Simba Yim = Complete mutt or mixed?

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Simba Yim is almost completely symmetrical down to his tail! Little tufts of black on his ears. Has the same circular blob on both sides and a bunch of stripes everywhere. Four white points on his feet, although the left hind leg has the longest "sock."

Could he be a mix of a European Shorthair?

Age: 18 months old. (So I don't expect that he will grow anymore)
Weighs: 8 lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Brown classic tabby & white domestic, very cute
Thanks! Someone else guessed a Mackerel Tabby?

(But I suppose that is referring to the coat not necessarily the breed.)

Ah hah! So maybe that's where he got those white feet and belly.

Either way, complete mutt or mysterious mix breed... he's still the same lovely cat to me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breed - domestic shorthair
Color/Pattern - Brown Classic Tabby & White

Mackerel tabbies have vertical stripes on the sides. Classics have the swirled/bullseye markings on the side (like your cat has).

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Color/Pattern - Brown Classic Tabby & White

Mackerel tabbies have vertical stripes on the sides. Classics have the swirled/bullseye markings on the side (like your cat has).
http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm

Brown Classic does look very similar! He has the white "eye liner" too like other Tabbies!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful! His stomach coloring reminds me of my
Lynxx

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he is so cute!!!!
And he knows it! LOL

I'm curious, I never can tell if a tabby is "brown" or "gray" (silver?) How can you tell?

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

He's beautiful! His stomach coloring reminds me of my
Lynxx
Thank you very much! (You know it's the highest compliment when it reminds someone of their own beloved pet.)

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh, he is so cute!!!!
And he knows it! LOL

I'm curious, I never can tell if a tabby is "brown" or "gray" (silver?) How can you tell?
Thanks!

Hmm check out this page http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/tabby/tabbies.htm

Silver

Brown

I thought Simba was originally "silver" as well but looking at this page with the comparisons side by side made me realize he's "brown."

He has more yellow hairs running with the black, while the silver tabbies have much more white.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

Thanks! Someone else guessed a Mackerel Tabby?

(But I suppose that is referring to the coat not necessarily the breed.)
Sorry, I should have written my reply as GoldenKitty did. I was talking about the coat pattern, Mackeral is incorrect.

Colour/Pattern - Brown Classic Tabby & White

Tabby, be it classic, mackeral, spotted or ticked is not a breed but refers to the coat pattern.

Silvers have white roots

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sorry, I should have written my reply as GoldenKitty did. I was talking about the coat pattern, Mackeral is incorrect.

Colour/Pattern - Brown Classic Tabby & White

Tabby, be it classic, mackeral, spotted or ticked is not a breed but refers to the coat pattern.

Silvers have white roots
Thanks for taking the time to correct yourself! It takes a lot of character.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is a "mutt" or in other words does not look to be a mix of any breed, just a regular cat. This is called a domestic shorthair (or if they have long fur, a domestic longhair.)

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Your kitty is a "mutt" or in other words does not look to be a mix of any breed, just a regular cat. This is called a domestic shorthair (or if they have long fur, a domestic longhair.)
Yeah, I think we decided he's a DSH with a white parent somewhere and a brown classic tabby somewhere!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

Yeah, I think we decided he's a DSH with a white parent somewhere and a brown classic tabby somewhere!
Not quite that simple.

Classic tabby pattern is recessive, so long as both parents carry the gene classics can be produced.
White spotting gene produced the white areas on your kitty, one parent could have been a bi-colour.

My breed Ocicats only come in 6 colours (12 including those colours on silver), so I'm sure someone else could explain more about your kitty if you were interested.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not quite that simple.

Classic tabby pattern is recessive, so long as both parents carry the gene classics can be produced.
White spotting gene produced the white areas on your kitty, one parent could have been a bi-colour.
She's right - I work with genetics too (study). You don't put a white parent with a tabby and get a tabby & white. All white is dominate over all colors.

The cat probably has a classic tabby (with or w/o white) parent and the other can be the same or another tabby (with or w/o white) or a bicolor (black & white).

One parent has to have color and white and the other can be solid or color & white and one or both have to have tabby markings.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

She's right - I work with genetics too (study). You don't put a white parent with a tabby and get a tabby & white. All white is dominate over all colors.

The cat probably has a classic tabby (with or w/o white) parent and the other can be the same or another tabby (with or w/o white) or a bicolor (black & white).

One parent has to have color and white and the other can be solid or color & white and one or both have to have tabby markings.
Hahahaha! Thanks for the clarification.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gentics can do weird things...I have a cat that went thru 4 color changes from the time she was born and no one can really explain how or why (and I have 2 very good genetic friends and they can't figure it out)!

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He has markings almost identical to my Rex...only Rex doesn't have the socks. He is just a short-haired classic brown tabby.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

He has markings almost identical to my Rex...only Rex doesn't have the socks. He is just a short-haired classic brown tabby.
Your Rex looks lovely!

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Gentics can do weird things...I have a cat that went thru 4 color changes from the time she was born and no one can really explain how or why (and I have 2 very good genetic friends and they can't figure it out)!
That's so interesting! I would love to see photos of your cat's metamorphoses if you have them!