Shy kitty

pattykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a new cat from my shelter today, he's about four years old. I brought him home and let him explore a bit on his own and gave him attention when he let me and now he has been hiding in my closet for about four hours now. He lets me pet him when ever I come in but he won't come out. Is this normal behaviour for a new cat?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is. It's all very new to him, and you don't really know what his background is. Get some treats and make a trail out of the closet. Don't grab him whatever you do. Let him become comfortable. It may take him a few days or even weeks to get used to you. Mingo didn't hide from me at first, but it took a really long time to trust me. He's now quite affectionate, but he still doesn't like to be picked up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pattykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I haven't tried to pick him up, I want him to get comfortable in his new home on his own :)

lillykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just adopted an undersocialized kitten who lived under the bed for a couple weeks and shes even coming out now. Yours will be out in no time, jut have patience.