Sick kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unluckyblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your kitty babies are well! What are the antibiotics for?
I got to bring Squeaky in tonight, thankfully. The vet got a sample but evidently didn't empty her bladder. When we got her home, she looked at her litterbox with the little bit of plastic litter they gave us, and walked away. I emptied the plastic litter out and replaced it with the usual stuff, and she immediately went in and further emptied her bladder. We will get the urinalysis results tomorrow morning.
Give my love and hugs to Shenandoah and Humble

unluckyblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. the vet said there are red blood cells in her urine, and we should come in and see him on monday...

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they done an ultrasound or abdominal x-ray?

Zoe's cystitis was diagnosed by all three test, the complete UA, with urine culture, Abdominal ultrasound ( which showed her very thickend bladder wall) and abdonimal x-ray.

The really interesting thing about the abdominal x-ray, was that it showed crystals in her bladder even though she didn't have any in her urine. Only blood and actual tissue, like sheets of epithelial cells, in her uine.
She also had a mass that we could feel in her abdomen, but couldn't visualize.

She had exploratory surgery to see what the mass was when they did the surgery to remove the crystals from her bladder. It turns our she has free fat in her abdomen ( vet said it was really gross and she had never seen anything like it before), Anyway this fat was like a long rope that had wrapped aroun her ureter and the bottom of her bladder making a "cup" that never emptied of urine. This cup then had crystals that formed in it that continually scrapped her bladder lining.

After clearning that up she did very well for about a year and a half, they she got the worst bladder infection I have ever seen. She was on 3 different antibiotics for 6 weeks. She is now on Cosequin, which really seems to be helping. For some reason this seems to help the mucus lining of the bladder and reduce inflammation and irritation.

Having blood in Squeaky's urine gives a very good reason for this to be a physical problem and not related to her neurological accident.

Keeping my fingers crossed that more answers are forth coming, but is sound like you are finally closing in on a cause

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Have they done an ultrasound or abdominal x-ray?

Zoe's cystitis was diagnosed by all three test, the complete UA, with urine culture, Abdominal ultrasound ( which showed her very thickend bladder wall) and abdonimal x-ray.

The really interesting thing about the abdominal x-ray, was that it showed crystals in her bladder even though she didn't have any in her urine. Only blood and actual tissue, like sheets of epithelial cells, in her uine.
She also had a mass that we could feel in her abdomen, but couldn't visualize.
kittymonsters -
Because cost consideration is a very practical reality for Squeaky, from your experience and knowledge base, would abdominal x-ray be the the best reasonable place to start? If that were to show crystals/stones in the bladder.....

(anyone else, feel free to postulate)

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you're getting to the cause of the problem! Let us know what the vet says on Monday. I'm glad your dad is being good about taking her.

unluckyblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, Squeaky hasn't had an x-ray or an ultrasound, but both vets said an x-ray would be pointless. I would like an x-ray, but I won't push for it right now, I will only have one done as a very last resort. The one vet did mention ultrasound (for the main issue of recurring vomiting and diarrhea), I will need to find out how much that would be. As Blaise said, cost is a bit of an issue! I will see tomorrow what the vet thinks should happen next, and will find out how much an ultrasound would be if he thinks it's the right way to go.
I don't feel as though we're getting to the cause of the problem, because it doesn't seem like cystitis could cause the vomiting and diarrhea, or am I wrong? I'll talk to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm glad it's been a week and my dad is still giving us time! There's still a bit of hope, I think.
Thank you for sharing Zoe's story, Kittymonsters. You have given me some things to think about. I will update tomorrow!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is liver disease she could be having trouble converting ammonia into urea for elimination.

If she cannot convert the ammonia it would cause her to be disoriented and very ill. Can you tell whether her skin color under her fur is yellow-ish?

Even if it is not, she could still be having these symptoms.

As your kitty's mom, you are her advocate. It sounds like this is very hard on you. You will need all your courage to push for her health. I think you should ask your sister if she can help you to get the kitty seen by the Humane Society and get the testing and ultrasound for reduced fees. Or call them yourself and really lay it on the line about how much she is suffering. You may need to turn her over to them for them to be able to treat her. But this may be the best thing if it will bring her back into good health.

It does sound as if she is suffering quite a bit and just barely getting by. My thoughts are with you.

unluckyblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think she has any discolouration, and she has been inspected by the vet so I'm sure it's something he would have seen. I have been worried about a liver problem, since the vet said the heightened biliruben could be a sign of liver disease, then when he told us there was a high number of red blood cells in her urine and I looked it up, I found that that is ALSO a sign of liver disease.
I've been running low on courage the past few days, friday was the worst, but since squeaky appears to be feeling better this weekend, I'm getting a hold of myself again.
Giving up Squeaky to the humane society is not an option, because my sister believes that Squeaky should be euthanized, and since she works in their clinic then that's what's going to happen. I would rather not let Squeaky into her hands!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This soudns like great advice!

****hugs*** to Squeaky and to UnluckyBlue

Originally Posted by BarbB

If it is liver disease she could be having trouble converting ammonia into urea for elimination.

If she cannot convert the ammonia it would cause her to be disoriented and very ill. Can you tell whether her skin color under her fur is yellow-ish?

Even if it is not, she could still be having these symptoms.

As your kitty's mom, you are her advocate. It sounds like this is very hard on you. You will need all your courage to push for her health. I think you should ask your sister if she can help you to get the kitty seen by the Humane Society and get the testing and ultrasound for reduced fees. Or call them yourself and really lay it on the line about how much she is suffering. You may need to turn her over to them for them to be able to treat her. But this may be the best thing if it will bring her back into good health.

It does sound as if she is suffering quite a bit and just barely getting by. My thoughts are with you.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I think the ultrasound is going to be more worth the money than the x-ray. My old vet only charged $14 for an x-ray, the new one charges $60.

I went back and found Zoe's bloodwork from when she was heartworm positive
November 20th 2000
Total Protein High 7.4 range 5.5-7.1
Biliruben total High 1.2 range 0.1-0.5

December 6, 2000
total protein High 7.6 range 5.5-7.1
Biliruben total High 2.0 range 0.1-0.5
AST (SGOT) High 57 range 6-44

Now the old, cheap vet would charge $15 for an ultrasound study. However, I would assist her. My new vet who is pretty expensive for this area charged $113.34, this was for a comprehensive examination $38, Ultrasound of the bladder and cystocentisis, $31, Urinalysis $24 and antibiotics $20.34.

My other kitty Izzy had to get a referral to the Veterinary Specialty clinic to have an ultrasound examination of her heart. This is the super high buck facility 3 hours away. That exam was $220 for a cardiopulmonary ultrasound with ECG, radiographic interpretation and consultation.

I honestly think with all that is going on, the ultrasound would be a better examination. However ask prices for both. Also ask about the cost for a heartworm test, see information in post below. This still might prove to be the most important test yet. Especially if heartworms are a problem in your area.

The liver problems could very well be causing her to vomit and have diarrhea. She wouldn't necessarily be jaundiced yet though.

Your right, it is highly unlikely the cystitis will cause the vomiting and diarrhea. It will cause the inappropriate urination though. If she is in excessive pain from it that can cause vomiting and stress alone can cause diarrhea.

Another differential diagnosis is bile duct or gall bladder problems, which would also cause the biliruben levels to elevate, vomiting and diarrhea. This wouldn't cause the inappropriate urination though.

I went to the Cornell Consultant website and put in Vomiting, Diarrhea, fecal incontinance and coughing in the symptoms. there were six possible diagnosisisn

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultan...-DL41-DLG1-R70

If you go to the above link, you should be able to click on each diagnosis and it will give more signs and symptoms. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow bloodwork input. If any of them look familiar, then do a google search to see if you can find more information.

I am hoping that things keep moving forward, and you get some answers. I know how hard it is. Can you ask your vet if he accepts Care Credit? It might be something to help with the payments now. It is sort of like a veterinary emergency credit loan. You would have to pay it back with interest, but it wouldn't be a big chunk all at once .

If she gets too ill, unfortunately euthanasia may be the only recourse to end her suffering. I am hoping you don't have to go that route though.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the information from Cornell Consultant on Heartworm disease in Cats
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultan...-DL41-DLG1-R70
HEARTWORM, DIROFILARIA IN DOGS AND CATS, ANGIOSTRONGYLUS IN DOGS- ZOONOSIS
\t
Description: \tDIROFILARIA IMMITIS is the common canine heartworm in North America but ANGIOSTRONGYLUS VASORUM affects domestic dogs in many parts of the world. Spread by mosquitoes. Heartworm in cats presents with clinical signs such as coughing or dyspnea that can be acute or chronic. Adult heartworms live in the pulmonary arteries and right heart causing signs of pulmonary artery disease and right heart failure. Can also cause syndromes of liver disease and hemoglobinuria, renal disease and proteinuria, allergic pneumonitis and eosinophilia. Occult dirofilariasis may account for 10-67% of all canine infections. Aberrant nematode migrations can occur to other parts of the body. Microfilaria can be seen in dogs under 6 months old due to transplacental migration. Skin disease associated with heartworm infection has been described.

Signs: \tAbnormal hindlimb reflexes, Abnormal lung or pleural sounds, Abnormal proprioceptive positioning, Alopecia, Anorexia, Ascites, Ataxia, Back pain, Blindness, Circling, Cold skin, Coma, Coughing, Cyanosis, Dehydration, Diarrhea, Dryness of skin or hair, Dullness, Dysmetria, Dyspnea, Excessive salivation, Exercise intolerance, Fever, Forefoot swelling, Forelimb swelling, Gagging, Gallop rhythm, Generalized lameness or stiffness, Generalized weakness, Head tilt, Head, face, ears, jaw, nose, nasal, swelling, Heart murmur, Hematuria, Hemoglobinuria or myoglobinuria, Hemoptysis coughing up blood, Hemorrhage of any body part or clotting failure, Hepatosplenomegaly, Hindfoot swelling, Hindlimb hypoesthesia, Hindlimb lameness, Hindlimb swelling, Icterus, Inability to stand, Increased respiratory rate, Internal abdominal mass, Jugular pulse, Moist skin, hair or feathers, Muffled, decreased, heart sounds, Mydriasis, Neck swelling, Pain on external abdominal pressure, Pale, Paraparesis, Parasite visible, exterior or interior eye, Peripheral venous distention, Petechiae or ecchymoses, Proteinuria, Pruritus, Red or brown urine, Rough hair coat, Seizures or syncope, Skin crusts, Skin edema, Skin erythema, Skin fistula, Skin necrosis, Skin pain, Skin papules, Skin ulcer, Sudden death, Swelling skin or subcutaneous, Swelling, mass external abdomen, Tachycardia, Thoracic swelling, Underweight, poor condition, thin, emaciated, unthriftiness, ill thrift, Ventricular tachycardia, Vomiting or regurgitation, Weak pulse, Weight loss