Siberian cat

adamek174

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, what do you think about Siberian cats? Do you like traditional or maybe Neva Masquerade? I am thinking about getting one, but I am not sure where to start. Thank you for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have a Siberian. She is very affectionate.

The reason they got a Siberian, specifically, is that my mom is allergic to most cats, and she read that Siberians are hypoallergenic. I know that there is controversy surrounding this, and not all Siberians are always hypoallergenic. But in my mom's case, she definitely can tolerate her cat much more than she can tolerate my DSH.

This might not be a question you are asking about at all, but I just wanted to chime in with my experience in this regard.

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know much about them other than they are beautiful. I am thinking of traditional, but whichever your heart desires. If I am not mistaken, they were on the list of friendliest cats when I was researching Manx.

tolstaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Real Siberian cats andd Neva Masquerade have absolutely different personalities. As well as Half-Persian and Real Siberian.

So, if you need just home sofa pet for decorative or gentle companion for indoore activity, you are better to choose Neva or Persian.

In fact, real Siberians are very cute and have a beautiful fur coat but they need a lot of training, games and outdoors activity. Because they are natural breed and natural hunters. If you are living in sky building Siberians can jump one day to hunt birds or rats, etc. Or even you are or aliens can be their hunting goal. They are extremely playful and have a lot of health and energy for such instinctive behaviour. They are perfect in a house with land attached, forests nearby or town food shops and streets with rats. In this way, Siberians are spending their energy outside on a regular basis while coming home to wash themself, eat and sleep. So, you and your Siberian pet will be calm and happy friends.

Most of Siberian cats exported from Russia since 90 have been a new made breed with Persians in their origin. So, nobody can tell for the sure what to expect from such a mix of polar qualities. I would prefer to recommend Real ancient Siberian as a companion for house life in a suburb with more natural environment or pure decorative Persian, Bali or Siamese cat for high floor apartment.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pure-bred Siberian, Leonid and I have had a another, Boris. They seem like very special cats. Very affectionate. Both were lap cats and wanted a close relationship with me. Both are more traditional Siberians, Boris being a grey tabby and Leonid being cream colored. They tend to be very healthy cats, with few genetic diseases caused by inbreeding. They were indoor cats only. I am happy to answer any other questions you may have. I love Siberians!