Sick Feral

Frankielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just learned how to TNR because no one wanted to be bothered coming out to my neighborhood. Everyone tells me I am out of their jurisdiction and I'm only 1/2 an hr away. I think this is horrible, but so far I have trapped 4 ferals. We have a large colony in my neighbor's yard but she won't let me trap there so I'm trapping them when they come in my yard. I have food and shelter for them. There is a sick cat, KitKat, that has been with me for 4 years. He will not go in the trap, barely eats, is skin and bone. No one will come to try and help me capture him to get him help. I have tried all the organizations on line and no one wants to be bothered. I think they only want cats that are adoptable to make a profit. I'm just so upset with being ignored. I am willing to pay someone to help me so I don't understand what the problem is. I am in Somers, NY. Thank you for any help.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry I don’t have any suggestions but there several people here that give very good advice and I’m sure they will respond.
I just had to say thats terrible you can’t get any organization to help you....thought they were suppose to be there to help these poor animals but I guess everything is money, money, money.
are you able to pet him? It may sound stupid but have you tried calling a vet, possibly they could point you in the direction of getting help.
My prayers to you and KitKat, I hope you can get him help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Frankielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Babypaws, I'm not sure how this works with responding so forgive me if this is a repeat. I tell these organizations that I am willing to pay for help but no response. I volunteer at a thrift store for a cat shelter and they won't even help me. Not in their zip code. But odd how I can travel 1 hr round trip to volunteer for them. I have been talking to the vet tech about helping me. She is willing but so busy she can only come during lunch if she gets a break and now it is dark by the time she leaves work. Only 1/2 mile away but she lives 1 hr away and they are not opened on the weekends. No, can't pet him. I actually did once and he scratched me good. He will sit and watch me and the other cats. He used to love to eat but not now. Some people say just let nature takes its course but if I can help him, I would. Do you know how I would find out if someone is in my area to help. Thanks for responding and caring. Be safe, stay well

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all - I’m glad you’re here. So many here have been in so many situations we’re bound to find several who have been in your shoes & can suggest from experience. I’ve got some suggestions but can barely keep my eyes open & typing on my phone bs my keyboard is tough. PROMISE first moment at my keyboard this morning I’ll write more - hopefully help! You’re a good person w/a good heart - we’ll do our best to help you & KitKat! :hearthrob::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Frankielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope so, thank you for caring. :cutecat:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have worked dog and cat rescue and about 50% of the time it is this way, so don't feel that it is anything about you. As for the poor cat, since you are willing to pay, are there any local animal trappers or even exterminating companies who might work with you? What I mean by this is that there are companies who will do animal trapping with the understanding that if it is a cat they will return it to the person who requested the trapping or will take it to a place indicated such as a vet's office or shelter. Basically, you are paying them for doing the legwork and then releasing the animal into your custody one way or another. They do exist out here, but I don't know about your area.

You are very kind to have taken all of this on by yourself in order to help the cats.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Fiona’sMom.

I work in rescue, and this is very common.

Sometimes it has to do with subsidies from the city limiting their jurisdiction, sometines it’s an attempt to narrow the organization’s focus so that they can make a greater impact in a specific area, sometimes they just don’t have any volunteers in your area, and every once in a while it’s an agreement between rescues as to whose “territory” is whose (though usually they would refer you to the other rescue were that the case).

It isn’t about you. There is no “profit” for a nonprofit, there is no “money money money” involved whatsoever. It’s the exact opposite of that, frankly.

Adoptable cats are prioritized because that’s the system that saves the most lives overall. Adoption fees don’t even come close to recouping the costs of intaking a single healthy animal (and far less so a sick or injured one!), let alone turning into actual profit.

What kind of organizations are you contacting exactly?

That could be the other issue here - because many typical rescues only/primarily deal with adoptable cats, they don’t actually have experience with trapping, since there is no need for the sorts of cats they take in. So it may just be that they simply aren’t qualified to help, don’t have the necessary equipment, etc

The only “sure” bets for that when it comes to being qualified to help, are TNR organizations or community cat specific rescues, like the Feral Cat Coalition. But even organizations like that could be too overwhelmed or not have enough trappers available to help right now.

I personally can never get help from rescues, ironically enough. So I completely understand your frustration and sense of helplessness, especially when you are even willing to pay (been there too)!

I’ve had infinitely more luck getting help from individual rescuers, but they can be difficult to track down.

You can start by finding local (and localish) TNR or community cat organizations, as well as low cost spay/neuter clinics.

Contact them, briefly explain your situation, and ask if they know of any local trappers they might be able to put you in touch with for help.

You can broaden that search to any and all rescues and shelters near you. But this time, don’t ask them directly for help like before - ask them if they know if any local trappers or colony caretakers they can refer you to.

I will never figure out why on earth rescues rarely volunteer information like that when someone like you calls who they can’t help, but often times, if you specifically phrase the question in such a way that you are not asking the rescue itself for help, but simply requesting additional resources or contacts, they’ll be able to point you in someone’s direction.

So try going about it that way.

Then check Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends network - Feral Friends Network® Connect

Next, go to Facebook and search for local private groups (not pages). Type in your location and then keywords like “rescue,” “stray,” “feral,” community cats,” “TNR,” “trap neuter release/return,” “cats,” “pets,” etc and see what comes up.

If there’s nothing local to you, then join the general Facebook groups for cat rescue, TNR, ferals/community cats, etc, and make a post asking for help in your general location.

Luckily NY state has one of the most robust rescue communities in the country, so you have a pretty good chance of finding someone who can help even in a non-localized group.

You might even post to the SOS subforum on here too asking if anyone is near you. I know at least a few users here live up there.

As far as what you can try directly to catch kitty -

He feels crummy, but how active is he? Would he possibly fall for a laser toy into the trap? Or any toy? What about a string if he saw it moving toward the back of the trap? What about catnip?

If it’s cold enough in NY right now, you could try to take away/block shelters (if there are any) when you see him around.

Then make the trap look extra cozy, dark, and warm. Throw a dark colored, thick blanket over it. Place a heating pad under it, or just a hot water bottle wrapped in a sock, or a sock filled with warm rice, and place it at the back of the trap.

Don’t place the trap out in the open, do what you can to make it blend in with the environment. Under or next to a bush, right under a tree, alongside a fence or the back of a building, etc.

You can also try to further camouflage it by placing leaves and branches on the outside over the blanket (which is over the trap), then also cover the bottom of the trap with lots of leaves, some dirt, and a stick of two.

The goal is to make him think he’s really lucked out by finding a warm and safely concealed shelter out in nature.

Do you have, or do you have access to a medium sized wire dog crate? What about a plastic pet carrier?

Sometimes cats that are unwilling to go into a trap will instead go into these.

Like FionasMom said, you can try contacting an actual wildlife trapping/removal company. In my experience, they’re not going to be so good at figuring out how to trap in a tricky situation like this (at least not with a humans trap..,), but it is always worth a try if that’s within your budget!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
F Frankielee —- I wasn’t ignoring you - just more than a little under the weather. But was thinking about you tonight - and see that you haven’t updated in a bit. Hope you’re ok - and that you were able to help the kitty you were so worried about. :crossfingers:

You got some great advice/info from moxiewild moxiewild - I’ve also worked (and volunteered)in shelters for years. Please know that 99.99999% of the time it’s not a “personal thing” when a rescue can’t help you, can’t send someone out, can’t take your kitty in, etc. I know sometimes it feels that way, but it’s rarely the case. Every shelter I’ve ever been involved with has wished desperately they could help every cat/kitten/caretaker that asks for help. I’ve been the person answering the phone at a shelter, and it’s absolutely gut-wrenching. Every decision you make could mean saving a kitty’s life or, more often, dooming it. And you also know your decision not only affects the kitty —- it’s upsetting someone like you, who’s desperately trying to do good. Unfortunately, most shelters lack the space, manpower & finances to help every kitty they’re called about. And it definitely isn’t about profit — most shelters spend far more on a cat/kitten then they ever make back in adoption fee. Adoption fees are often anywhere from $25 - $125....but most shelters I’ve been involved with spend a bare minimum of $200 on a kitty (assuming it’s generally healthy), & often far more. Hopefully that gives you a peek into why shelters- far more often then they want to - have to say no.

But the good news is that there’s no limit on the number of shelters/clinics you can call! And as moxiewild moxiewild pointed out — social media is a fantastic way to search for organizations you can ask for help from. Obviously this site’s the best place to start :) ....... and Alley Cat Allies - esp their Feral Friends Network - is a great resource for help in your specific area. And do reach out through your own social network (& any neighborhood Facebook pages - you might be amazed to find you’ve got neighbors who’ve got trapping experience & are willing to help!!!).

PLEASE keep us updated!!!!! I’m sending good vibes your way!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Frankielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for reaching out. Hope you are feeling better. This weather is so crazy, first summer like and then freezing. The sad thing is I volunteer for a pet rescue thrift store and they won't even help me! My KitKat is still alive and sleeping in his shelter. When he gets out of it, around 6, I put in a new heat disc. Sometimes he just waits for me to finish. I don't know if he is eating somewhere else, but he is so slow moving, I can't imagine he is. I did see him eat the other night. I've exhausted all the places that are local. One place said a volunteer was going to call and that was 3 weeks ago. It just makes me too upset. I understand they are probably overwhelmed but call back and maybe some hope would help or advice. I have 7 cats I need to trap. It is very discouraging now. I was getting them every time, but now with the weather change and time change, it has thrown everything off. I'm nervous about trapping the day before surgery and having to keep the cat in the trap overnight if I don't catch it by 5 when the vet closes. Feel bad for it but the vet tech said it would be alright, just put sheet over it. The garage is heated so that is good. You stay well and be safe and I'll let you know what is happening. I hope all is well with you and yours. :angelcat:

Frankielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have worked dog and cat rescue and about 50% of the time it is this way, so don't feel that it is anything about you. As for the poor cat, since you are willing to pay, are there any local animal trappers or even exterminating companies who might work with you? What I mean by this is that there are companies who will do animal trapping with the understanding that if it is a cat they will return it to the person who requested the trapping or will take it to a place indicated such as a vet's office or shelter. Basically, you are paying them for doing the legwork and then releasing the animal into your custody one way or another. They do exist out here, but I don't know about your area.

You are very kind to have taken all of this on by yourself in order to help the cats.
Hi Fionasmom,
Ironically, I volunteer for a cat rescue thrift store and they won't even help me. I'm not in their district. That is what ticks me off. These people KNOW me! I don't mean to complain so much but it is so frustrating. KitKat is still alive. He is too smart. Even when he was healthy he didn't fall for any tricks. I've contacted all that are local, and asked them if they knew anyone. They tell me to call another person, they say they will have a volunteer contact me and it never happens. I also have racoons coming by so if I have an open cage, they will walk right in. I have the shelter for KitKat up on a crate and the hole is too small for a coon to go in. He feels safe there and I also have 3 other shelters off the ground and he goes into them too. It's a delicate situation to try and trap him in his shelter, but know it isn't anything I can do on my own. I guess you are right, even tempting these places with money isn't getting me anywhere. And I know all the medical costs and care these rescued cats costs doesn't make up for the adoption fees. But we do have some very generous people who come into the shop and leave food and donations. I'll just do the best I can with the trapping of the other ferals, no luck today. They used to come over in the morning but something is off. They come mostly at night and it gets dark so early. At least KitKat has a nice warm place and he feels secure with me. Heaven forbit he should let me touch him, and after 4 years you think he would. Cats are not like dogs. When a dog is sick, he wants to be with you, a feral cat, too independent. I think that is why I love them. Don't ask for anything, but don't expect anything from them. I do have one I fixed come up to the door, Sparky. He waits for me but as soon as he sees me He runs down the stairs and then stops and turns around to see what I'm doing. They are remarkable creatures. Thanks for your input, stay well, be safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I personally think that if you help a rescue they should return the favor by doing something to help you, so I understand your frustration with getting nothing from these people. Yes, rescues have a lot of irresponsible people who want to give up animals or expect the work to be done for them and they have to filter through all that, but you have some street creds.

As for leaving a cat in a trap with a sheet over night...that is standard procedure if it has to be done. It is upsetting for us to think about their distress, but the greater good is that they need to be fixed. My Chelsea, who is 10 or so now, spent her first night in a trap after I trapped her just because a neighbor had foisted her off on me and I had no place to put her until I rearranged a little....she survived just fine. If it is cold, the heated garage is a good thing.

Cats are hard to figure...the two calicos who are former ferals and now dedicated house pets who lounge around all day between getting snacks for themselves. Their sister ( all TNRed) is still outside. She hates the sight of me, comes only for food and to sleep in her shelter. She even has a boyfriend who lets me pat him but she continues to hiss, spit, and swat as I put her food down twice a day and turn on her heating pad in the evening.