Siamese/snowshoe Kitten With Breathing Issues?

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little kitten is half siamese and half snowshoe, about 4.5 months old. He basically looks like a snowshoe kitten with siamese markings.

Since we got him 2-3 months ago, I've noticed that he seems to have some breathing problems, especially when he falls asleep. It kind of sounds like mild snoring (like something is stuck in your nose). At first we thought it was an URI, but it still persists to this day. He never has any discharge from his eyes, nor does he have any mucous coming out of his nose, but sometimes it looks like he has a dried booger up there :D
He sneezes only when he grooms himself and drinks water haha.

Aside from his ongoing digestive issues, he's a perfectly normal and active kitten. I pestered my vet about it, and he told me it was just an URI, but that seems unlikely since he had it his whole life.

Anyone have a cat that just seems to be a heavy nose-breather? :p
We had a kitten back in January that passed away from FIP, so I'm getting paranoid over everything.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is active, runs, wrestles a good while, merry galloppades around the house?

If he hasnt got FIP yet, he probably wont. FIP isnt that contagious. And I suppose you had cleaned and desinficated as well you could.
But the safest for next cat is an adult. Adult has better natural immunity against FIP...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think its unlikely he has FIP. Its more likely a chronic URI thing...but I'm just curious if "heavy nose-breathing" is a thing in cats :) My dad happens to be a "heavy nose breather" so there's that haha

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat Pushy is a snorer. He does have something wrong with the inside of his nose, which makes it more likely to get clogged with snot. He's always had quite a few boogers, and he's had herpes for a while which makes one of his eyes constantly runny. It may be that your kitten has an issue inside his nostril. If he's breathing OK apart from the snoring and seems otherwise healthy I personally wouldn't be worried. At least his snores are probably a lot cuter than your dad's! :lol:

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Pushy is a snorer. He does have something wrong with the inside of his nose, which makes it more likely to get clogged with snot. He's always had quite a few boogers, and he's had herpes for a while which makes one of his eyes constantly runny. It may be that your kitten has an issue inside his nostril. If he's breathing OK apart from the snoring and seems otherwise healthy I personally wouldn't be worried. At least his snores are probably a lot cuter than your dad's! :lol:
Pushy! What a cute name. My SO named our cat Scruffy, so they both have adjective-names and stuffy noses :p

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please read slykat12's Post #6 here:

Audible breathing

Opinion: if your veterinarian has actually said that the cause is, "just an upper respiratory infection," and hasn't made a thorough examination of your kitten's respiratory system to rule out tonsillitis, deviated septum et. al. it would behoove you to consult with another veterinarian.

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read slykat12's Post #6 here:

Audible breathing

Opinion: if your veterinarian has actually said that the cause is, "just an upper respiratory infection," and hasn't made a thorough examination of your kitten's respiratory system to rule out tonsillitis, deviated septum et. al. it would behoove you to consult with another veterinarian.
Thanks for the link! Sounds very similar to what our kitten has.
If the breathing issue sounds worse or is accompanied with discharge, I will prod our vet about that more. We've already cycled through at least 6 veterinarians (the vets just don't seem very invested here in Germany), and our current one makes us feel comfortable for the time being :)