Sick Kitty?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An x ray will show if she has a blockage, so that is an important test.

A CBC (blood test) will show things like white cell blood count (if elevated can indicate infection.) and red cell (too low can indicate anemia)

Full blood work (usually sent out to a lab, so more expensive) will show if there are any organ malfunctions. It will show thyroid levels, blood calcium, (elevated can mean presence of cancer) kidney function, and liver enzymes, what's going on with the pancreas.

Kidney disease can cause the kind of problem she is having. It's rare but not unheard of for a young cat to have kidney failure, usually a genetic problem. Liver shunts can also cause this type of illness. Pancreaticitis, too.

A urinalysis can give info on whether diabetes is a problem, if there is a UTI or crystals, or a kidney infection (not the same thing as kidney disease).

Those are the most basic tests, and the ones I would ask for.

If your vet suspects fluid build up arund the heart or lungs an ultrasound may be suggested.

Has Sophia been tested for FeLV/FIV? (Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS)

You can ask your vet if s/he thinks a food allergy is a possibility. The best way to determine this is to feed a special food that contains no known allergens. If her condition improves, then it's likely you are dealing with food allergy.

Gradually adding other foods with certain known allergens (chicken, fish, grains) will rule out which ones to avoid.

You can ask about IBD (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

If you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting from your current vet, a second opinion would be your next step.

I hope this is helpful to you

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at the link you posted. I saw where someone was asking about things sprayed around the house.

Could she be getting into any kind of cleaner, or plant? Do you use any kind of room deodorizers that she could be sensitive to?

What kind of cat litter do you use?

She could have ingested a string or other foreign object.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice bengal girl you have there.

I guess I'm the resident bengal expert here, but what you have is a sick kitty and not a bengal specific problem, so I agree with the advice you have been given so far.

The only thing I would suggest you might try, is feeding her boiled chicken breast, no seasoning, no bones.

It's very bland and shouldn't bother her stomach too much. If she likes it, just feed her a few morsels, don't let her wolf a bunch of it down.

Feed a few morsels, wait 15 minutes, give her a few more, etc.

The idea is for her to keep the food down so she gets some nurishment prior to you getting her to the Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone.

I know she's been tested for everything and is up to date on all her shots, so that's good.

She's in the process of using her litterbox as I type, so that's another good sign. Overall, her demeanor seems to have improved. She's moving around more and purring a little bit and giving me head butts (I love that) and all that, but she's still hesitant to eat anything. She will drink though, so that's good.

I'll cook up some chicken tonight -- good call on that. That's actually her favorite food to eat.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

So, last night I got Sophia to eat about six or so bites of chicken (hand fed, I made about half a chicken breast and broke it up into small bites for her) which was great. Also got a little more water in her and she slept soundly again.

Woke up today and she seemed pretty good overall, but maybe still a little under the weather.

Took her to the vet and he said everything looked and sounded good -- heart, lungs, ears, eyes, teeth, mouth and her activity level seemed healthy.

He did say however that she did have a fever. I forgot what exactly her temp. was but he said it'd be the equivelent of a human having a 100 to 101 degree temp. Nothing you'd probably go straight to the ER over, but you'd definitely be feeling.

So, he gave her two shots (antibiotics, I presume) and we made our way home. Once we got there however, that's when things got great -- she made a bee line to her little plate of chicken that I put on the ground for her and she dug right in!! SO good to see. Her appetite definitely seems to be back and she's giving me head butts and acting normal for the most part, thank goodness.

The doctor said he'd recommend starting with these shots and then, if she doesn't improve, doing blood work if necessary. Said that given her age, and healthy vitals and all that, we could cross that road only if we need to.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news! I'd be willing to bet that one of the shots your girl got was a
B-12 shot.
Stimulates their mood and appetite.

bengaldude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Great news! I'd be willing to bet that one of the shots your girl got was a
B-12 shot.
Stimulates their mood and appetite.
Ya, I'm guessing that, too.

She's been bouncing off the walls ever since I got home from work.. goodness! She still hasn't touched her dry food yet, but she ate a good bit of chicken today, and she's a pretty skinny kitty as is, so I'm not worried about it.