Sigh...another kitten

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 days ago I heard a tiny kitten yowling across the street.  First day I didnt see it.  Second day I see it run to the shed and hide under it.  I left food out for it. 

Today I saw it running across the road to another 6 month old kitten just crying its head off.  It saw me and ran back under the shed.  I started calling to it and it started talking back to me.  It is clearly only about 5 to 6 weeks...no other kittens and not mother cat.  I again left food out for it.  I sat tonight in the grass talking to it and he came about 20 feet from me and just kept mewling at me.

It got spooked and ran back under the shed when I bike went by but I took a flashlight and he came right to the hidey hole and I could see him.  He stopped talking to me but would not come any farther.  I was about 5 feet from him

Ok...how do I catch this little baby so I can take it to the shelter?  In the meantime there were two 6 month old kittens that were more than happy to rub on me and get some scratches.  I petted them in front of the baby so he could see that I was not a threat.  I think that might have worked because he came closer to me after a bit of time.

I wish people would spay/neuter their pets.  I live a couple of blocks from a rental street and they are always leaving their pets behind for others to deal with.  It makes me so darned mad.  Then the old man behind me just feeds them (which is great) but doesnt get them fixed so there are more and more litters of kittens.  I plan on grabbing any that are strays and taking them to the shelter.  I hope that doesnt sound cruel but they are much safer there than getting hit by a car and making more kittens that I can watch get killed/die.

So what suggestions do you have for me to catch this little baby?  He is too light to set a trap off I believe.  He is very tiny.  (I dont actually know if its a boy or girl though.)

Tammy

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you borrow a drop trap? If not, start leaving food in a carrier and sit close to it. Once he gets the idea of eating inside, you can shut the door. You might need to use a stick or broom handle to shut it and keep it closed while you get close enough to secure it.

By being close you a) get him used to you and b) control who goes in to eat the food. Good luck and thank you for helping.

Ps. Any way you can take all the cats to get fixed and let them back out in the area. If someone is feeding, they will be less likely to roam(and get hit) once their hormones die down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will a young kitten like this come out during the day?  I left dry food out and some wet early this morning but I have not heard/seen it.  Do you think it would have moved to a different spot? 

I know that there is not a mama cat as he cries at night and chases any cat that goes by looking for companionship.  I don't know...maybe with his full belly from the food last night he is just sleeping during the active part of the day.

I will get really worried if I dont see him tonight thought. 

Any thoughts?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would set things up at dusk or even dawn. You are right - he may feel safer coming out at night and today, his belly is full enough.

PS. Don't forget bug spray for yourself. :)

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah...but spray.  I got at least 10 skeeter bites on my legs and feet.  Still no sign of him.  I worry with all the yowling he did the last 3 nights it has drawn the attention of some older toms that might hurt him.  I'll keep checking.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible for a kitten that small to set off a trap - some models have a trigger you can set with varying degrees of sensitivity.   I'd go for it!    Thanks for caring about the kitties.

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would take them all in but unfortunately I dont have the funds for it.  I have 5 strays now and a dog..and I am thankful that I can take good care of the ones I have.  (All indoors by the way).  I worry about the ones on the street though.  I cant seem to help it! 

I still havent heard/seen the kitten today.  There was a rather large tom hanging around the place he is at so I am hoping he is just hiding and not hurt.  He has talked back to me everytime I went over there except for today.  I said a prayer to Bast to protect him and all the other strays that people just leave like trash.  Makes me ill!

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no sign of the kitten...

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No sign of the kitten.  Another co worker told me that a small kitten was found with its throat slashed and tossed to the side of the road.  The street is right by me.  I have this horrible feeling it was my kitten that I was trying to catch.  I am waiting on a description of the poor kitten found this morning. 

I am spitting mad...who ever did this better pray that I never find out who they are.  Hell will not be far enough to get away from me. 

I am just so upset...he was within 5 feet of me and I just could not get my hands on him.  I keep going back to his hidey hole and making the noises that he came to and there is not a peep there at all.  I am just sick thinking of this poor kitten who finally trusted someone and then he was hurt.  God help me...I might to bodily harm to someone over this.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HUGS TJN, I'd be full of rage too - I don't know what is wrong with people.   I hope your kitten got picked up by a good person but it doesn't change some kitten didn't too.   We just do the best we can in the moment, that is all we can offer.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TJN66. So sorry to hear this. I have never understood how people can be so cruel. It's frightening, too, because people who abuse animals move on to abuse people.

Is there a way you can contact AC - to document this. It may be helpful in the future.

RIP little kitty ...

tjn66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was confirmed today it was the little kitten I was trying to catch.  I know the person that found him called the police and animal control.  I pray that the fiend that did this gets caught.  I also pray I dont find out who did it.  The anger I feel is just unbelievable.  I am scared to leave my dog out on nice days in the yard now.  I worry that someone would hurt/poison him.  So he stays in the house now when we are at work. 

Sigh...I feel like I am to blame for the kittens death.  I almost had him trusting me, then when he finally trusted someone it he was killed.  I am sure he was tortured too.  I know he is at the rainbow bridge but the thought of what he went thru to get there just horrifies me.  I dont think anyone except another animal lover would understand what I mean.   I just feel so guilty that I couldnt get him to a safe place before he was hurt. 

Some sick people just dont deserve to breath I feel.  I pray that karma gets them in the end.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this.  I have a feeling, though, that whoever did this didn't bother being nice to the kitten.  I know the idea of the kitten finally trusting someone is haunting you but I don't think that's what happened.

And as you say, this fiend will get what he or she deserves.  Karma's a b**ch.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are a good soul TJ, please know it wasn't your fault at all.   And trust me they are living their karma already, I suspect people capable of such acts suffer in simply existing as who they are if that makes any sense.    I pray the little kitten has an excellent rebirth into a loving and safe place.