Siamese Coat Problem

memeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, 

I have a problem concerning Hazel, my Siamese, and her coat. About a month after we got Hazel and her sister, her coat got fluffy, definitely not how a Siamese's coat should be. I tried changing her diet to grain free, and that helped a little but it is still quite fluffy. The thing is though, is that her sister has no problem what so ever. Her fur is soft, glossy and close lying to the body.

I'm unsure what to do next and would really appreciate any advice.   

Thanks much, 

MeMeow. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Could you post a picture of your cat's fur ? Just so we can see exactly what you mean :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

memeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi GemsGem, 

Sorry for the late response. I had a few unexpected busy days. I've attached two photos. You can see that her fur sticks up a bit and she also has this line of fur along her spine that sticks ups a lot. I've tried to show this in the second picture, it kind of looks like a mohawk. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old is Hazel? If she's still a kitten it may just take some time for her coat to mature. Have you talked to her breeder to find out if any of her other cats have had this problem?

What products are you using to bathe and groom her? I've found that with my abyssinian finishing up the bath with a texturizing shampoo makes a difference in how close the fur lies. I also bathe him at least 2 days before a show because he tends to stay fluffy for about 24 hours after the bath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

memeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi GoldyCat. Thanks for your reply!

Hazel is 9 months old, soon to be 10. I have talked to the breeder about this previously, he said it was most likely due to diet. So I tried his suggestion of adding fish in her diet for the oils. I also changed to grain free after doing some research. Her coat seemed slightly better after this but it had not improved entirely. Hazel and her sister eat the same food and Lucy has no problems at all. 

When I've bathed her I've just used a normal cat shampoo. To brush her I use a furminator and then a soft bristle brush. I've never heard of the texturizing shampoo before. Are there any brands you would recommend? 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've always used Jerob because that's what a friend, who happens to be an aby breeder, recommended. I know there are other brands out there, but can't tell you anything about how well they work since I haven't tried them.