*Sigh...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet and he said to stay on course with the meds just in case. Josie's left eye is producing very think mucous now. So maybe she's having allergic reaction to something? She gets lysine daily--that is when she eats. I do wonder if it's a bug...the other cat, Dory, didn't finish her breakfast and I wonder if she's now feeling a little under the weather. It's harder to tell with her because she's a much more solitary and staid cat. Josie, I could tell something was wrong because she's so much more social and alpha.

After her morning meds, Josie did manage to eat a small serving of canned food mixed with kibble. So that was very encouraging. And hasn't gotten sick yet. I'm going to head out and pick up some hairball solution, keep it around for prevention.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
very cheap hairball ... petroleum jelly( i hate to use it but it is the main in most hairball aids)

kitkaturday

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

very cheap hairball ... petroleum jelly( i hate to use it but it is the main in most hairball aids)
You better specify which end! There's n00bs here and no, it is not obvious!

Actually, I have a pretty good idea in case we ever need it at Kasa KitKaturday, 'sides, it's only gonna go in that end anyway, 'cause I ain't putting my finger anywhere near the other one. No, not that that end.
I mean the other that end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using jelly but the kitties hate it, run away from it and when i do manage to smear on their paws, it gets flicked everywhere. i'm hoping a tasty brand will entice the brats. it will be worth the cost to lose drama.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

I've been using jelly but the kitties hate it, run away from it and when i do manage to smear on their paws, it gets flicked everywhere. i'm hoping a tasty brand will entice the brats. it will be worth the cost to lose drama.
have you tried butter?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butter really passes through too quickly to do much good for hair balls.

Try petromalt, Mazy loves that. I use three kinds and rotate them. Cat Lax, which is cod liver oil based, Petromalt, which is mineral oil based, and the Tomlyn brand of laxatone, which is white petroleum based.

For Tolly and Jennie I just put the glob into their mouths, kind of swiping it to the side of the mouth and back.

For Mazy I smear it in a thin layer all down her front leg and paw, for her to lick off.

Always give hairball remedy on an empty stomach at least an hour before food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Butter really passes through too quickly to do much good for hair balls.

Try petromalt, Mazy loves that. I use three kinds and rotate them. Cat Lax, which is cod liver oil based, Petromalt, which is mineral oil based, and the Tomlyn brand of laxatone, which is white petroleum based.

For Tolly and Jennie I just put the glob into their mouths, kind of swiping it to the side of the mouth and back.

For Mazy I smear it in a thin layer all down her front leg and paw, for her to lick off.

Always give hairball remedy on an empty stomach at least an hour before food.
Butter has worked well here

I would be more trusting of a cod liver base as it would be less likely to take nutrients out with it ... Where do you find cat lax ?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen Cat Lax in some specialty pet stores around here. One in particular that has the good quality food and dentrifice supplies.