Sick kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most often a soft tissue or cotton dipped in lukewarm water.

To be honest, we're not able to feed them at regular intervals due to work. I usually get home around 11 in the evening and i feed them and again at 1am and 3am then I go to sleep. My girlfriend arrives gets home at around 9 am and she feeds them and again at around 11am and 1pm. If she's still awake or gets woken up, she'll feed them at 3pm.

There's around a 4-5 hour gap everyday where we're not able to feed regularly them as we need to sleep. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The good thing this is the other kitten seems fine. Her shape is more rounded around the belly and always makes noise when she get's hungry.
I understand this other kitten does take bottle without problems?  Excellent - its easier with bottle, especially when they got bigger and need more.  Just burp them afterwards.

Lets hope then.  There is almost always a survivor even in desperate circumstances.  Someone a little more sturdy, someone with more luck, someone with a little better gene combination.  Darwin, no?

But if they are weak or bad sucklers, its often easier for them with a syringe.

anima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I understand this other kitten does take bottle without problems?  Excellent - its easier with bottle, especially when they got bigger and need more.  Just burp them afterwards.

Lets hope then.  There is almost always a survivor even in desperate circumstances.  Someone a little more sturdy, someone with more luck, someone with a little better gene combination.  Darwin, no?

But if they are weak or bad sucklers, its often easier for them with a syringe.
Yes this one has no problems at all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Most often a soft tissue or cotton dipped in lukewarm water.

To be honest, we're not able to feed them at regular intervals due to work. I usually get home around 11 in the evening and i feed them and again at 1am and 3am then I go to sleep. My girlfriend arrives gets home at around 9 am and she feeds them and again at around 11am and 1pm. If she's still awake or gets woken up, she'll feed them at 3pm.

There's around a 4-5 hour gap everyday where we're not able to feed regularly them as we need to sleep. 
That is not entirely optimal. But in the nature momma has it almost never optimal, and must leave them often several hours at a time - sometimes even longer, to find food or hunt. So dont have bad conscience.

You do what you can, and as good you can.  More than this, you cant do.

Just be sure he get the 24 totale the same.  ie more in fever feedings, as you cant give smaller portions every 2 hours sharp.   The totale shall be the same, not less because you couldnt feed in the "pause".

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much does the kitten weigh? How much does the kitten eat at each feeding?

Last edited:

anima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much does the kitten weigh? How much does the kitten eat at each feeding?
I don't have a reliable weighing scale but the one still alive definitely put on a lot of weight than when we found them. I think she takes at least 3-4 ml when we feed her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. A 2-week-old kitten should weigh around 8 ounces. Being an orphan she may be a bit less.

So, say she weighs between 6-8 ounces, she should be eating between 48 and 64 mLs of formula in each 24-hour period.

This would mean she needs 6-8 mLs of formula at each feeding, assuming there are about 8 feedings per day between the two of you.

Do try to get this much into her. The amount increases as she grows. [emoji]128522[/emoji]