Sick sick kitty named Pumpkin

rhowman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help.  After multiple visits to the vet with no resolution, I am losing confidence in our vet that we have had for years and much poorer.  Spent hundreds and need to try and find solution.

We adopted Fred (boy orange tabby) and Pumpkin (girl orange tabby) just over a year ago from the same Rescue organization.  They are NOT litter mates and both were about 8 months old when we got them.  Both were healthy, neutered and had their shots.  We confirmed this with our vet who has been out vet for 20 years.  Fred is no problem at all except he is VERY playful and drives Pumpkin nuts.  I tell you this because he could be part of the problem.  About eight months after we got them Pumpkin was losing weight and obviously not feeling very good.  After multiple vet visits and getting info on this site I specifically asked them to test her fecal deposit for giardia.  They did and it was position.  So we gave her medicine.  Then the pooping diarhia outside the litter box began.  After significant weight loss from the diarhia and vomiting we started feeding her AD food.  She has weight on her tummy area but the back end of her back is very thin.  She started losing weight again so back to the vet.  He gave her more meds, gave her fluids and retested her fecal sample as she had started vomiting again.  Now the meds are done and she is not gaining weight.  Vomiting has stopped but she doesn't drink much water so she is getting dehydrated again.  Now the vet wants to do tests that will cost approx. $1,000 which I cannot afford as we have already spent that much if not more.   Fred bugs her unmercilessly - he is playing but she does not feel good and doesn't want to be bothered.  My little girl is heading for her 2nd birthday and she is only 5 pounds!!  I have considered trying Rescue Remedy to see if that helps her not be so stressed over not feeling good and Fred bugging her.  Your opinion?  I believe she has an enzyme deficiency and her body is not getting the nutrients it needs - we give her Probiotics daily - we also feed her ProPlan per the vet's recommendation with some AD mixed in.  I am so frustrated because I want her to get better but I do not have the financial means to spend tons of money to the vet.  Are there vets that will provide service when there is a financial need?  Please don't tell me that we should not have got pets if we couldn't afford them - I have had cats my entire life and this is the first time we have had a really sick kitty so young.  All my other cats have been healthy throughout their lives except when they were at the end of their lives and then they were much older.  Does anybody know ways to try to help Pumpkin?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i hope someone more knowledgeable to what you're going through can chime in and help you :(

i'm so sorry for all this that you're going through with Pumpkin...

here are some tid bits that i can offer...

1) when mixing her food, also mix in some warm water. if she doesn't drink water on her own, this is a GREAT way to get extra water into your cat's system

2) call some other vets for a second opinion, and ask them if they do payment plans. i'm not sure where you are, but a lot of offices are willing to help.

3) try cat calming treats for your orange tabby boy to calm him down so he's not so rowdy with pumpkin...and try to keep them separated if you feel him being energetic is affecting her..distract HIM with a toy and divert his attention.

i hope others offer you more and better advice.

good luck and please keep us posted on Pumpkin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rhowman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion on adding water to her food.....

Might try that with Fred but he isn't overly active - he is just a playful cat (that I hope never gets old) but because she feels so bad she doesn't want anything to do with him.  Have you heard of Rescue Remedy for cats?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i've read about it here on this site on many threads, however i myself have never tried it. If you put "rescue remedy" on the search bar uptop, it will pull up everything related to that on this site. :)

I would have suggested giving pumpkin the cat calming treats. most cat calming treats uses natural herbs to help keep kitties stress levels down, or if a cat is rowdy, it will help them be a bit more calm

I've recently purchased Calming Spray by Nature's Miracle, and have had great results with both of my cats. (6 dollars a bottle at PetSmart)

Although this was initially intended for one of my cats, Jet, who's a former stray and is always skittish and hiding, I guess my Charlie has picked up on it, and it has made him calmer (usually he's super active and is bouncing off the walls). its non sedative. and wears off after a couple hours. He will be calm and just sit and lay and cuddle with us, and purrs galore lol