Sick Kitten With A Low Temp

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Last weekend I took in a new kitten from a feral haven. He is 6-7 weeks old, and less than 1lb. Percy was an active kitten on Saturday and Sunday he had diarrhea but was still pretty normal, I wasn't surprised with the change in environment that he would have issues. I took him and had him de-wormed because of past experience, unfortunately he was too small to test for FIV or Feline Leukemia. On Monday his diarrhea was white and he was acting tired and not wanting to eat so I took him to the vet. Unsurprisingly he was full of parasite which was already treated with wormed and he showed no signs of coccidia.
Percy got probiotics and antibiotic, this morning he was lethargic so off to the vet we went again. He got a shot of warm fluids because his temp was down to 97, and the vet gave me formula to feed him, and instructions on how to warm him up.
He's still not eating on his own but I have been able to give him some formula with chicken, and his poo is now green instead of white though still watery. He is on a heating pad and I've been checking his temp often and it is staying about where it was despite my efforts.
Does anyone have any idea's what could be going on with him? or how I could help him?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Percy's hydration? As long as he has runny stools, I would give him electrolyte replacement such as unflavored Pedialyte diluted 50/50 with filtered, bottled or good well water. You can also add boiled white rice water to his formula to gently help form up his stools. I would also put his bed & heat pad inside of a carrier and cover it with a towel (like an incubator). To give him comfort and help stay warm, place with him a stuffed toy or a rolled up towel (I add a ticking watch or small travel clock, to simulate a heartbeat). And I would try rubbing some white karo syrup or honey on his gums - this will give him extra calories that are easy to absorb.
Also, be sure to administer probiotics at least 2 hours apart from the antibiotics. Otherwise, the antibiotics will kill off the beneficial probiotics.
Sending mega prayers and vibes for Percy's rapid healing and a swift return to being a lively, healthy, playful kitten! :happycat:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parasites can do a number on young kittens. And they often need several treatments with a broad spectrum medication to get better. One of my rescue kittens had a bad case, we treated him for a few months with several medications, and could not get him cleared up. Our vet finally had to revert to Ivermectin shots, every 7 days for 3 weeks. It worked. So keep taking him in until he has had 2 clear tests for parasites.

Also coccidia and or Giardia often test negative, but can still be present. If a kitten has diarrhea my vet will normally treat for them, even with a negative test.

Best of luck with the little guy, hopefully he is all better soon! Do keep us updated on him. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His temp is still being stubborn, but I have put him in a covered carrier with the heating pad. This morning after I fed him which at least he has the energy to tell me he doesn't like, he spent a little time wrapped up in a towel fresh from the dryer. For his next feeding, I'll make sure I have some Pedialyte to add to his formula. I'm hoping he starts eating on his own today because I go back to work tomorrow and that will be a minimum of 9 hours without a feeding.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Percy's had a tough day. His temp has held steady but he's pretty weak. I have been rubbing Karo syrup on his gums and mixed Pedialyte with his formula. He doesn't eat as much as I would like after a while he stops swallowing. I'm hoping he makes it because he's stubborn but it's a lot for a little guy to go through.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes: I am continuing to send healing prayers and vibes for little Percy. Does your vet think that tube feeding might help? Poor little guy - I sure wish that we knew what is going on with him.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I went to bed around midnight after one last feeding Percy could barely stand and I had to hold him up in order for him to use the bathroom. I truly didn't expect him to be with us this morning, but 5 am rolls around and Percy has escaped his box and is at the door yelling at me. He still won't eat on his own but he has a lot more energy I have to leave in a few but he has food, Pedialyte, and water out and several different heated options since he's decided to escape. I know he's not out of the woods but it's good to see some of his attitudes back.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got home this afternoon Percy was a little more lethargic but he felt good enough to try to hide in the corner when he saw me. I was able to get a little more of everything into him. After we were done I sat there petting him and scratching his chin (even at 7 weeks old that's his spot) and he started purring. After a while, I tried hand feeding him some baby food, and he ate it! He hasn't voluntarily eaten food in a couple day and he was cleaning my finger and going for more :) I know this is a small thing but its good to see him start to live again. Hopefully he continues to go up. I have his room between 78 and 85 and he has several heating pads and a heated throw in the room so hopefully, that will be enough to keep him warm. Here's a couple pictures of him, one before he got so sick and the other this morning when he raided the dog toys.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cute little boy. I so hope he continues to improve, and that all the bad is behind him! :heartshape:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Gerber turkey or chicken baby food is excellent for him! Hope he continues to improve!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Gerber turkey or chicken baby food is excellent for him! Hope he continues to improve!
:agree::agree::agree: That is my go-to food for sick kitties!!
Percy is gorgeous!! And quite a set of ears and those paws - they are huge :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: I am sure that all the cuddling and affection is very healing and soothing for him. Percy is quite the little fighter - he reminds me of Atlas the Blind Kitty of Facebook's My Friendly Ferals fame.
Sleep well and grow strong, precious kitten - we are all rooting for you! :grouphug::vibes:

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had another good morning, he still prefers to eat his food off my finger but he is voluntarily eating! Last night we sat outside for a long while so I could really clean him and he wouldn't get cold (it's almost 100 here). He seemed to enjoy it and kept trying to climb in my hair, but would calm down when I found the right spot to scratch.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed him as much as he wants as often as he wants. :)
Definitely!! Small, frequent meals are the way to go. And I would think that adding a little extra 50/50 pedialyte to his food is a great way to keep him hydrated and electrolytes balanced. Grooming him with a cheap plastic comb will help keep his lymph system moving as well. I hold my thumb perpendicular to the teeth so that I can adjust the tooth depth ,& I use soft, short strokes to mimic the locks of a mama kitty. I even groom the face & ever so gently over the eyelids - they especially love the forehead and crown getting groomed.
Thank you for the update - it is the first alert that I check!:vibes::cheerleader::catlove::lovecat:

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday when I got home I noticed he had drunk most of the water/Pedialyte! I gave him his baby food and he ate it on his own. While I was gone at work I had left a bit of a buffet out for him so he could eat what he liked, some water softened hard food and plain hard food. When I left him alone to eat and came back he had abandoned the baby food and started eating the hard food :). Overnight he had eaten more and drank a lot of the water Pedialyte mixture. He is still not 100% because he lost weight he couldn't afford to lose but he is acting so much better. Meows for me at the door, and has started playing a little. Last night when I took him outside to sit I put him on the grass to see how he reacted and he shot off, I didn't think he had that much energy. :D He has started to really groom himself again he purrs so much.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how well he is doing compared to a few days ago. Today I went to check on him and he had disappeared. So I start to take the room apart to look for him. Turns out he's feeling good enough to climb the bed and hide between the pillows. His favorite spot right now is looking out the window. ( Sorry about the food on his face it was after he ate.)

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bravo, Percy!!! He is surely made of tough stuff:soldier: You are doing a terrific job!! :clapcat:

Thank you for being so open-minded and proactive - our collective advice comes across the spectrum from collegiate research to trial & error by feral-cat rescuers (the cats are feral, not the rescuers :flail:) who are dealing with truly desperate kitten cases while lacking resources, veterinary assistance and knowledge yet manage to bring tinies back from the brink. We take our small victories from day to day, hour to hour and even by minutes & seconds. And to see our advice in action helping others is the best reward that we can have :grouphug2:
His action of climbing between the pillows indicates Percy's need for more physical contact with you. He & all kittens are born into litters and thrive on lots of cuddling and touching. Grooming and stroking and snuggling on your lap or against your side will help warm him up, too. I know it is probably hot for you to hold him, but what works for me in the summer is to put a chilled gel pack on my lap, top it with 2 folded towels and put the kitten in a burrito and top it all with a baby blanket.
Please give Percy ear and face scritches for me.....by the way - those ears:thud:- I have not seen such incredibly large, cute ears except for the Maine Coon Cat Lovers FaceBook group. :loveeyes: :loveeyes: Percy is such a unique coloring and such precious bright eyes!
Please keep the updates coming and I am continuing to lift my prayers and send vibes
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Percy has been doing great! Today he's being a real little spitfire :D I can't wait until I'm given the all clear to introduce him to everyone else. He has a checkup on Thursday and I'll give you guys an update then.