Siamese coloring

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaded78

I see, I didnt realize this was such an elite club. I didnt have any intentions on diluting or lessening the breed in any way. My siamese is a purebred, and the kitten I would be buying is also pure. I am not intending to breed so that I can have a houseful of them myself, but rather to allow others in my area to also have a siamese kitten of their own if they wish. I already have 2 other cats from a shelter. I didn't mean to waste anyone's time.
Chris, we are far away from being "an elite club". We are concerned - VERY concerned - with the idea of what you have proposed to do simply because it is 1) unethical, 2) irresponsible and 3) considered to be backyard breeding.

Even though your cat may be "purebred", you have already told us you do not have her pedigree. If she isn't registered and you do not have physical possession of the Terms of Sale or other documents specifically giving you the right to breed her then you ARE in fact diluting or lessening the breed in EVERY way.

I do not consider your posts to be a waste of time - quite the contrary! I feel it is of the utmost of importance for you to understand why breeding your girl is not at all what you should do and am quite willing to stay here, posting replies to any and all questions you have about it until you do understand. No one is purposely trying to alienate you. We welcome your messages and hope you will come here often to read and learn from us as well as the others who post here.

Please try to understand that as responsible breeders, we have gone to great lengths to ensure we are breeding ethically and responsibly. Part of that responsibility is to prevent someone (such as yourself) from taking the progress we have labored long and hard to achieve and making a huge mess of it. Even though your feelings may be hurt by our reluctance to assist you, please know that it is our own love of cats which prevents us from doing so. If you would but allow yourself to be open to that instead of thinking us all evil villans set upon placing roadblocks in your way, you would learn far more about breeding from us than you would on your own.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! The reason you want to breed is so others in the area can have one too? Sorry but that's BYB and we DON'T support that on this site.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, I'm not a breeder but I support Gaye on this matter completely.

In my humble opinion, if you do not have papers for your cat and you haven't thoroughly researched what you are doing, then please do not start breeding this cat. You will be doing a great disservice to ethical breeders out there and not taking proper care of blood lines that can have an impact later on.

To do this, in my opinion, is no better than breeding a couple of barn cats because you like kittens.

Please listen to Gay's advice and do not breed your cat. Enjoy her for the beautiful pet she is.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may sound elitist, but when you think of the pure breeds with severe medical problems, you can understand better. Every animal has a weakness, and hopefully by closely monitoring the breeding, they are bred for strengths, not simply color.

I totally understand how you feel, if you have a gorgeous, wonderful kitty, at first glance it seems like a good idea to let her have a few litters. But you risk breeding health problems into the offspring unless you thoroughly research her lines. Also, many animals sold by backyard breeders are inbred. My purebred Akita (dog) has the same male ancestor show up twice in her papers. To me, she is top of the line, and anyone would be lucky to have such a great dog. But as an Akita, she is not show quality, and not breeding quality. The more people like me, with a low quality (talking papers only) dog being bred, the more likely the breeds bad tendencies (like aggression and thyroid problems) would show. And no top level stud would be allowed to breed to her, and even if they were it would cost me more than the pups would be worth! So she would be bred to another dog who looked perfectly fine to its owner, like she looks great to me, but we would have inferior pups.

How do I know she is inferior? She was originally purchased from a pet shop, and no breeder worth their salt would sell at a pet shop. Also, I never tried to show her, and that, in combination with research of an animals lines, is how you prove quality (I think).

I'm speaking here as a non-breeder who fosters abandoned cats. I have had 2 foster litters in the past two years, and while I love what I do, having buried 5 kittens in two years, I don't know how the breeders can keep going! Whenever I lose a kitten, and have to listen to my children grieve, it makes me rethink fostering. I am way too much of a wimp to breed cats!

Anyhow, welcome to TCS. You will find more information here than anywhere else. If you do decide to become a breeder, you will have more knowledge and better quality cats than most new breeders with help from the TCS wizards!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to add that i feel bad that Jaded probably won't come back to this discussion. I hope that person didn't think we were picking on him/her. There is a lot of valuable information in this thread and the attitude of the people posting is not reflected in type, you can only hear that in the voice.
So if your reading Jaded-please don't be afraid to post questions we would really like to help you with any questions you may have. =0)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have to say that I am more than just a bit saddened by the fact that we have probably lost Jaded ... *sigh* ... I was hoping we could assist her in "trying before you buy" - in that maybe she would agree to foster a pregnant cat in her area and raise the babies so she could get a taste of what it takes from that end of things to see if breeding was really right for her. It may have been - it may not have been. Now, it seems we will never know.

I suppose I should feel glad there are so many here who feel so strongly and are willing to step in with their opinions, but in this circumstance, I am not at all glad. We've got a responsibility to educate those who come to us and if we cannot address their questions with kindness and respect, we will never reach them because they will not feel safe coming to us for help. I do not exclude myself. We ALL should have been more careful of her feelings.

Let this serve as a lesson for all of us for the future - if we cannot respond with respect and kindness, we shouldn't post a reply at all.

Gia, I am going to split your post off into it's own thread - it doesn't make sense to go so off topic.

~gf~

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gaye - I know this post is direct at me and that's cool

I will apoligise openly about the comments I made on the colour Flame Point Siamese. Sorry but it's not a colour and I don't believe in the name. Just my opinion.

G

ghostuser

Chocolate is recessive so both parents must carry chocolate to give you chocolate kittens. If the mother is a red point and the father a seal point, all of the girls will be tortie points and all of the males will be red points (unless both parents carry dilute and then you might get a cream point or a blue tortie point).