Siamese behavior

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new cat is a long haired seal point mutt and she's the most talkative cat I've ever had. She's still in isolation, and whenever I go into the room, she screams at me. I know Siamese can be very vocal, so how do I tell if she's just talking to me or if something's very wrong?

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a female cat who is very vocal and loves company. When she wants attention she is not shy or quiet about letting me know about it. I've also heard that Siamese cats tend to be very social and they usually recommend you get them in pairs or at least have another cat around for them.

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a neighborhood stray Siamese that adopted my family and he is VERY vocal! Most Siamese i've known are that way

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My white cat might have some siamese in her half the time i can't get her to shut up lol...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvzmykatz

I have a female cat who is very vocal and loves company. When she wants attention she is not shy or quiet about letting me know about it. I've also heard that Siamese cats tend to be very social and they usually recommend you get them in pairs or at least have another cat around for them.
Unfortunately, integrating her with my other two is not going well. She just slipped out of her room while I was going in and flat out attacked one of them. Had to beat them both with a pillow to get them apart. Not sure she's ever going to be fully integrated. :-(

Strange, because she was in a foster home with other cats and didn't kill any of them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovely2011

Unfortunately, integrating her with my other two is not going well. She just slipped out of her room while I was going in and flat out attacked one of them. Had to beat them both with a pillow to get them apart. Not sure she's ever going to be fully integrated. :-(

Strange, because she was in a foster home with other cats and didn't kill any of them.
Cats identify each other by smell and sometimes it takes time to do an introduction slowly. We kept Mika and Bijou separated for a full month except for supervised visits. Swap out any blankets or towels to get them used to each other's smells. Try putting a dab of vanilla on the base of the tail and the top of the head so they all smell the same.

Some folks get lucky and the cats get along right away, others have to do slow introductions. It seems you need to do the slow intro so don't try to rush it.

makeshift heart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also get a cat harness and leash so that when you are introducing them you have control over her.

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MakeShift Heart

You could also get a cat harness and leash so that when you are introducing them you have control over her.
She has other issues (past abuse) so getting a harness on her is nearly impossible. I'm not rushing, she's just great at slipping out the door to the bedroom when I go in. And baby gates are no match for her.

Her foster mom told me it took three months, so...ugh. Slow.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She has other issues (past abuse) so getting a harness on her is nearly impossible. I'm not rushing, she's just great at slipping out the door to the bedroom when I go in. And baby gates are no match for her.

Her foster mom told me it took three months, so...ugh. Slow.
I agree with going slow.

I was going to say earlier, Bijou actually has conversations with me. It's the cutest thing.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have some possibly helpful ideas I can share, if you can explain what you mean by flat out attach. I have a DSH Shadow who I love but has tried to kill all of my cats including her own mother. Also when I say killed I mean had them by the throat as if they where a prey animal she would hunt outside.

But you can integrate cats as everyone says, just take it slow. It is very true that sometimes it needs to be done over months. But I have some other pointers I have learned first hand.

Please remember though you can get cats to coexist but not "love each other" in all cases.

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I was going to say earlier, Bijou actually has conversations with me. It's the cutest thing.
That's what I'm wondering if she's doing. I've never had a cat this talkative, so I can't tell if something's wrong or she's just talking. How do you tell?

Originally Posted by Cat Person

I have some possibly helpful ideas I can share, if you can explain what you mean by flat out attach. I have a DSH Shadow who I love but has tried to kill all of my cats including her own mother. Also when I say killed I mean had them by the throat as if they where a prey animal she would hunt outside.

Please remember though you can get cats to coexist but not "love each other" in all cases.
My other two cats hate each other but coexist, so I quite understand the concept.

What happened today was the new cat slipped out between my legs as I was going into the room. She ran out, saw another cat curled up on the couch sleeping, and looked for about a minute, then attacked. It didn't look like she went for the throat, but she darted at her, then they locked bodies and rolled around screaming. Took about 30 seconds of beating them with the pillow to get them to let go. No one was injured, which I thought was strange judging by the noises they were making.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I'm wondering if she's doing. I've never had a cat this talkative, so I can't tell if something's wrong or she's just talking. How do you tell?

My other two cats hate each other but coexist, so I quite understand the concept.

What happened today was the new cat slipped out between my legs as I was going into the room. She ran out, saw another cat curled up on the couch sleeping, and looked for about a minute, then attacked. It didn't look like she went for the throat, but she darted at her, then they locked bodies and rolled around screaming. Took about 30 seconds of beating them with the pillow to get them to let go. No one was injured, which I thought was strange judging by the noises they were making.
The first part of my recommendation is to rub each cat with a separate towel and then give it to the other cat. In other words rub cat A with a towel and then give it to cat B. Then so own down the line.

Once each cat is used to the other cats scent on the towel then bring one cat to the door of where the new cat is housed and give the resident cat a treat for sniffing the new cat on the other side of the door. Then do the same with the new cat in the room and resident cat outside the door.

Once the cats are used to each other threw a door do the introductions face to face. But treat each cat, let them eat it and then put the new cat in the room and shut the door. Then allow the resident cat to walk away. At this stage try and keep the sessions so short the cats do not have time to have an aggressive response.

In your case you very likely will have less of a problem then I do/did because the cats did not injure each other. Plus the new cat did not go for the resident cats throat.

Hope that was helpful and if you need any clarification please let me know