Sick Feral Cat; Need Advice, Please

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have been caring for a cat on my rural Michigan property for about 2 or 3 years now. I believe he was born outdoors and has lived outdoors his whole life. I don't believe he has ever lived inside a home with people. It has taken me years to build a relationship with him. I am happy to say that we have cultivated a very friendly relationship. His name is The Lorax, Lorrie for short. He comes when I call him and he rolls at my feet. He even knows a trick. If I say "head bump" and hold my hand out, he will come over and give my hand a bump with his head.

He is welcome to come in. I want to adopt him. He is still scared of my other family members, despite the fact that they occasionally feed him and speak gently to him. I keep welcoming him indoors and if he ever decides he wants to stay, he is welcome. For now, he usually lasts indoors for less than one minute. He gets very scared by any movement. If I move, he leaves. If I have closed the door, he claws it desperately trying to get out. I always open it for him. I don't want to make him feel like he is trapped in my house.

Anyhow, I notice this winter that his eyes are runny and so is his nose. He sneezes quite a bit, and they are wet sneezes that spray me when I am sitting next to him. When he drinks, he always makes a little choking noise with the first sip and then drinks normally with no noises.

I am really worried about him. I want to help him. I know I should take him to the vet. Money is somewhat of an issue, but it's not the main thing holding me back. I guess after years spent building his trust I am dreading trapping him and taking him to a vet. I have seen him get so terrified in my house by simple things such as a cupboard being opened, I just know he is going to panic at the vet. I am also worried that he might run away when we get back and he has a good situation here. I don't want to mess it up.

Also, I have never picked him up. Back when we were becoming friends, he would occasionally scratch me unexpectedly and draw blood. I am bit nervous about picking him up because I have been attacked by a cat before and it was a bit traumatic (my agitated cat jumped on my head, and deeply clawed my scalp and face while looking at another cat through the window. I was alone and could not get the cat to let go of my head.).

I guess I just need a pep talk. I know it's the right thing to do, but it's hard. Have you ever taken your feral turned semi-feral to the vet? How did it go?

I am also considering fish mox as a potential Plan A and the vet as Plan B.

Feedback welcome. Thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet would be the better option. Without knowing specifically what is wrong the fish mox may not even help.

That aside, the real issue is how to get him to the vet. My girl was feral and I know the slow acclimatization you are describing. My girl still goes through periods where I just stand by the door and wait quietly and unmoving for her to come inside. I can't pick her up either. She will happily pass out on my lap and demands pettings but I simply cannot pick her up or hold her. Other family members can't even pet her.

What I have to do is grab her when she is not paying attention for vet trips. Usually right as she finishes eating or when she is being pet. The trick is to do it when they aren't looking directly at you. Also wear a thick long sleeve coat or jacket with long enough sleeves that you can pull them over your hands once you have him. Most cats will have a moment of stillness once they realize they can't run and that is the moment you can get him in the carrier. The other option would be to bring out the carrier and leave it a few feet away. Over several days slowly move the carrier closer to his feeding spot. Then move his food inside the carrier and eventually close the door. But if he is actively sick you don't have time for that process. You could also see if a local group has a trap you can rent or borrow to trap him.

He may be a little skittish for a few days immediately after you take him to the vet. Most likely you will need to keep him inside for a few days for medications. He may surprise you and adapt to the sudden environment change. I know my girl is a completely different cat inside the house versus outside the house. Either way, he will eventually forgive and forget the insult of taking him to the vet. Since it will likely mean he lives longer I think its the lesser insult to scuff his pride and take him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miss_Kitty_Noir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will contact our local feral cat society. Maybe they can loan me a trap. Thank you for the encouragement and advice.