Sick Cat Help Please.

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. I need help don't know what's happening to this cat.

3 months ago he had like flu symptoms I gave him amoxicillin proper dosage for 3 days he became fine. 5 days ago he got same symptoms with high temperature couldn't find amoxicillin so I gave him 5 mg of Marbofloxacin after that the symptoms disappeared but he got into new trouble now he's so silence and lay down all the time he looks like he has some kind of pain. I took him to vet he checked his temperature then weight then she said you must do blood test because he may have virus so went to the other vet hospital to do blood test but it was late and they don't do blood test without appointment I got back to the first vet and told her what happened she said to be honest your cat looks like he has 30% of surviving! I said why again she said he looks like he got virus I said I need solution at least for now she said give him amoxicillin 50mg then hoping he becomes fine. To be honest she looked like fake vet because she didn't know what is Clarithromycin! And that hospital have bad reputation between pet owners. Anyway I gave the cat 50 mg of amoxicillin hoping he become fine.

Now I saw he's balls look weird like small and not in normal shape and he walk few steps then rest then few more steps to go to the bed or letter box he was so active so beautiful cat but I don't know what's happening to him please help. Also I'm not sure if I can take him to the expensive hospital check up and blood test cost 200$ it's expensive. What should I do?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did the vet say to only take the Amoxicillin for 3 days? I thought the usual time was for 10 days?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're in the US, you can look here for help with vet bills:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Aid for Pets

Also if you're in the US, check with your state board or registration to see if the vet is properly licensed. You can also submit a complaint with the state board or registration and with the state veterinary board if you feel the vet was negligent in your cat's care. I doubt not knowing what clarithromycin is would qualify as neglect, though.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am curious too because I have never heard of a vet putting a pet on amoxi for only 3 days? Bloodwork IMO is absolutely 100% necessary and the responsible way to go to figure out what is wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am curious too because I have never heard of a vet putting a pet on amoxi for only 3 days? Bloodwork IMO is absolutely 100% necessary and the responsible way to go to figure out what is wrong.
I called the hospital they said we are fully booked till Sunday. I don't know what to do he may not survive till Sunday .

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you're in the US, you can look here for help with vet bills:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Aid for Pets

Also if you're in the US, check with your state board or registration to see if the vet is properly licensed. You can also submit a complaint with the state board or registration and with the state veterinary board if you feel the vet was negligent in your cat's care. I doubt not knowing what clarithromycin is would qualify as neglect, though.
Not in the US . Things get worser I called that hospital which can do blood test they said we are fully booked .

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many days of the antibiotic did you do? Ask the vet, but it's usually 10 days to 2 weeks. 3 days probably wasn't enough.

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many days of the antibiotic did you do? Ask the vet, but it's usually 10 days to 2 weeks. 3 days probably wasn't enough.
What's the solutionFor now? You keep talking about the 3 days where is the solution for the present situation?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. You never answered my question. Did you give the antibiotics for only 3 days?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't give antibiotics for only 3 days - usually between 7 days to 14 days (I think for doxycycline it is 10 days) - because otherwise the infection can come back and could have gained immunity to the antibiotic that you didn't complete the full course for.

Please always treat for the full course of antibiotics (unless there is an allergic reaction, in which case call your vet), and don't treat with antibiotics that have come from sources other than a veterinary prescription. It is dangerous to do these things.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. The solution is to go back to your vet, get enough amoxicillin for 10 days. Even if the vet can't see you until Sunday, they can probably advise you over the phone. Tell them that you didn't give the antibiotic long enough. It can't work in just 3 days.

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. The solution is to go back to your vet, get enough amoxicillin for 10 days. Even if the vet can't see you until Sunday, they can probably advise you over the phone. Tell them that you didn't give the antibiotic long enough. It can't work in just 3 days.
Nearest appointment is in Sunday I'm not sure if he gonna survive

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. That wasn't long enough. Do you have any Amoxicillin left? You could call and ask your vet if it's okay to go back on it for the full 10 days. If you don't have any left, have the vet call you in a prescription today. You could go pick up the antibiotic today and get going with it for the full 10 days.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure it is a dose for your cats weight. You may have given too much. Your poor sick kitty sounds like he needs to see a vet again now, Is he eating or drinking at all? If not he needs a vet now.

White wild cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. That wasn't long enough. Do you have any Amoxicillin left? You could call and ask your vet if it's okay to go back on it for the full 10 days. If you don't have any left, have the vet call you in a prescription today. You could go pick up the antibiotic today and get going with it for the full 10 days.
I found another opened vet hospital took him there. Doctor said he might have neurological problem and we may collect fluid from he's spinal cord. Then he said first step is General blood test and and keep him here for 48 hour I said okay again they asked for 500$. I said I cannot then he said I will give him cortisone and a kind of anti biotic and let's hope he do fine but if he didn't became fine you must do blood test No another way and virus test too.

Now I'm wating hopeing that he do fine if he didn't then I have no choice I will do blood test.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it. My cats have taken antibiotics a few times and they have been fine. Was it an antibiotic shot or liquid?