Siberian cat's tail....

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope its ok for me to post this question here...
I have a Siberian kitten, 12 weeks old. He is adorable and has a little lion's mane, but his tail is not full yet and I was wondering when that fullness will happen? Some of the other kittens had slightly fuller tails than his, but I'm just curious if they actually fill out as they get older. Both of his parents have fairly bushy tails...
TIA!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siberians like Maine Coons and Ragdolls can take up to 4-5 yrs to develop fully in body and coat. So your kitty has a LONG way to go to reach a full coat. But usually around 3 yrs old you can tell pretty good as to how his coat will be.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps he will never have a show quality bushy tail, and that's why he was sold as a pet. However 12 weeks is very young, he has lots of growing and changing to do, why not ask the breeder how her kittens normally develop and when to expect a full coat.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon actually developed LESS fluff/fur on her tail as she grew up, go figure. Her tail was much fuller when she was under a year, she's turning 3 at the end of October and it is not as bushy anymore.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been breeding/showing/working with Siberians for 5 years now (no expert indeed but seen my fair share of kittens) and 12 weeks for some kittens is the fugly stage. They can get what appears to be a semi short coat, lanky build, and may not have the massive muscle structure yet. Before 4 weeks and after a year is when you really know what you are looking at in this breed. There are a few who look like mini adultsfrom kitten up and then others are slow bloomers. And because of the wide variety of foundation and unrelated lines, you can see varying characteristics of the above in a single litter. Give your kitten some time to mature. Its a lot more fun watching them grow up slowly.

Typically in the males the first winter will be semi kitten coat, the 2nd winter you get a decent coat and the third winter is when its full and really blossoms. The head will continue to widen, the coat will get thicker ect. This breed is a whole lot of fun, enjoy your new baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses! He's around 5 months old now and his tail is quite bushy and he has some wild britches
I see now that he is just growing and developing and has so far to go...I love him, he's wonderful!