Silly question about carpet and cats

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My biggest problem with cats and carpet isn't scratching but vomit. Dyes in foods and medicines are hard to get out of a light colored carpet. We just extended the hardwood so all of the downstairs is now hardwood. It is so much easier to clean now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Pets & vomit just seem to go together.
I don't ever want to go back to carpets. We've got an area one (over parquet) in the living room, but that's it apart from some small throw ones under our desk chairs. Cleaning is a lot easier, and my allergies have been so much better since we got rid of the carpeting (which we had to rip out completely after having a very ill dog vomit and bleed on it).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another vote here for laminate! We have carpet, and I hate it with every fiber (heh heh) of my being. To me, carpet makes no sense... why cover your entire floor with something that stubbornly clings to every particle of dirt that touches it? And just imagine never having to deal with a vacuum cleaner again! Ahhhhh.....

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And just imagine never having to deal with a vacuum cleaner again! Ahhhhh.....
We have hard (stone tile, parquet and laminate) floors throughout the house, and I vacuum them (with a canister-type vacuum).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to be the lone voice here... I much prefer carpet! It's less cold in winter, nicer to sit on, nicer for kids to play on, and nicer to walk on. We have carpet through the bedrooms, stairs and living area, tiles in the walkway and kitchen, and laminate in the bathrooms. We have just low pile carpet, and I think it's relatively old (we've been here for 18 months), and it's worn very well. There is no cat damage anywhere, no major stains despite a baby, and all of my mum friends like coming over because they don't have to worry about the kids falling and hurting themselves (they all have tile/wood floors). Until I am done having kids, and they are older, I wouldn't get anything other than a cheaper, low pile carpet.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have carpeting in family room and all the bedrooms (plus the hallway). Ceramic tile in one bathroom and limstone tile in the other too. Hardwood in living room/kitchen/dining area. I think most people living in more northern climates tend to stick with carpeting.