Show your snakes!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love a snake, but just can't handle feeding live.  I would have to order pinkies, and I don't know how reliable the frozen mice business is.  My dream snake is a ball python, as a friend had one and and he was wonderful.  I had him around my neck and he stuck his tongue out and touched my nose!  She couldn't even talk on the phone if that snake was loose in the house without him looking for her, wanting to be picked up.  I am not comfortable handling larger snakes without close supervision; I worry about damaging their delicate vertebrae.       

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Wish I found snakes when we go on walks. Can't pick up the ones where we live, unless you want a trip to the hospital.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love a snake, but just can't handle feeding live.  I would have to order pinkies, and I don't know how reliable the frozen mice business is.  My dream snake is a ball python, as a friend had one and and he was wonderful.  I had him around my neck and he stuck his tongue out and touched my nose!  She couldn't even talk on the phone if that snake was loose in the house without him looking for her, wanting to be picked up.  I am not comfortable handling larger snakes without close supervision; I worry about damaging their delicate vertebrae.       
I've found the frozen rodent business to be pretty decent. If you lurk around the reptile forums you can find out which ones are favorites and which ones are considered sketchy (I'm using Big Cheese currently). The shipping seems high but when you figure the price per rodent (if you order 6 month's worth) it's usually less than local prices unless you can find a good local provider (pet store prices are high).

Ball pythons never eat mouse pinkies :). Right out of the egg they start on rat pinks or hopper mice and by the time they're at their new homes should be on rat pups or small mice. They are ideal starter snakes except for their irregular eating habits :/. That can alarm a lot of first-time keepers. They sometimes go months without eating and it can be a little frustrating. They're also very inactive. Which is nice because that makes them docile, but some people prefer a more active pet. Corn snakes are good starter snakes for people who want a better eater and more active snake.

I waaannnttt one of these guys: https://sites.google.com/site/homichsherps/cc-2016

The breeder is in Minneapolis and I'm going to The Cities in August so it's really ideal timing. I'm just not sure if I should get another snake yet, or if I'm really ready for a blood python. Argh.