) kittens would be probably black or tortie, since I didn't know the father. But there was one black, one torbie, three brown tabbys, and 3 WHITE kittens. I was so shocked about the white kittens. Now I'm positive there were 2 dads.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possible of 2-3 dads - one red tabby, one white and maybe a brown tabby. Brown tabbies are genetically a "black" cat. If mom was a black, the torbie had to have a red dad to get the two colors and its possible the same red tabby dad produced a brown tabby too (since mom would have given the black color and dad the tabby gene. Othrwise, getting 3 brown tabbies tells me there was also a brown tabby dad for them. The all white kitten was from a different father.

To complicate things that "white" father is also carrying color and/or tabby too - you just cannot see it.

This is why its cool in purebreds to have a pedigree with all the colors so you can see what the background colors are and how they relate/produce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are so many things for me to learn!

I never considered that multiple fathers could affect litters but it makes sense if multiple eggs are being fertilized.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With purebred controlled breeding (one male) you can easily predict the colors. With mixes you never know as you don't know the background and what colors they are carrying.

Friend of mine that has Cornish Rex once had a chocolate kitten born. Looking at the pedigree you would say "well that's impossible" - in fact CFA did not want to accept this in the litter.

The breeder had to go back 8 generations to find out that both sides had one chocolate color Rex (and then sent in the proof). Once a recessive gene is in the lines, its there forever!

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful that there were records that she could go through and prove them wrong. :p

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

That's wonderful that there were records that she could go through and prove them wrong. :p
That's the point of pedigrees, a traceable line.

We also have DNA now to test for colours carried which makes things easier.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup! I've read about the extensive DNA tasting that people can do nowadays as a insurance in case any records were lost or falsified (in regards to horses, but still applicable.)