Silly Kitten Plays Fetch

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Totally cool and unexpected. My almost 5 month old kitten started playing fetch with us yesterday.

Our kitten always wakes us up around 6:30 am on the dot every morning wanting to play. We usually grumble and roll over pulling the sheet over out heads telling our silly kitty that its too early to get up (our normal get out of bed time is 8 am). Then kitty will start crying or sticking a cold wet nose in our faces (gross!), and pouncing on our stomachs (a 9.8 lb kitten is quite heavy when pouncing unexpectedly) until one of us gets up to play with him. He doesn't want pets or scritchies, he wants to play.

So I guess yesterday morning the normal grumbling about the morning was not acceptable to him. He brought us one of his toys, dropped it near our faces. So I tossed it from bed down the hallway in hopes that dear little kitty would go leaping after it and leave us in peace to sleep for a little while longer. Well, kitty did race after it, grabbed his toy and brought it back to our faces and plopped it down. When I didn't reach for it, he started batting at the toy as if to say 'my toy is over here, throw it for me!'. So I found it where he showed me and I tossed it again for him, he brought it back, my fiancee tossed it, kitty brought it back. My fiancee and I took turns tossing it out of the room and each time our kitten brought it back. When he was done playing after about 15 mins, he curled up with us and went to sleep and we were able to finish our sleep as well.

I was amazed. Never seen a kitten play fetch like a dog would before. I've had cats all my life and none of them would ever play fetch with me. And then I was astonished again this morning when my silly kitty woke me up at 6:30 again with a toy in my face. So we played fetch with him this morning again until he was tuckered out.

I'm hoping he does it again tomorrow morning. Makes him happy he gets to play and makes us happy we don't have to get out of bed to play with him in the early morning and we enjoy the fetch play, so win-win. Think I'm going to start rewarding his fetch behavior anytime he does it. I think it'd be way cool to have a cat that would play fetch with me on a normal basis. I wouldn't have to drop what I'm doing when I wanted to toss a catnip mousey across the room for him to go chase after. He always wants to play at the most inconvenient times. And when I'm ready to play with him, he's passed out in his kitty tree. Go figure, that's a cat for ya.

Does anyone else's kitty play fetch with them? I'm curious if this is a normal cat behavior or if my kitty is just silly.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't this adorable! Not every kitty does this, but when they do........

I actually have pics of Maia fetching when she was a kitten....

Here's one of my favorites!

Look at her little Puma face!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Batman plays fetch! He started as a young kitten playing fetch and still does it now (9 months old).

It's adorable!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya's a good fetch player. She also likes to drop toys in front of me (and on me while I sleep) just to let me know she wants to play.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly is 11 years old and still plays Fetch, both with me and by himself. My last red boy Baby (rb 1/98 ) also played fetch all his life.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 7 mo old Gabe plays fetch with us

He has this ratty toy mouse that he adores and we toss it across the room and he brings it right back to us and drops it right in front of it.

I was so excited when he first did this and I really hope he keeps the practice up.

Thankfully though, unlike a dog, he does get bored after a bit and doesn't want to fetch all day long