Sick skinny kitten not eating

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I foster kittens and cats and yesterday I decided to take home a kitten from a litter of 3 that was found outside 2 weeks ago. The foster of them is overwhelmed and thought this runt of the litter should go to be fostered separately by someone and I volunteered. The kitten is 8 weeks old and 1 pound. When I got home yesterday she did eat and drank a lot but according to the previous foster she’s had bad loose stool that is very smelly. In the span of 4 hours she passed loose stool 3 times.
I could hardly sleep last night thinking about her and she also never left my side other than to eat and use the litterbox.
Today I managed to get in to a vet and I took a stool sample. glucose levels are good, temp is good, negative for leukemia but dangerously thin. I have her on omepradazole (sp)? And Panacur once a day. I only gave her the panacur so far as we got back at 2 pm. We are waiting on what the stool sample says to see if it’s Giardia or Coccidia.
kitten doesn’t play at all and just wants to snuggle in my lap and sleep. Coat is dull.
today after the vet she hasn’t eaten and I tried syringe feeding her but it’s not going well. She’s skin and bones and I’m in tears. How to syringe feed and not have her hate it? Below are photos and videos.
Sick kitten 1

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To syringe feed her if she doesn’t eat but she’s hating it and I’ve watched like 3 videos on how to do it. Idk what to do. She’s not sitting still to get the food even if I burritoed her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small cat 7pds 9 yrs old. When she was 5 weeks she was 2 ponds. Please call your vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mushandthefamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, but I wrote in my post I brought fecal samples to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is likely reacting to the omeprazole and panacur. At only one pound her tummy can only handle so much.

Smear honey or glucose on her gums and give small doses of unflavored pedialyte hourly. The sugar will give her a boost and the pedialyte will provide needed electrolytes depleted from diarrhea and not eating.

Try to get a meal into her before giving more meds. Hoping she will round the corner soon. Diarrhea is often from parasites or intestinal bacterial infection. Metronidazole will cure it.