Signature Size Reminder

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a reminder to everyone, because I've noticed a few signatures lately that are way too big...

Images in signatures should be visually no larger than a business card, and 30 KB in size or less. (I've noticed some rather large sigs today...) This is out of respect of our dial up users and those with a smaller screen size so the signatures don't take forever to load and take up half the screen...

Also, you are welcome to post a simple link to your website(s) in your signature, but please no dissertations on the content.
(I haven't seen this, but just a reminder...)

All signatures must conform to the rest of our rules and regulations that govern any regular post.

Thank you!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... sometimes those REALLY big signature can be annoying!
Thanks for the reminder! I went and double checked mine, just to be sure!

Maybe you should make this a sticky post?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie, the problem with sticky posts is that they get overlooked because they are stickied at the top of the page. Funny, huh? We sticky something because it's important, and then it gets ignored.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Cassie, the problem with sticky posts is that they get overlooked because they are stickied at the top of the page. Funny, huh? We sticky something because it's important, and then it gets ignored.
Ironic! LOL! In that case.... :bump:

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Just a reminder to everyone, because I've noticed a few signatures lately that are way too big...

Images in signatures should be visually no larger than a business card, and 30 KB in size or less. (I've noticed some rather large sigs today...) This is out of respect of our dial up users and those with a smaller screen size so the signatures don't take forever to load and take up half the screen...

Also, you are welcome to post a simple link to your website(s) in your signature, but please no dissertations on the content.
(I haven't seen this, but just a reminder...)

All signatures must conform to the rest of our rules and regulations that govern any regular post.

Thank you!
:bump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

A question... will that file size be updated as dial up connections become rarer and older computers stop existing?
If and/or when broadband becomes the sole method that people get online worldwide, then we might think about it.
However, most webmasters who keep track of their userstats can attest that the overall standards aren't going to be changing anytime soon. For instance, at my websites, over 1/2 of my visitors are still using 800x600 resolution so even though that's quite an old standard I still need to design for that resolution so everyone can access the site(s).

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If and/or when broadband becomes the sole method that people get online worldwide, then we might think about it.
However, most webmasters who keep track of their userstats can attest that the overall standards aren't going to be changing anytime soon. For instance, at my websites, over 1/2 of my visitors are still using 800x600 resolution so even though that's quite an old standard I still need to design for that resolution so everyone can access the site(s).
Well, I had always noticed that the vast majority of my website's visitors is like that... The main page statistics read that 99.50% of the visitors use 600x800. The second page which is the other widely visited one reads that 60% of visitors use 600x800. But since its a website whose visitors are almost all from Puerto Rico (though I get a few feedback emails from Puerto Ricans abroad) I just though a lot that higher resolutions are not that common in here, and not that it was almost to an extent, a worldwide standard.

(I am still trying to figure out how come the amount of visitors on Win XP is on the lower than 1% minority
)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

how do i know what resolution my computer is?
You have to "right click" the picture(s) in question, and check out "Properties/Eigenschaften". Your siggy is just under 13,000 bytes, so quite okay.

I have figured out how to resize signatures, so if anybody is having trouble, feel free to PM me.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder Heidi.

Victor, here in NZ out of all the NZ'ers I know I don't know anyone that uses anything other than dial up. A few of us have tried to install everything for Broadband but it was too much hassle and for me it stuffed my computer up(had to get a new one!)

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

A question... will that file size be updated as dial up connections become rarer and older computers stop existing?
I wouldn't count on it. I am on broadband, and there are still times the site gets hung up in loading. It's usually hung up on fetching the images in people's signatures.

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi ! I had mine made by Eve and it was to big she resized it for me but I still dont know if it is the right size now. Please someone let me know. Debbie