sick kitty

cvcarpenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am trying to find an answer to this question.  My mother passed away six months ago from pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed in 2010.  Sorry guys, this is going to be a long question
 anyhow!!! What I am trying to find out is why after mom passed away her seven year old siamese Gizzie suddenly started losing weight and getting these sores all over his body along with losing his  hair.  Mom was having some very radical chemotherapy treatments and close to the end she had started leaking fluid from her arms and legs. Gizzie refused to leave her side except to eat and drink.  Could it have been possible that the chemo was transferred into him and this is what has been making him so ill? We are financially strapped at the moment so we have been unable to take him to the vet for extensive testing. The vet mentioned it might be an allergy so we changed his food to all natural food and changed his cat litter to all natural cat litter and this has not helped. He has now started having seizures. Please any ideas would be grateful. Thank you for your time

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot answer that....only a vet can. 

Look into care credit.  Find a vet that participates and you can use it the same day you apply.  I would think your vet could answer your question though free of charge.

I know things are tight financially.  Here too.  Please find some way to help this kitty.  He was your moms best furry friend who is now intrusted into your care.  He may have endangered his own health to be near her.  I have told my vet..."I have 100.00 to spend.  What can you do for me?"  That way you can at least get some help. 

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. Hugs! :rbheart:
I agree with farleyv, you really have to speak to a vet about this and Care Credit is a fantastic option if you are strapped financially and can't afford to spend a lot of money on a vet visit. I'm not sure how much it is where you are, but here in Canada, a vet exam is anywhere from $55 - $75 dollars, depending on the vet. Try even calling around to different vets and see if any of them will work with you and lower your costs and put you on a payment plan. So sorry that Gizzie isn't feeling well and my prayers are with you. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cvcarpenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried to get care credit and due to me having to quit my job in san antonio to move here to take care of mom and grandma my credit is shot therefore i was not approved for care credit. The only vet here in this town i live in is very expensive and i am now making minimum wage from over twenty dollars an hour. I am so frustrated. The vet told me the only way to find out what is wrong with him is to do a series of tests and see why the seizures have started he quoted me a price of around 500.00
. I guess I am just going to have to figure out a way to get him to the vet. Thanks guys for answering and thanks for the condolences about my mom Kittylover.  It has been rough but Mom loved her cats so much and it tears me up inside that I can't get him the care that is needed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you?  I'm in Fort Worth and have a very inexpensive vet.  I'd be happy to recommend her if you're in the area.

Also, most likely what triggered this is the death of your mom, especially since it seems that Gizzie was very attached to her.  Gizzie is grieving, which is very normal for kitties to do after a loved one dies.  The stress of the death of your mom and the changes that have come into Gizzie's life have caused this outbreak and loss of appetite.  Have you changed her food or litter recently and have you tried anything like a Feliway diffuser or Rescue Remedy to help with the stress?  Is she eating at all?  How are her litter box habits?

cvcarpenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is still eating very well and we did change his food but we went to all natural because we were thinking maybe he was having an allergy. We also changed his cat litter to all natural to get away from the perfumes and such. I have not tried anything for stress (hadn't even thought of that actually
) I will have to go pick some up tomorrow and maybe see if this will help. He did start getting sick after my mom passed and I know he misses her ALOT!!! He would not leave her side the entire time she was sick up until about a day before she passed away. She was leaking from her arms and legs so much that when he would get up to use the litter box or to eat and drink his side would be soaking wet from the fluid that came out of mom. That is why I was wondering if maybe the chemotherapy that mom was using at the end may be the cause of what is happening to him.

cvcarpenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh sorry i am located about 45 minutes from Beamont Texas about 8 hours from you!!!