Sick kitty

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little Wisner is hardly eating at all and she is hiding, without spirit. She is 14, and I fear she is on her way out.

Any recommendations for food for this little one? I have tried baby food and Fancy Feast, but nothing appeals. And if anyone has had a cat hide away, how can I get her to come out, or should I just let her be?

scottg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
get the cat to the vet asap, they can start to store fat in their liver and get fatty liver disease from not eating for 24-48hours. Aka they store fat in their liver and start to have liver failure. Also look at the cats gums, and whites of its eyes, white gums or yellow coloring is very bad. My own cat is very ill right now an it started with her not eating.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My little Wisner is hardly eating at all and she is hiding, without spirit. She is 14, and I fear she is on her way out.

Any recommendations for food for this little one? I have tried baby food and Fancy Feast, but nothing appeals. And if anyone has had a cat hide away, how can I get her to come out, or should I just let her be?
She should be seen by a vet immediately.  1) it may actually be easily treatable and fixable. 2) A vet may help you make a decision about euthanasia which if indicated would relieve your cat's suffering, and i guarantee that based on your description your cat is in significant discomfort. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A kitty hiding does not automatically mean that she is dying but it does mean she is very ill or in pain.  It's a survival instinct.  In the wild a sick cat is easy prey so they hide so predators can't see them, predators have almost a sixth sense to pick out the weak animal to prey on.

The kitty really does need to be seen by a vet ASAP.  If that isn't possible then you will need to syringe feed her.  To syringe feed you need to use the side of her mouth and go very slow.  Give a little bit, give her time to swallow it, then give a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.