Sick, possibly FIV+ Feral Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's home! Spayed and toothless and still quite groggy. I've given her a little drink of water and she's sleeping in her house now. Going to try her with some soft food later.

The vet gave me all her teeth in a little plastic bag.

I wonder what I should do with them? Bury them maybe? Buddhist culture has got some very definite ideas about keeping body parts. Japanese mothers keep their baby's umbilical cords safe in a little box. I wouldn't want to do anything disrespectful with her teeth.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read this thread from the beginning. What a lucky kitty she is. All toothless and gummy. .she reminds me of my 16 month old granddaughter who has her tongue sticking out most of the time as well. As did I as a childband wellike into my 20'a.
She's a lovely little girl. Enjoy her.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully she heals quickly and adjust to no teeth without any issues.  So glad she is spayed!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She polished off a whole can of Gourmet Chicken Pate for dinner, I think she's going to be fine.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad everything went well. If she's already well enough to eat entire cans of food (despite what I would imagine is still a sore mouth), then she's going to be just fine :D

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She's home! Spayed and toothless and still quite groggy. I've given her a little drink of water and she's sleeping in her house now. Going to try her with some soft food later.

The vet gave me all her teeth in a little plastic bag.

I wonder what I should do with them? Bury them maybe? Buddhist culture has got some very definite ideas about keeping body parts. Japanese mothers keep their baby's umbilical cords safe in a little box. I wouldn't want to do anything disrespectful with her teeth.
I would bury them.  Poor dear, hopefully she's going to make a full recovery.  Sounds like she's well on her way!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As for keeping parts from my kitties, I'm guilty of keeping ANYTHING that reminds me of the cat or cats. I have a surprisingly large collection of cat's whiskers from decades of the cats that have shared the house with me. Some white, some black, some a little of both...they help me remember their faces and fun times...plus they are pretty hard to find if you have carpetting that is not a dark color (or light color...depends on the color of the whisker). They are pretty stiff and I have seen some people that use them to make art pieces.

My little girl, Salome, has an issue with her teeth and the vet said that they (at least a few lower ones) will probably have to come out in the future. I'm sure that I will clean them off and put them away with the collection of whiskers. So, no, I don't think keeping misc cat parts is crazy. Eccentric maybe...crazy, No!

Jim 
(I own Jerry Garcia's Limo...never saw an emote dedicated to Jerry Garcia...maybe Jerry Springer!!)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read this thread from the beginning. What a lucky kitty she is. All toothless and gummy. .she reminds me of my 16 month old granddaughter who has her tongue sticking out most of the time as well. As did I as a childband wellike into my 20'a.
She's a lovely little girl. Enjoy her.
I'm talking about Happy not my granddaughter. :nod:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for keeping parts from my kitties, I'm guilty of keeping ANYTHING that reminds me of the cat or cats. I have a surprisingly large collection of cat's whiskers from decades of the cats that have shared the house with me. Some white, some black, some a little of both...they help me remember their faces and fun times...plus they are pretty hard to find if you have carpetting that is not a dark color (or light color...depends on the color of the whisker). They are pretty stiff and I have seen some people that use them to make art pieces.
   My little girl, Salome, has an issue with her teeth and the vet said that they (at least a few lower ones) will probably have to come out in the future. I'm sure that I will clean them off and put them away with the collection of whiskers. So, no, I don't think keeping misc cat parts is crazy. Eccentric maybe...crazy, No!

Jim  :jerry: (I own Jerry Garcia's Limo...never saw an emote dedicated to Jerry Garcia...maybe Jerry Springer!!)
I also have a collection of various kitty'so whiskers.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm just seeing this! (I don't get notifications for anything, and they can't figure out how to make it work). Better to just PM me, because I do check messages. I don't have experience with FIV+ kittens, but looks like you did an amazing job! Gosh I LOVE the enclosure and she is absolutely ADORABLE! :heart2:

As to her ongoing URI issue, is lactoferrin more readily available? Or colostrum? Lactoferrin is indicated for FIV+ cats to slow down the progression of the virus. It is immuno-modulatory, but the good news is it helps the body fight the herpes virus, too. With Chumley, he hates lysine, and I use just the lactoferrin. If he has a URI flare up, I add colostrum (though lactoferrin is actually a component of colostrum). He gets 250mg a day (lactoferrin), split into 1/2 AM and 1/2 PM, just sprinkled on his food. Can you order from iHerb there? I know many do around the world, notably Australia and NZ, and even shipping isn't an arm and a leg. ??????

And WONDERFUL she's spayed and doing so well despite having lost all those teeth. She'll be feeling sooooooo much better soon! :clap:

sweetsadiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww she is adorable. I'm so glad she has you. You have taken such good care of her. I'm sure if she could talk she'd say thank youI have a adult fiv cat he is doing well. What I've learned is to keep his immune system as strong as possible . L-lysine would be a good supplement for your kitten it's good for eye and virus's . Viralys is the best.vets sale it but you can get it for half the price on -line. Gel or power.exp: A mild cold can become full blown with these guys in no time at all because of there compromised immune system. My sons feral kittens had crusty eyes and this product is what the vet recommended I give to my feral.
Also pure 99% colloid silver. It's natural antibotic you can put in her eye -many other uses lots of info on web. The other product I give daily to all 3 cats is 100% Pure (Bovine) Colostrum powder. Great for immune system and digestive wolfcreekranch.net has great info on their website about it and also the C silver. I learned about the colostrum from homeopathic vet. The reg conventional veterinarians most will not think it does anything to help pets.thats not true. Humans use this supplement too. Best wishes !

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the advice @sweetsadiecat  @LDG  I'll see if I can get some lactoferrin or colostrum. I have tried her with L-lysine, but I could only find one brand over here and she refused to eat it. It's supposed to be fish flavour but it has a kind of yeasty smell, is that normal? None of the other cats would touch it either.

She's doing really well, eating her three meals a day a little slower than usual, but still eating a whole can at a time. I think she looks better already.

She still lets me pet her and purrs when she sees me, even though I've taken her to the vet twice in the past week. She's such a sweet girl.

I'll post some more pictures of her soon.

sweetsadiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the update. Happy is a tough little girl.good to hear she's eating .brand I get is Viralys it's a gel . Doesn't have a flavor- some cats don't like it.their are some tricks to get them to take it . Can't think of what they right now.usually I mix with can food. I usually get it on amazon also the colostrum I get imutex brand. Also can get at health unlimited but over priced there.

sweetsadiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh not familiar with lactoferrin - what is that?
Oh I wish happy would take the l-lysine because it's a anti-viral supplement.just got a quick look a post bout the lactoferrin. If you do get the colostrum start with pinch so immune won't be over taxed. I have instructions for kittens & sick animals if you need them.what about probiotics? That might be even better to give her? I don't know what age you can give to kittens? How old do you think she is?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh not familiar with lactoferrin - what is that?
Oh I wish happy would take the l-lysine because it's a anti-viral supplement.just got a quick look a post bout the lactoferrin. If you do get the colostrum start with pinch so immune won't be over taxed. I have instructions for kittens & sick animals if you need them.what about probiotics? That might be even better to give her? I don't know what age you can give to kittens? How old do you think she is?
Somewhere between 6 and 12 months. She's tiny, only weighs 5 lbs, but she did have a heat cycle before she was spayed so I'm guessing at least 6 months old and small because she didn't get enough to eat when she was fending for herself.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you post some more pictures of happy? I think about her alot, and am so thankful you found her. You are doing a wonderful job taking care of her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow. She looks amazing. Such a huge improvement.
  She's a beautiful little girl and she looks so content. Happy is the perfect name for her.