Show your Tree/Holiday deocorations here!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today my wife and I went out and got ours Christmas Tree. Last year the one we had was alittle bit too big, had to stand on a chair to put on the star (we're both short)
and had a hard time getting it out the door to throw it out without pine needles going everywhere. This year we got one just the right size. Plus, the lot is right next to a local seafood place, and I got a coupon for a free Fish 'n Chip dinner. Sweet

It was our second year doing a tree, and first year doing a tree with a cat. First, I learned from my mistakes last year and did all my trimming BEFORE I set up the tree. Unfortunately our stand crapped out on us like it did last year and we had to get a new one. It's one of the plastic ones with 4 screws to hold the tree in place, except each screw was supposed to have a rubber stopper at the end, and only two of them did, so the tree wouldn't stay straight. We had to get a new stand, and then take the decorated tree out and put it in the new one..that was fun. It's more sturdy but not as heavy as the last so hopefully Reeses won't try and climb the tree, just in case
As far as how she's behaving with the tree, so far so good. She tried chewing on a few branches (will that make cats sick?) and of course had to do the usual batting of ornaments. She did try to climb in the lower part of the tree twice, but I don't think she'll get too far

Anyway here are a few pictures I took. Already she likes sleeping under the tree, as you can see in this picture. What's cool about this picture is it looks like her eyes are lit up too

..and here it is all lit up with the lights off, no flash. Oooooo!

...oh and if anyone knows a good way to remove pine sap from your hands, let me know

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very pretty.
The thing with cats climbing stuff is you never know if they're going to lightly and gracefully dash up or do that thing where they jump and clutch with all their weight and whatever it is topples over.

I can see that tree crashing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

...oh and if anyone knows a good way to remove pine sap from your hands, let me know
I'm a florist...i always have to go through getting sap off my hands everytime we make fresh wreaths
But the best thing i've found to get sap off is Acetone (paint thinner) - put a little bit on a paper towel, rub the sap off, then immediately wash your hands and then put some lotion on them so they don't get dry. If you don't have acetone, borrow some of your wife's fingernail polish remover.
Works like a charm. (as far as the fingernail polish remover goes, it's ok if it's non-acetone, but acetone works best for getting sap off your skin)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I've merged your thread with the existing thread we have for the decorations
Ok thank you. I didn't see the thread before

Well so far the tree is still standing after one night. I think she's kind of lost interest in it. I haven't seen her doing much with it other than maybe bat a low branch or play with the tree bag. I was playing with her last night though and she jumped in the air, moved over a few inches mid air and landed on the tree. My bad

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is my first christmas out on my own, living with Vinnie and I wanted a tree, he really didnt and our roommate(Vinnies cousin) wants nothing to do with a tree. Well I couldnt help it, i was only going to get this little 2'-3' tabletop tree but I was driving somewhere one day, passed a tree farm and saw the cutest little tree with my name on it. That moment i decided the tree was going in our bedroom. (just so the roomie wouldnt get mad) Well heres some pics of our little 5' tree and the few ornaments we have on it.

Krickets ornament right below the star.

Vinnie and I went to Target and I told him to find a special ornament and this is what he came back with.....(its a green plastic dinosaur)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I've been playing with my camera and reading tutorials all day. Here are some of the results. I can't decide what I like best. I used a tripod and can't believe the difference it makes!

Super Macro mode- no flash

Super Macro w/flash

Macro mode w/flash (by the way.. this is a hand blown, hand painted ornament from Poland. Kind of interesting looking.

macro mode w/flash

macro mode w/flash (someone here may recognize this ornament)

super macro mode w/flash

Last 2. Angel ornament macro no flash

Angel ornament macro w/flash

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amazing how much difference there is in essentially the same shot, just different settings. Very interesting effects, Tammie. Thanks for showing those.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some of mine:
This was the tree when it was in "decent" shape. I'm in the process of changing my theme this year (and colors), so I"m a little short on decorations, but I figure I'm going to wait till right after the holidays and then snatch up all the deals for next year!

Here's a few of the decorations:

This is an angel that I've had since I was a year old. My parents passed it on to me and it hangs on my tree every year.

This is what the tree looks like now. Not too much damage, but please notice the "catwalk" my kits have installed at the mantle level of my tree.

Here's the mantle with our newest stocking just recently added for our new addition - Chance!

Since he's the only man in the house, he gets a color of his own - burgandy! (Also notice the tinfoil across the mantle. I tried to use this to deter whoever was walking around my tree, but hasn't worked.
)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Amazing how much difference there is in essentially the same shot, just different settings. Very interesting effects, Tammie. Thanks for showing those.
I kind of thought it was interesting. And I like the sort of soft, blurry look created in some of the shots but I also like the clear more defined ones. I'm just playing around. I got this camera about a year ago and am trying to figure out some of the more advanced options on it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Here's some of mine:
This was the tree when it was in "decent" shape. I'm in the process of changing my theme this year (and colors), so I"m a little short on decorations, but I figure I'm going to wait till right after the holidays and then snatch up all the deals for next year!

Here's a few of the decorations:

This is an angel that I've had since I was a year old. My parents passed it on to me and it hangs on my tree every year.

This is what the tree looks like now. Not too much damage, but please notice the "catwalk" my kits have installed at the mantle level of my tree.

Here's the mantle with our newest stocking just recently added for our new addition - Chance!

Since he's the only man in the house, he gets a color of his own - burgandy! (Also notice the tinfoil across the mantle. I tried to use this to deter whoever was walking around my tree, but hasn't worked.
)
All the decorations look lovely. Your house looks so warm and welcoming!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Here's some of mine:
Your tree is so pretty! I would love to have a nice big full tree, but even at 14 years old Sash would not allow it. He's way too destructive with trees.
Lately, he's been getting on the back of my wing chair and trying to eat and tear down the garland I have on the staircase, so I have to pull the chair out so he can't reach it. My little brat.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't done a lot of decorating this year, and it happened late. For a variety of reasons, I ended up deciding not to put up the tree, and when we go that route, everything gets VERY simplified. The livingroom gets a couple of pine ropes, with lots of cones, on the valance...

...closeup, showing gold bow, and green stained glass star...

...and then some pretty bows here and there...

...and here's the loot before we got into it this morning...

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I would bump this thread up now.

Here's our little Christmas tree

up close pic at night

some lights I put on top of the kitchen cabinets

Come on, let's see some of your Christmas trees/decorations!!