Silly Litter Box Habit?

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Every time my kitty uses the litter box, she does her business and instead of covering up her mess, she will scratch at the floor, wall, side of the litter box, basically everything within reach that isn't the litter lol. It isn't a problem, I just think it's funny! I was wondering if anyone else has a kitty that does the same thing?

She spends a solid couple of minutes just scratching the floor while she's still standing in the litter box, so I always know when she's in there haha!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL My kitten did this when he was younger. He is a bit over 2 now, and i haven't seen him do it in a while. He still makes mountains in the litter box, :) he is obsessive with making sure everything he just left is as well covered as possible...lol.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a female cat who does that. It drives me nuts sometimes because the litter box is in my upstairs office across from my bedroom and she will be in there in the middle of the night scratching to beat the band, all over the floor, file cabinet, everything but the litter box. HA! As long as she goes, that's all I care about.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cardboard scratchers by Gypsy pan. 1 is vertical wedged between the pan and a large plant pot, she uses it to clean her paws while she is still in the pan, after covering her business then she jumps out onto the scratcher on the floor and scratches with all 4 feet. What type of litter do you use you might try a different kind.
Is your cat declawed? Sometimes litter hurt to scratch in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I might try putting a cardborad scratcher by her litter box, she loves those. I use some kind of corn litter, and she doesn't seem to mind it! She's not declawed either, so I just hear her little claws against the floor over and over haha. It isn't really a problem though, she doesn't seem stressed! She just doesn't know how to actually paw in the litter box

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah it's funny bc she never actually covers anything up, she scratches around the litter box and then walks away like the job is done lol
My Ruby sometimes scratches the insides of the litter box but doesn't manage to cover anything. Then she jumps out leaving everything visible on top of the litter. Sometimes, though, she'll walk past the litter box later on and notice something needs to be buried, and then cover it then.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My female cat does this. It drives me up the wall because one of the litter boxes is in my bedroom and she likes to pick ridiculous hours of the night to spend 5 minutes in the box doing everything BUT covering her business. :lol: Sometimes my boy Gizmo will check out what's going on and even cover it for her.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My female cat does this. It drives me up the wall because one of the litter boxes is in my bedroom and she likes to pick ridiculous hours of the night to spend 5 minutes in the box doing everything BUT covering her business. :lol: Sometimes my boy Gizmo will check out what's going on and even cover it for her.
Exactly! That's what my cat does. Maybe it's a girl thing. Middle of the night and somehow the scratching gets incorporated into a dream. It's like she's digging a hole to China. And the sides of the litter pan are all scratched up. I asked the vet about it when she first started doing that, because I was worried it was a UTI and he said no, that's anxiety.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly! That's what my cat does. Maybe it's a girl thing. Middle of the night and somehow the scratching gets incorporated into a dream. It's like she's digging a hole to China. And the sides of the litter pan are all scratched up. I asked the vet about it when she first started doing that, because I was worried it was a UTI and he said no, that's anxiety.
I guess I’d be anxious too if I couldn’t figure out the simple task of covering my stuff! :lol: Oh cats. This is why we love them.