Should we get a second cat?

ams047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!  Here's my question:

My boyfriend and I have one cat.  Harvey's a 2-year-old neutered male, and we brought him home from the shelter about a year ago.  We'd both love to adopt another cat, but want to make sure it's a good idea first.  

Harvey's very good-natured with people.  He's cuddly and affectionate toward us, loves being picked up, and friendly with visitors.   He's pretty high-energy, runs around and plays quite a bit.

Never seen him interact with another cat, though, and when he's hanging out by the window and sees a neighbor cat outside, he freaks out.  His tail gets bushy, and sometimes he skitters away sideways or races from window to window, making huffing noises.  Not hisses or growls, just pants.  I don't know if he's scared, territorial, or what.    

I guess you really never know, but it'd be nice to have some idea.   Could I take his friendliness with people to mean he'd get along well with a new cat?  Or could his bushy-tailed freakouts mean getting a second cat would be a bad idea?  

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm surely no expert but I had one and brought home another. I was advised to get the other gender from my resident cat. As in: I have a male so get him a girlfriend.

I've also been told that while they may not love each other and be BFF's, it I'd possible to create a peaceful home for everyone. The trick is in the introduction!

I just read a great way to do it on the sure. I'll find it and post the link for you. I did something very similar on the advice of my feline-friendly friends but what I read here was even better.

I'm sure you'll get great insight from veteran members! BRB...