Signs of Nearing End of Life

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a few weeks ago about my boy who, at 15, is at the upper limit of his life expectancy for a Maine Coon. As I said, he was exhibiting every sign of feline intestinal lymphosarcoma. I brought him in the vet at the beginning of it, and nothing specific was found or diagnosed, despite his black tarry stool and loss of weight. I also reported his vomiting, but that's been more or less a constant for him along with chronic constipation/lifelong feline megacolon. His blood panel was normal; no diabetes, hyperthyroidism, or any other easily diagnosed disorder was discovered. From what I've read, the tests for lymphosarcoma are invasive and painful, and the (unreliable) chemotherapy isn't something I'd put him through.

Right after that, the 'rona struck, and there was no going back to the vet; even now, you leave your pet at the door.

He has, in these three months, continued to lose weight and energy to the point where he now eats very little and sleeps most of the time. In addition, he seems confused at times; his walk and even his meow have grown weak. As I also stated in my post, I hate the way this usually happens: a dying pet is brought in and is put through tortures at the hands of the vet to try to save a life when it's futile. Just recently, a friend's pet was admitted for three days; she couldn't even visit her. Eventually, after being hooked up to tubes and terrified, she was euthanized.

I realize that running to the vet is what everyone does, but in my experience, that isn't always the best decision. Does is sound like my cat is coming to the end, and would it be wrong to just let him peacefully pass at home?

Last edited:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand not putting your cat through a lot of treatments if things are terminal. The issue is they don’t usually pass “”peacefully” without pain and suffering. There is a company called lapoflove.com and it has a lot of information that I have used to make decisions about when it’s time to say goodbye. It’s never an easy decision.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know that I can say that your cat is near the end just because I am not there to form that opinion....your description does sound as if he is weakening though. The only problem I have with him passing away peacefully at home is that you don't know that it will be peaceful, especially given that cats are so stoic about pain. I realize that saying goodbye in a parking lot and handing him over to a vet tech is not what anyone wants to do. Is there any chance of home euthanasia? I realize that it may conflict with the protocol for the virus, but if you can find a vet who is willing, I think that sort of home visit comes under the same heading as needing to call for repair service which cannot be postponed because it is an emergency. I am so sorry that you are facing this with your beloved pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

all4mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess the conflict is that I'm reluctant to put him down without a firm diagnosis (with my last pets, it was clear what the problem was and that there was no hope) but, in order to get that firm diagnosis, I'd have to put him through agonies, which I'm also unwilling to do. In the case of two of them, I was basically given the choice (I felt) to either leave them overnight to undergo futile torture or make the decision on the spot to put them down - I was discouraged from taking them home to think it over - about which I later had regrets and doubts. As I say, this seems to be routine (my friend's experience and that of countless others I've heard about). I feel as if, if I brought him in, that would be it, whereas he might otherwise have weeks or months more. If at any point I saw he was in distress, I would rush him in as an emergency.

Definitely not an easy decision when it's not a cut-and-dried case. I will check out that website.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know for a fact that he has lymphosarcoma? He could have intestinal bleeding from an ulcer that has flared up thus causing black tar like stools and throwing up.

Can you drop him off at a vet to see what is actually wrong with him?