Siamese Catsitting Diaries Day 2

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another suggestion - when he's "talking" to you - talk back - carry on a conversation with him - ask him how's his day, nite, etc. I know it sounds silly, but he just wants attention. Will he allow you to just pick him up and carry him around?

The suggestion of feeding first is a good one - when they have their heads in a bowl, you can get other things done.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is precisely why I do not hire professional pet sitters when I need someone to care for my cats. A trusted neighbor or family member will spend more time with my guys and give them the attention they require - which is more than 30 to 45 minutes only once per day. I am not at all trying to be ugly here, but honestly my dear, your business will do much, much better if you cater to the animals you serve - and stop charging around the time factor. Leaving a detailed note to the owners about each visit, activities, cute things their pets did, how much food they ate or medicines they received is another good way of endearing yourself to your clients.
LOL! Not to worry! I appreciate your advice but I've done this for a very long time with great success. I'm sure I've got it under control. Since my company has been in business for over 12 years and we've cared for thousands of animals, I must be doing SOMETHING right!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

It sounds to me like it is more than just lonliness -- it sounds like this cat gets over-stimulated very easily (the biting, leg grabbing, vocalization...). Personally, if he were mine, I would find it quite burdensome if I couldn't leave without the cat freaking out. I hope that the elderly owners don't find him to be more then they can handle. Do you think this is normal or is there some kind of medication that would make him less easily stimulated?
Radar is like this, and there is no way on this earth that I would medicate him! It's part of his personality. He is not always the easiest cat in the world and we have to shut him out of the room when we have guests because he gets overexcited and plays too rough, but I love him for who he is. Even when he gets overexcited and gets rough with us he has never broken skin. He is not at all burdensome, he's an absolute joy and the light of my life. My catsitter also loves him dearly, but just makes sure to wear long sleeves and thick socks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please check out my new thread

Siamese Catsitting Diaries Day 3
Picture enclosed and update.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Gosh, I have a real problem with medicating to calm - whether it's kids or animals.

I have to say Bijou was a little ankle nipper when he was a kitten. I would just stop and stand very still and say NO loudly. He grew out of it by about 1 year old and hasn't bitten or scratched since. In fact, he is very very gentle.
I totally agree. I do not believe in medication. If your 1 yr old kid was crying would you give them medication to be quiet? NO, you would find out what the problem was and fix it! I think that is just cruel!

I think all kittens will nip at first until you let them know its not acceptable.But if you just keep letting them do it,and not tell them NO, they won't even know their doing something wrong. I strongly agree with using NO BOOMER! my PHX knows what that word means, and if I say it- he usually listens!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

he usually listens!
Lol! A cat that listens! Would you send a video so my cats and I can discuss it? Their hearing seems to only work when I open the pantry where their food is! Ha, ha!

In all seriousness though I wouldn't want to medicate either. Though something like Rescue Remedy or Feliway might be a solution for them. It raises an interesting question about the cat. If he is biting for more attention then why does he bite them if they are with him all the time. Especially since this sounds like a change in his behavior. I wonder if he's been checked by a vet just to be safe?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I said he USUALLY listens. He knows the word, but listens when he wants.

For example, I allow PHX to go anywhere in the house he wants. Even on the counters. Unless I'm eating at the moment, then he can't beg for food. Last night when me and my boyfriend were eating.... he came right up to my plate and I said "NO PHX, THIS IS MY FOOD GO AWAY-NO" and he jumped down and sat by my chair. Coincidence?? He does this stuff all the time when I say "NO" he leaves me alone!! hehe. I think animals understand us more than we think they do

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

LOL I said he USUALLY listens. He knows the word, but listens when he wants.

For example, I allow PHX to go anywhere in the house he wants. Even on the counters. Unless I'm eating at the moment, then he can't beg for food. Last night when me and my boyfriend were eating.... he came right up to my plate and I said "NO PHX, THIS IS MY FOOD GO AWAY-NO" and he jumped down and sat by my chair. Coincidence?? He does this stuff all the time when I say "NO" he leaves me alone!! hehe. I think animals understand us more than we think they do
I also agree. Bijou will seldom come when called (unless it's his decision) but if I say a loud/sharp NO, he knows exactly what it means and responds. He'll sometimes get a bit rough with Mika and she's half his size, so I say "NO, Bijou" and he abruptly stops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsitterbea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a very lucky parent of three Tabbies. They are such good kitties and believe it or not they come when I call them every time. Not sure what I did but whatever it was, it worked. And despite everything that has happened during the "Recall" of pet food and their own food being recalled, my kitties have been spared and are happy and healthy! I love them so much. Here are my babies.

http://www.catster.com/cats/505459

http://www.catster.com/cats/505585