Sick queen with cat flu, now seriously ill kitten

ksimpson456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat had gotten pregnant, then just a few weeks caught cat flu from one of our other cats who goes outside. I tried so hard to separate them but ultimately failed. I was hoping she’d hold off on giving birth until it cleared up but she had her litter of four just 5 days ago. One of the boys is now seriously ill, just overnight. Stuffy congested nose, eye discharge, but he seems to be having difficulty breathing as well. He’s almost gasping for air, and won’t latch to feed. I don’t know what to do, do i try and hand rear him myself? I have no experience with it and worry about feeding if he can’t even latch onto a nipple. But i don’t want to put him back in the box with the others because of increased infection rates. I’m just so worried none of them will make it, if the queen is still actively sick? I assume they’ll all end up catching it right? Is there any chance of survival? Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated, i am so concerned. I wish i could afford to take them all to the vet but sadly i can’t right now. Thanks.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The one having trouble breathing, immediately take to a vet. He or she will help you out how to take care of the other cats. Emergency vets are open so give a call. Keep all the cats inside in separate rooms. Good luck! For litter boxes,if you immediately need one,use any box

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that the kitten needs a vet. It sounds like he may need antibiotics; mom too.

The kitten may have fever and with congestion does not feel up to nursing. Smear honey or karo syrup on his gums for quick energy, then give drops of sugar water slowly in the side of his mouth using a syringe or dropper. Let him swallow and breathe between drops. He needs the fluids. You can create steam in a bathroom by running a hot shower, then hold him in your arms in the room for 5 minutes to help with congestion.

This is a temporary fix. Try to find a vet who will treat and take payments. It should only cost the price of the visit plus meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ksimpson456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that the kitten needs a vet. It sounds like he may need antibiotics; mom too.

The kitten may have fever and with congestion does not feel up to nursing. Smear honey or karo syrup on his gums for quick energy, then give drops of sugar water slowly in the side of his mouth using a syringe or dropper. Let him swallow and breathe between drops. He needs the fluids. You can create steam in a bathroom by running a hot shower, then hold him in your arms in the room for 5 minutes to help with congestion.

This is a temporary fix. Try to find a vet who will treat and take payments. It should only cost the price of the visit plus meds.
Okay, I think i’ll just have to take him. The only emergency vet near me has closed for the day, so I will call tomorrow and pray he makes it through the night. I cleared his nose with a warm washcloth for a few minutes and he’s having an easier time now. In the meantime should i let him be with the other kits/mom? She hasn’t rejected him yet and has been spending a lot of time licking him, i assume to stimulate him. I’ll try the honey/sugar water trick too. My main fear is leaving him with the others, but if momma is still sick i guess it won’t matter anyway. She’s doing really well though, not sure if she needs antibiotics. The only symptom she has currently is a sneeze here and there but if it gets worse i’ll take her too. I’ve been feeding her kitten food to try and give her some extra nutrients and that seemed to perk her right up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ksimpson456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you so much, i figured he would but just wanted to make sure.