Siamese will not eat from food bowl

itsme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI Everyone!

I just adopted a 2 year old Siamese and am having problems getting him to eat from his food bowl. I read a previous thread about cats hiding their food, but this is a little different as he will absolutely not eat his kibble unless it is on the floor.
He came to us very sick with a respiratory virus and would not eat for several days. He was very weak and I was trying everything. He would not and now will not eat wet food. I finally got him to eat by opening the bag (more smell?) and letting him take the food out onto the floor and eat it. At first I was just happy he was eating something but now he has gotten better and it is just a mess.
Has anyone experienced this before? And if so how did you deal with it? Or am I just doomed to clean up kibble?!

Thanks Much!
~ItsMe

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. What kind of bowl do you have for him? He might be struggling with the height of the rim or it could be slippery - hard for him to get a hold of the kibble. Particularly if he was weak and ill. He may not eat wet food because he never has - often cats aren't picky eaters at all and will only like the one thing all the time. This is a bonus and not something I would fight if I were you!!

Sashka is a little tiny girl, like a Siamese which are generally small and dainty, and she has trouble with larger bowls. We got around it by getting her a large, flat dish and she doesn't drop the food on the floor anymore first.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to add that some cats will not eat out of a bowl if their whiskers touch the sides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I think this could be a problem. The rims on both of the bowls I tried were somewhat raised. I will try a shallow dish.
Thanks for your quick response

Shashka is very pretty. My cat is grey as well we named him Sterling.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try using a plate or saucer. Otherwise, put a placemat under his eating area. It will make clean-up a lot faster. Spot keeps dropping the food from his plate onto the ground, which attracts ants by the dozens.