Sick Kitten Found

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, looks like someone tossed a sick kitten over our fence. It's eyes are goopy, and it's a little cold, but otherwise looks okay. Any suggestions?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get the kitten to the vet?

In the meantime, you can wipe off excess eye goop with a warm, damp towel (this could be from feline herpes, you only need to remove the eye goop if it seems like it's hurting the kitten's ability to blink or keep its eyes open), and wrap the kitten in a blanket to warm it up. If the kitten won't drink water by itself, you can syringe feed pedialyte to help prevent dehydration. Whether you need to supplement with KMR and what kind of food to give depends on the kitten's age, so if you post pics, someone will probably be able to give you more age-appropriate nutrition advice.

Thanks for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Vet is not an option, so we're on our own. :( It's warmer now, so we had a better look and weighed it. Current weight is 360 grams, it's feels thin, has flea dirt, gums are pink.

Edited to add:
Currently sitting with DH and grooming herself. :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Defleasing necessary either by brushing or bath with dawn soap. Do you have access to goats milk? Otherwise spme kmr - this by PetAg in powder is best. About 100 ml a day.
Be sure kitten is warm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight indicates the kitten is only about 3 weeks old, but it could just be malnourished.

Can you post a picture please?

Does the kitten have baby teeth? Will it eat soft wet food?

You'll definitely need kitten formula or goat's milk. No cow's milk - cats are lactose intolerant and cannot digest it.

Please update.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Defleasing necessary either by brushing or bath with dawn soap. Do you have access to goats milk? Otherwise spme kmr - this by PetAg in powder is best. About 100 ml a day.
Be sure kitten is warm.
Thanks! No goats milk easily available, but can get some KMR.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The weight indicates the kitten is only about 3 weeks old, but it could just be malnourished.
I think it is malnourished.
Can you post a picture please?
Will get one soon!

Does the kitten have baby teeth? Will it eat soft wet food?
She has incisors, canines, and some molars. Offered some watered down Gerber baby food and she lapped that up, then used the litter box.

You'll definitely need kitten formula or goat's milk. No cow's milk - cats are lactose intolerant and cannot digest it.
Fear not, no cows milk, will get KMR.

Please update.
Will do!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just a tip- Gerber's baby food meat meals are very good for kittens, just be sure it doesn't contain any onions or garlic.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Gerber baby food is an excellent and easily digestible source of protein for now. You can give it without water added. I weaned my kittens with it. :)

ETA: Gerber meat only baby food does not contain onions or garlic.

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a tip- Gerber's baby food meat meals are very good for kittens, just be sure it doesn't contain any onions or garlic.
It's just chicken. Don't worry, I know all about *not* feeding onions and garlic to animals! Kind of a pet peeve of mine... lots of poultry people think it's good for their birds.
he.gif
somad.gif

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Gerber baby food is an excellent and easily digestible source of protein for now. You can give it without water added. I weaned my kittens with it. :)
I figured it might be better that the canned food. :D

Since I know very little about kittens I decided to google kitten teeth, and what I read makes me think she is at least 4 weeks. I this a good assumption?

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this accurate?
  • Under one week- Eyes shut, ears flat to head, skin looks pinkish. Part of umbilical cord may still be attached. Weight < 4oz.
  • 1 week-10 days- Eyes beginning to open, ears still flat. A kitten this age is smaller than your hand. 4 to 6oz weight.
  • 2 weeks- Eyes open bright blue color, kittens will crawl a bit on their tummies, and basically just sleep and nurse. No teeth yet. 6 to 8oz. weight.
  • 3 weeks- Eyes are fully open, ears are erect, teeth are becoming visible, may just be begining to come through the gums Kittens this age are just starting to walk and will be very wobbly. 8 to 12 oz weight.
  • 4-5 weeks- Kittens have begun to pounce and leap. Kittens this age will begin to eat regular cat food, and will begin to use a litter box. They are still quite small at this age. they will weigh anywhere from 1/2 lb to 1 lb.
  • 6-7 weeks- Kittens are quite active and weigh about 1 pound to 1 an 1/2 pounds Their eye color, changes from blue to its permanent color. May still be friendly and approach people. Very playful at this stage.
  • 8 weeks- Kittens this age weigh approximately 1 and 1/2 pounds to 2 pounds. If they have not been exposed to humans, they will likely be feral and unapproachable.
Source: http://members.petfinder.com/~PA16/kittenage.html

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, about a pound and a half. If she has lots of teeth she's at least 5 weeks. A four-week-old should weigh a pound.

She should gain weight quickly now that she's being cared for. :)

Let her eat as much and as often as she wants!

Last edited: