Siamese wildcat

mlopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long for me to reply...I was out of town.
Anyhow the way I have prevented Bella from biting is to not allow her to do it. If we are playing or she just has the inclination to attack my hands and bite I stop what I am doing, say NO and walk away. This has seemed to work, she knows I will not tolerate the bites (even friendly ones).
Maybe you can get your little ball of energy comfortable with a harness and leash so that the two of you can take walks together. This way she can get a taste of the outdoors without being an outdoor cat.
Yes Bella is "toilet" trained it took some time but it is very nice-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Monica - I am so impressed!! Did you use that book - How to Toilet Train your Cat? I want to do it!! Is it just a matter of moving the litter box closer and closer and then on the toilet and then gone? Wow!

Another question - have you been sucessful to train your cat to not do things you don't want her to do - like jump up on counters, eat plants, dig in plants (some of my current problems)? I use a spray bottle - but that just gives her a challenge to go back and do it again as soon as she gets the chance! she is TOO smart!

mlopez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I did start by reading that book but there are things to consider first before you begin toilet training.
-are they spayed/neutered???this has to be first
-elimination problems out side the litter box? if yes, get those taken care of first
-do you have a dedicated restroom(toilet) for your cat? It can be inconvieient with a multiperson household( I live alone with one restroom so it wasn't bad).
-patience patience patience

There are things I would change about the book in hind sight to make things a little easier...when you are ready I can give you some tips.
I wrote someone last year who was starting to toilet train her cat I looked up the thread:
-page: 7
-date: 11-19-01
-title: Toilet Training
-username: ducky21
As far as training Bella to not do "bad" things...well mostly she is responsive to NO. I have never had to spray her with water to get her to stop. The one thing she had a problem with in the begining was scratching. I solved that problem by putting packing tape sticky side out (they have stuff in the stores specifically for this problem I think it is called sticky paws
????) on pieces of furniture that she thought was appealing. Eventually she got the hint and stopped after a few weeks. Other than that she is pretty well behaved...I guess I'm lucky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Monica - I might try it - I also live alone with one bathroom - so I guess you need to move the litter box back and forth during the training?

Why do you say she must be spayed first?

Regarding behavior - she responds to no also, but then goes back and does it again (especially when I'm not looking)- I'm trying to teach her to not do certain things at all - like dig in the plants.

I'm lucky so far on the scratching thing - I got her two scratching posts as soon as I got her and she uses them regularly - it's great!

I'm sure she will settle down as she gets older - she's only 5 mos. right now.

dvanguilder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry she will calm down. I have -- had two (one put to sleep last year) and they are only 5 years old. They were a bit crazed at first but they do calm down. Esp. at night. I would just pick one up put her on my chest and pet her until she calmed down. Now they (my siamese and tortie) sleep next to me every night. Have been doing that for years. Occasionally, I hear the running down the hallway and thump thump of them running down the steps. Not as often after they are about 1.5 years old.
She is a beautiful kitty. Love this breed of kitty so much. Enjoy!